Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM

11 posts, read 28,317 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Washington DC, Pennsylvania and New York next week. We are looking for a possible place to relocate in the next 6 months. We have never been to New York state before. My husband is about to graduate with a B.S. degree in Business Management by distance learning through SUNY. I have a Bachelor's & Master's degree in Teaching ESL.

Please suggest a possible city good for a relocation. It has to be liberal & have lots of racial diversity (I'm from Europe) & great religious diversity. We are very tired of extremely religious and conservative people here (we are currently in a very rural town in Alabama and cannot wait to leave this place).

We're thinking of Rochester, Syracuse & Albany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
You might like Ithaca. It's arguably the most "liberal" city in the state and is a "diverse" city in many ways and has about 32,000 people. Here's some information: Visitor Info - Visit Ithaca

Ithaca

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Cornell University

Ithaca Hours - Local Currency - Ithaca, New York

Town of Ithaca

Denied:1up! Software ()

Central New York Jobs

Housing Solution -- Ithaca New York's #1 source for rental housing, apartments, sublets, and student housing.

Ithaca City School District - Home

Ithaca, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home : TCAT Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit

Ithaca Farmers Market

Welcome to the Ithaca Ballet

The State Theatre of Ithaca, NY

Kitchen Theatre Company, Ithaca, NY

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/gr.../14havens.html

and much more.

If you go to Rochester, check out the Park Ave, East Ave. and neighborhoods east of Culver Road.

In Syracuse the East Side neighborhoods, with Westcott, University, Meadowbrook(includes Scottholm and Bradford Hills) and most of Salt Springs.

In Albany, the Lark Street Area would probably be more to your liking.

In Buffalo, the Elmwood Strip, Allentown and North Buffalo would be what you are probably looking for.

Places like Troy, Oneonta, Schenectady, Binghamton and Saratoga Springs might be smaller cities with things you might like.
City Of Binghamton, New York
Binghamton Convention and Visitors Bureau: The Official Binghamton Tourism Website
Binghamton, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Troy, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
City of Troy, New York
Welcome to TROY.NY

Saratoga County Chamber Of Commerce: The Official Saratoga Springs NY Online Guide!
City of Saratoga Springs
Saratoga Springs, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to the Official Website for Oneonta, New York
Oneonta, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oneontany

Welcome to the Official City of Schenectady, New York Website
Schenectady, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Say Schenectady - Schenectady Events, Schenectady Attractions, Hotels, Reunions, Restaurants, Albany, Saratoga, Cooperstown, Erie Canal,Stockade, historic, proctors

Plattsburgh might be another smaller city to consider(close to Montreal too):
City of Plattsburgh
Welcome to Plattsburgh New York
Plattsburgh (city), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-21-2009, 08:08 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,251 times
Chthankgod............that's the place that came to mind per her request,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
I moved to NY from Texas for some of the same reasons you seem to be looking at moving here. My politics are very liberal, I hate people trying to force feed me their religion & I found that conservative people also tend to be nosy people. I'm all about live & let live .... just stay out of my business unless I invited you in. We first moved to a small town in Northern NY (near Plattsburgh) & while the area tends to vote Democratic the people are far from liberal. Plattsburgh itself isn't too bad but you will find that many of the other towns in the area have the same issues as what you are trying to get away from in Alabama & because Plattsburgh is the major hub of the area a lot of that will show up in the city itself as people from rural areas move, work, shop & play in Plattsburgh.

Any larger metro area in NY is going to be liberal (though in my experience Albany not as much as Syracuse & Rochester). Ithaca is nice but it is also small & mainly a college town. Not a bad place to live if that is what you are looking for but it sounded like you were interested in more of a major metro area. I like Syracuse a lot, they have a vibrant arts/entertainment community & I would have no problem living there if the right opportunity came along. Rochester is one of my favorite places & we seriously were considering moving there when my wife got an offer that was too good to pass up in the Buffalo area. We never really considered Buffalo (until she got the offer which was pretty much out of the blue) because of all the bad publicity the city has gotten in recent years but now that we live here we absolutely love the area (and people).

Old 08-21-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Chthankgod............that's the place that came to mind per her request,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I know. It seemed like a slam dunk to me.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
I moved to NY from Texas for some of the same reasons you seem to be looking at moving here. My politics are very liberal, I hate people trying to force feed me their religion & I found that conservative people also tend to be nosy people. I'm all about live & let live .... just stay out of my business unless I invited you in. We first moved to a small town in Northern NY (near Plattsburgh) & while the area tends to vote Democratic the people are far from liberal. Plattsburgh itself isn't too bad but you will find that many of the other towns in the area have the same issues as what you are trying to get away from in Alabama & because Plattsburgh is the major hub of the area a lot of that will show up in the city itself as people from rural areas move, work, shop & play in Plattsburgh.

Any larger metro area in NY is going to be liberal (though in my experience Albany not as much as Syracuse & Rochester). Ithaca is nice but it is also small & mainly a college town. Not a bad place to live if that is what you are looking for but it sounded like you were interested in more of a major metro area. I like Syracuse a lot, they have a vibrant arts/entertainment community & I would have no problem living there if the right opportunity came along. Rochester is one of my favorite places & we seriously were considering moving there when my wife got an offer that was too good to pass up in the Buffalo area. We never really considered Buffalo (until she got the offer which was pretty much out of the blue) because of all the bad publicity the city has gotten in recent years but now that we live here we absolutely love the area (and people).
I agree that the OP couldn't go wrong in any of the major Upstate metros as well. Some of the smaller cities I mentioned might be fine too. I forgot to mention New Paltz, Poughkeepsie, Kingston, Hudson, many places in Orange County and maybe the Utica-Rome area might be fine as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York