Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 08:00 AM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article and comments on the RochesterSubway blog. I noticed a comment from someone that moved to that area from Boston stating that there wasn't a "pedestrian culture" in spite of living in an area of the city that os pedestrian friendly. So, I was wondering as to what are the best neighborhoods in Upstate NY terms of pedestrian/walkability culture? i have some that come to mind, but I was wondering what others would say in terms of neighborhods that best fit this culture.

The comment is under this article, by the way: RochesterSubway.com : Rust Belt Cities: Rather Than Patronizing Young People, Give Them What They Ask For
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 04:29 PM

466 posts, read 982,770 times
Well, Park Ave is VERY walkable. The commenter you are referring to doesn't appear to have much credibility. He laments not having a close supermarket, yet the East Ave Wegmans is practically on Park Ave.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:09 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,140 times
The city I live in has none at all in spite of haveing once been a all walking city.

The old downtown has maybe a pizza shop open after 5 pm while all new business is opened miles outside the city.

A certain part of me misses the old way of small shops but the smarter part knows I'd never go back. As a child I remember downtown shopping, not here but in NY. We'd walk downtown and pick up afew things. It was cute but it's gone. And except for afew people playing at it not coming back. Those little stores sold everything and made money off a lot of items. Now they can't charge what they need to cause everyone has a car or someone who does. The little stores ain't gonna get away with charging three bucks for a roll of toilet paper when anyone can go to walmart and buy the whole case for afew more bucks.

Cats outta the bag and he ain't going back in.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
The city I live in has none at all in spite of haveing once been a all walking city.

The old downtown has maybe a pizza shop open after 5 pm while all new business is opened miles outside the city.

A certain part of me misses the old way of small shops but the smarter part knows I'd never go back. As a child I remember downtown shopping, not here but in NY. We'd walk downtown and pick up afew things. It was cute but it's gone. And except for afew people playing at it not coming back. Those little stores sold everything and made money off a lot of items. Now they can't charge what they need to cause everyone has a car or someone who does. The little stores ain't gonna get away with charging three bucks for a roll of toilet paper when anyone can go to walmart and buy the whole case for afew more bucks.

Cats outta the bag and he ain't going back in.
Yeah, except for a few stores, the bulk of Oneida's shopping is on Route 5 or Route 365 and not Downtown.

As for that commuter, colton, I didn't understand that either unless he meant that there isn't the same degree of foot traffic.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:16 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, except for a few stores, the bulk of Oneida's shopping is on Route 5 or Route 365 and not Downtown.

As for that commuter, colton, I didn't understand that either unless he meant that there isn't the same degree of foot traffic.
I'm not following that commentator on RochesterSubway either colton and ckhthankgod. I've lived in Boston for a year. I'd hardly call Boston a more walkable city unless that poster does mean just foot traffic. In Rochester you could literally walk for miles and miles on trails. I mean if you really want you can walk the Erie canal from as far away as you want right into Rochester. And then you can walk up to the lake and along trails along Lake Ontario.

I think also the poster may not fully understand that outside of the very large metros, most cities are also very much car focused. So they were probably suprised to see cars pull up and Park Ave. Heck, I drive my car into Rochester and park and walk all the time.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:19 AM

466 posts, read 982,770 times
The comment was just beyond ridiculous. I wish I read it when he wrote it so I could respond in kind. This person, who moved from a world class city, to a smaller city that has struggled for a few decades (though has many, many great things about it) and then essentially tries to compare both on even grounds.

This awful logic speaks for itself.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:45 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,317,966 times
I'll throw my 2 cents in for Ithaca's walkabity. Here's a blog entry (from Ithaca Builds site) which actually shows a score:

Ithaca Builds « Ithaca’s Walkability «

And the downtown pedestrian mall is undergoing a renovation:

Ithaca Builds « Commons Rebuild «

Old 09-12-2014, 11:21 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Buffalo is quite walkable / bikable. We are #14 for bike commuters and received an honorable mention for city rating. The city has made a committment over the next few years to add more lanes and mixed use infrastructure.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:59 PM

245 posts, read 432,232 times
I think Ithaca would probably be among the top in terms of walkability. The walkable area itself is pretty large in regard to how many city blocks are dedicated to pedestrians.

In my visits to Syracuse, I felt like the downtown area did have some walkable potential, but I felt that parking in that city is not as readily available as it should be to support it.

Albany's downtown has wide sidewalks and designated parking lots, which does support walkability, but at the loss of trees. The city is very concrete. There are trees in the hills surrounding the city, but within those streets, it can look overly urban. And the Wolf Road/Central Ave area? Yeah. If there is a negative score for walkability, that area gets the lowest in the state. EDIT: Actually, I do need to give the Lark Street area credit for trying to introduce trees into the city.

Saratoga is very walkable, on par with Ithaca, but with fewer blocks for pedestrians than Ithaca has. There is a boatload of free parking lots and free parking garages in Saratoga right in the walkable section, though, which enables people to walk much easier than most other cities. And the nightlife during the summer makes up for the city's small size block-wise.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:13 PM

In terms of small cities, Oswego is pretty good to the things on Bridge Street and the bus system is pretty good in terms of access to big box shopping on the eastern edge of town.

Auburn's Downtown is very walkable and they also have an OK bus system.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-15-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York