Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 PM

686 posts, read 1,699,394 times

Advertisements

Hey every one, I've been reading about past attempts on getting a high speed rail from nyc to albany to buffalo, even though it's probably not going to happen but just saying if it did wouldn't this just create more urban sprawl for new york or any state that made a high speed rail connecting cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,405 times
I'm not sure how this would create more sprawl. Most of the stations are downtown.

Personally I think the train is the most comfortable and easiest way to travel. However, it is also the slowest. To travel to some cities, such as NYC I prefer it above all methods of transport. If they could cut the time down to at least keep up with a car, I could forsee an even bigger bump in ridership. I think now you can go from Rochester to Buffalo for only $10-$15. On a train there is more leg room, it is quiet, you can get up and walk around and there is food & drink.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
The problem with the upstate cities is that you need cars in many situations. You can have the high speed rail drop you off downtown, but the public transportation isn't the greatest in any upstate city so you'd be stuck.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The problem with the upstate cities is that you need cars in many situations. You can have the high speed rail drop you off downtown, but the public transportation isn't the greatest in any upstate city so you'd be stuck.
It depends on the city. I believe Syracuse's CENTRO was recently ranked one of the best mid sized city transit systems in the country.

I think it could be a good thing and I don't think that there would be sprawl due to this, if it even happens. I believe there are three options they are looking at in terms of what type of train they would use:Upstate New York may finally get high-speed rail
So, it will be interesting to see what happens. You might have more people working in NYC, but living in Upstate because of this.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM

19,221 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
This problem is everywhere. It would really be nice if there was a rental car kiosk so you can get a car for the day to attend a meeting in the burbs then get back for the train home..

Old 03-02-2009, 03:36 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
I would like the idea of this high speed rail if they threw in some trolley lines in these cities. I think that would help out a lot.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
high speed works where the streets are safe, like japan. if they are not, they you need high speed sprinters to ride them.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 AM

160 posts, read 564,878 times
Default Quite the opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
... wouldn't this just create more urban sprawl for new york or any state that made a high speed rail connecting cities?
No. High speed rail lines in Germany cut down the need for massive highway use between cities, preserving the countryside for farms and villages. What it does do is increase density in and around stations, usually decent-sized cities that can handle it, creating vibrant, walkable areas in and around the rail hubs. Old abandoned areas of places like Schenectady, Syracuse and Rochester (maybe Utica and Rome, too?) stand to benefit.
Downthread there's a question about the need for cars. Here's one solution: car-share programs. Basically, you sign up for a service, and have the right for short-term, cheap car rentals (say, an hour at a time) at any venue that has them. Locating car-share services near rail hubs makes a lot of sense. Here are links: CarShare Vermont - CarSharing in Burlington Vermont and Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership – Zipcar

Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,770,778 times
How long will this High Speed Rail take to get to upstate or NYC?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:15 AM

326 posts, read 430,043 times
It is so obvious we need massive investments with public transportation both between cities and within cities. It is a shame that lobbies of car manufacturers have taken the country as hostage for so long. Driving became the only way of life in this country for such a long time. I have no hopes of a change in any near future despite the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York