Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 01:35 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering moving to the suburbs from Queens because our child developed asthma. I’d like to get tips on what the good NYC suburban areas are in terms of air quality. I’ve already seen some of the stats in the EPA and state websites but I feel they might not be giving me a complete picture (or are they?). For one, the figures tend to be county-wide and don’t drill down to the specific community. For example, some figures would suggest that Westchester’s and Suffolk’s air quality, though better than NYC’s, are still at unacceptable levels. But how about in specific places like Cold Spring Harbor or Chappaqua? Also, it doesn’t look like Rockland tracks its air quality index. One family we know who moved out of NYC because of their child’s asthma went all the way to Tuxedo Park, but maybe I don’t have to go that far.

To start with, could anyone share their first-hand perspectives – even if anecdotal - on which communities have acceptable air quality, especially for people with asthma? Also, maybe some people could point me to where I can get more information/figures.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 07:55 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,673 times
When dealing with areas North and West of NYC, a general rule of thumb would be to stay out of the areas closest to the Hudson River, as air (of poor quality at that) settles in the valley. You could try Orange County.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:57 AM

/\/\

Thanks.

So I guess neighborhoods that are more inland from the Hudson like Goshen and Florida in OC or Ridgefield in CT would be the good places to live from that perspective.

How about Long Island North Shore communities like Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington? Some of the websites I've visited give them low air quality scores (though scoring seems to apply to the entire Suffolk County), albeit a little better than NYC's. What could be the reason for air pollution in that area if it is the case?

Old 10-10-2010, 08:09 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Forest Hills, I have no 100% factual information but I could give a couple of my thoughts on the subject.

Long Island:
I live on Long Island and I love it but the air quality for a suburban area can be pretty bad. I read somewhere that Suffolk County is among the worst in the state! Nassau County is probably pretty similar. This is probably because Long Island is normally downwind (winds going west to east) of not only New York City but the huge built up areas of New Jersey as well.

The Hudson Valley:
Lower Westchester County might be bad also but I guessing it approves greatly toward Upper Westchester and into Putnam County.

On the other hand, Rockland should be a bit better because it avoids NYC air pollution and even much of New Jersey. The air quality of Orange County should even be better. Orange probably gets alot of good clean air from Upstate New York.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:41 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,673 times
I live in Montgomery NY (10 miles Northeast of Goshen, 15 miles from Florida) and the air quality is excellent. We are in the foothills of the Catskills but can get to the city in 1.5-1.75 hours.

Westchester is bad. Rockland can be bad. Putnam & Dutchess should be fine if you can get inland from the River.

Areas in CT probably wouldn't be bad.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,529 times
We do have air quality alert days here in the Hudson Valley-especially on hot-humid days. Air gets trapped here in the valleys along with all the smog. Interesting growing up here that we never had one of those alerts to about 10 years ago in this area. The NOAA weather system always puts them out for the days they expect it to happen.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Dreamshot, LINative, CampingMom:

Thank you for your helpful inputs. I will definitely consider them as I dig deeper in my search.

Finally, I found a stat about Ridgefield in CT from CNN Money (published 2005). Air pollution index score for Ridgefield was 111 (lower score is better) compared to a national average of 100 and a "best places" average of 90. Looks like areas in CT that would be acceptable would likely be north of Danbury.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,345 times
I am surprised that Ridgefield has poor quality air. That being said, as someone who has allergic asthma, Ridgefield is pretty tough with the plethora of trees and other fauna.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,577 times
Hi. Wondering if you have found any more info or have any updates on this subject? We are also looking to move to a NYC suburb and I struggle with asthma. It was really bad when living in Murray Hill, Manhattan but was fine in Battery Park. I am most interested in Westchester, especially Pelham and Larchmont but recently saw info that Westchester has really poor air quality. I wonder how much it varies by neighborhood. Thanks for any info or insights!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:37 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,224 times
Stay North (away from the Hudson Valley) and west. The further you go the better. And stay away from interstates and major highways. You basically want to be up high and west, like Sullivan or Delaware County for any kind of fresh air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York