Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 05:15 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,382 times

Advertisements

I'm so confused. I did a search online to try to figure it out, but to no avail... I have never been to NY and may be relocating with my family. I'm just lost with where these regions are located. I know this is pathetic, but I especially can't grasp what is meant by upstate - is it everything other than NYC? Someone on this forum mentioned something about "anything south of Syracuse" was difficult for them to refer to as "upstate". I can't remember... I just know I'm confused. Can any good samaritin help me to comprehend this better? Preciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2006, 07:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Here's a map of the regions that New York State is traditionaly broken up into;

The Finger lakes is just where indiciated, and includes the Rochester Metro area. And the area labeled "Chataqua-Allegheney" is what most refer to as the "Southern Tier". The Niagara Frontier includes Buffalo-Niagara Falls metro area. Upstate, to most of the people who actually live there, would be considered all of the labeled regions except for the Hudson Valley, which most would consider part of the NYC metro area.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 05-12-2006 at 07:20 PM..

Old 05-12-2006, 07:26 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,193 times
Pioneer8, I am from Long Island, just outside of NYC. Down here we call any part of New York that is not NYC or Long Island "upstate" as do almost all New Yorkers. However "upstate" is huge. There are many NYC suburbs that are "upstate". Upstate is divided into many areas and several metropolis'. For instance the state capitol, Albany is due north of NYC. Syracuse is about 2hrs west of that. Rochester is further west and a bit north while Buffalo is all the way west. The area between the triangle formed by Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse is the Finger lake region. It is beautiful by the way. That region is anywhere from 4-7 hours from NYC. Finally the Adirondacks make up the North eastern part of the state and is mostly small towns and rural. Either way you slice it, if it is not Long Island or NYC it is "upstate"

Old 05-12-2006, 07:30 PM

I'minformed, You again. (smile) You should be the public relations man for NY State! I would have asked you on the other post where we were writing, but I didn't want to take advantage. Thank you for your time. Really. I wish I could give you some pointers, but I only know about FL and a tiny bit about Texas. I can't wait for snow!! My husband's on a mission to grant my wishes!!! I hope it's in the cards! I've never had a white Christmas; and none of my kids or myself have ever built a snowman. Am I romanticizing? That's retorical. you don't have to respond. THANKS. We'll print out the map... and make it our business to know. And Glen NY... I appreciate your reply so much. I could write another post, but maybe I could "bend your ear" for a minute more. My husband and I were wondering another unusal basic question. Do all New Yorkers have that New York City accent? Just wondering. Did you ever know anyone who knew so little about your home?

Last edited by pioneer8; 05-12-2006 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-12-2006, 07:34 PM

Glad I could help.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:50 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,193 times
Pioneer, No upstate people starting just north on NYC's immediate suburbs talk differently. My children went to camp in the Finger lakes and the other kids would jokingly ask them to say particuliar words so they can hear the difference. I think the upstate accent sound far less "Sopranos" a bit more mid-western, definety sound freindlier. If you don't mind cold snowy winters and love open space, beautiful landscapes you will love upstate NY. Good Luck. Glen

Old 05-12-2006, 08:47 PM

People in Upstate New York have the Great Lakes/Upper Midwest accent. It's much less harsh than the New Yoak accent. The most noticable part of the Upstate NY accent is the strong "A" sound. For instance, Rochester, is pronounced by locals like "Raaaaach'ster. And carbonated beverages are not soda, but rather "pop", which is pronounced "pahp". It's a very humble accent and sounds like glen said, much more "friendly".

Old 05-12-2006, 09:28 PM

Thank you very much, Gentlemen.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:52 PM

38 posts, read 233,027 times
Default southern tier

it's funny, I live near binghamton, and we refer to that as the southern tier, all our news stations do as well, I guess it just depends where you live. Everyone has different labels.

Jamie

Old 07-06-2006, 04:42 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times

This map is almost spot on. I would say two things:

1. The "Southern Tier" is basically the southern portion of upstate all the way over to the Catskills (along 17, within, say, 60 miles of PA).

2. Buffalo and Rochester are often lumped together as WNY. Syracuse is CNY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York