Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 07:10 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times

Advertisements

Found this site while doing some other search work. Took a look at numerous threads. A couple things stand out: New York is far from perfect, but natives of the state are rightfully defensive about it. Also, there are many differences between living/homeowning/jobs/etc downstate vs upstate. I've been around the US a bit..military, travel for my previous job, vacations; here's an axiom that's tough to deny. Go to ANY PLACE in the US. Stay there a while. If you dig, you can come up with a list of negatives about any where...taxes, home $$, schools, local attitudes, weather, infrastructure, etc, etc.. I've heard one too many "NC is the promised land". Well...maybe, but not quite. The wife has relatives in California. Sure, there were lots of neat things to do when we took our sons there, (and a lot of cute girls I recall from my time in the military). BUT, the home prices!, commutes on those CA freeways, and the need to learn Spanish to converse with half the people you run into on a daily basis there. Nothing against CA folks, just used it as an example of "the grass isin't necessarily greener everywhere else". By the way, not to mention females again, but, why is it women in CA have a mortal fear of ever looking over age 30?
I have also noticed a growing number of "homesteaders" from LI, NJ, and NYC buying year-round homes as weekend places up here in rural areas of Broome, Tioga, and Chenango Counties. Wether by coincidence or not, property sales to these "pilgrims" seemed to have picked up after 9/11.
This area of NY I believe is being noticed by a larger number of potential buyers than in days gone by(low $$ being a big reason). We used to be overlooked by the Catskills to our east and the finger lakes to our west. Would-be transplants are free to pick my brain for info on the local area.
Oh...and I never could convince some of the guys I met in the military that I could have actually come from a working farm in NYS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,327 times
Tioga~
Hey neighbor!

Couldn't agree with you more, although growing up in the VERY rural upstate, ny.....it just ROCKS!
Been other places, seen other things, but there's something really cool about walking down the street and everyone knowing your name.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Owego...not Oswego..oh..never mind

LOL! Lauri, I wonder how much of our mail has accidentally gone to our evil twins in Oswego instead of us? At any rate, I'm sure you can relate to much of what I had to say(maybe except for the part about California women!) I really have a tough time figuring out why even some locals are so down on this area. And if anyone should be, it would be my wife and I("former employees of you-know-who"). I'm out on a rural road, but not far from Owego. what's not to like?........................................

Old 02-28-2007, 05:43 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,327 times
Oh no......former employees of.....you don't mean.....I've Been Moved?!?!?!?

I think our area has everything I need. No traffic to deal with, (excepting the occasional manuer spreader holding up traffic!!) and whatever I need, is a max. 30 minute drive. That's fine with me!

Rural road not far from Owego? Sounds like you're not too far from me. I'm right smack between Owego and Ithaca.

I think the biggest problem that new people have with our area is that they get these ideas from tv about what country life is like. Country life is awesome.......if you're used to it. If you've been raised with it. If someone is coming from a totally urban area where everything is at their fingertips, they need to lose their love affair with things like food delivery and major shopping centers 3 feet from their door.

Yeah, country people have their hangups about "city people". That's because we've been there and dealt with it many times before. City people move here then do nothing but complain about how "backwards" we are. We aren't backwards, we're just very laid back. A NY minute to us is like an hour.

As far as people from here that complain about it, well being someone that's left and come back, I say fine...leave. You'll see just how much you miss it, and you'll be back. They get these romantic ideas about what "city life" is like. To me, it's all about noise.

All I wanna hear at night are the crickets and the creek that runs just beyond my back door!

Last edited by Lauri_25ny; 02-28-2007 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: I had an afterthought....it can happen!!

Old 02-28-2007, 05:51 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
My family has been upstate many times, i love it there, especially the Cortland and Ithaca areas I would say you are the lucky ones it is beautiful up there, I am from LI and there are good and bad things about it but I think upstate does "rock"

Old 03-02-2007, 07:16 AM

Lauri 25NY.....I thought "it" was ...."incredibly bad managenent!" Mommix5, weve got 3-4 newbies from downstate/Jersey/LI who've bought rural homes in our area all within the last 2 years. My brother says there was an article in the NYTimes(huge circulation) last year mentioning Broome and Tioga counties as a good deal for relocation or 2nd homes at a good price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York