Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2008, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 21,220 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved to Ft Drum and I am wondering what restaurants deliver on base for those days I feel like being lazy and not cooking? What are some good restaurants to eat out at? Are there a lot of ice skating rinks around here? I'd love to go since I haven't been in a really long time. What are some local stores to buy winter gear at? I'm in searc of a pair of winter boots and I could not find any I like at the mall or the px. Feel free to tell me any other information about the Ft Drum area you guys think I need to know. I've done some research but I'm always wanting to know more about the area I live in. If you can think of fun things to do please let me know. Thanks ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 04:11 PM

93,594 posts, read 124,322,716 times
Well, I'm from Syracuse and was stationed there from 2000-2003. I went back to the Watertown area to see how it's changed and it actually has expanded in terms of restaurants and stores from when I was there.

As for boots, I would think the Shoe Dept. store, a sporting goods store like Champs, Olympia Sports or something like that would have some. Depending on what type of boots you want, try a ski shop too, if there any that I remember seeing there.

As far as restaurants, I know there was a Chinese restaurant outside of the gate off of Route 11, but I'm not sure if they deliver. Not sure if the Pizza Hut in that same area does either. Jreck Subs is also in that same area, but they don't deliver. Some of the restaurants in maybe in Black River, Evans Mills, Watertown or Great Bend might deliver to the base. I would go to places by Salmon Run Mall on Arsenal Street to eat or a couple of places Downtown like the Crystal. I think there is a place in Great Bend or Black River called the Golden Corral or something like that, that is good too. If you have kids, you might like Friendly's or if you want to go out with the spouse, try Barkeaters in the Mall or the Barracks Inn in picturesque Sackets Harbor. Fairgrounds Inn on Coffeen is another restaurants to check out too.

As far as ice skating, I believe there is a rink at the Watertown Fairgrounds. There is a rink in Alexandria Bay, about 30 minutes north of Ft. Drum. Theresa might have one too. Syracuse has a skating rink in the middle of Downtown in Clinton Square, that you might really like with Christmas Tree and all right there.

Syracuse might also be the place to go to get the boots and winter gear you might want at places like Carousel Center, Shoppingtown and Great Northern Malls too.

Sackets Harbor, Clayton and Alexandria Bay are beautiful communities nearby with some nice things to do and see, especially in the summer. I think there is a comedy club in Sackets Harbor too. Boldt Castle in the 1000 Islands by Alex Bay and Clayton has things going on and there is the Riveredge Resort in that area too.

Here's some info. that you might want to check out:Official Boldt Castle Web-Site - Home Page

The Riveredge Resort, Alexandria Bay NY, In the Heart of the 1000 Islands

http://www.sacketsharborny.com/

Alexandria Bay Chamber of Commerce

Alexandria Bay, NY

Watertown Fairgrounds Arena Ice Skating Rink - Watertown, NY - Jefferson County

Greater Watertown North Country Chamber of Commerce, Watertown Chamber of Commerce, Watertown New York

Salmon Run Mall

Clinton Square, Armory Square and Downtown Syracuse NY

Clinton Square Ice Skating Rink - Syracuse, NY - Ice Skating Rinks on Waymarking.com

Ice Skating at Clinton Square - The Syracuse Area Outdoor Adventures Club (Camillus, NY) - Meetup.com (there's skating also at Sunnycrest, Burnet and Meacham Parks in the city of Syracuse too)

Crystal Restaurant » TAUNY Register of Very Special Places

Friendly's : Delicious Food, Premium Ice Cream and Magical Moments with Friends and Family

If I can think of anything else, I'll try to get it for you. Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 21,220 times
This is some great information. Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York