Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,756 times

Advertisements

I am a mother of 3 kids ages 2,8, and 10. My husband works in Manhatthan and will be driving into work everyday. I am a little confused when it comes to property taxes and how they work, and was wondering which area would be best for raising a family. Looking into Harriman, and Blooming Grove, basically the closest towns into new york. Any help on my concerns would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 07:24 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,149,836 times
Default Taxes,,,a sure thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telisha101297 View Post
I am a mother of 3 kids ages 2,8, and 10. My husband works in Manhatthan and will be driving into work everyday. I am a little confused when it comes to property taxes and how they work, and was wondering which area would be best for raising a family. Looking into Harriman, and Blooming Grove, basically the closest towns into new york. Any help on my concerns would be great.
Hi Telisha,

I live in Orange County, in the town of New Windsor. We pay property taxes to the town, and school taxes separately, to the Washingtonville school district. We have them built into our mortgage payment. The bank basically saves up the tax money and pays it on time to the school district and to the town.

You could also opt to pay it yourself, and not have it built in to the mortgage payment. A realtor would be able to tell you specifics about the area you are interested in.

Not all areas of a certain town have the same school district. Here in New Windsor, along with the Washingtonville School district, there are also kids who go to the Newburgh school district, the Cornwall School district and the Valley Central School district. All of the school districts have different tax levies. The town and school property tax would be based on valuation of the house based on square footage of the house, how much land it's on, etc. Hopefully someone will be able to explain this better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York