Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:02 PM

319 posts, read 497,568 times

Advertisements

Is it the Hooker-Montague area?
I hear that general area gets over 200-250" of snowfall a year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 06:51 PM

3,595 posts, read 9,475,612 times
Yes, that sounds about right.

Northern Oswego County and Southern Lewis County get the most lake effect off Lake Ontario....generally called the "Tug Hill Plateau". There are some towns south of Buffalo (between Buffalo and Erie) that get almost as much snow, but off Lake Erie.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:44 PM

639 posts, read 1,077,335 times
The region southeast of Lake Ontario has the highest lake effect snow totals in the state. Basically, this includes many of the towns between Watertown and Syracuse, but even more than that, the Tug Plateau, which really gets hammered by these storms.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:59 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,296,528 times
We haven't called them 'settlements' since before the War of 1812.

It's mostly the whole of Oswego County and the southern part of Jefferson County (Tug Hill Plateau) that register the most snow in the lower 48. Lake Effect snow, big moisture laden flakes, are dumped at the rate of 1-4 feet avg a night with the worst generally around the end of January. Snow patterns follow the prevailing winds across the lake to the SE portion of Lake Ontario.

'White outs' (this is where you can't see past the windshield) are common and can run in 'bands' as does snow accumulation. That's why you can drive 30 minutes to work and see little snow when you start off with the possibilty that you might not be able to get all the way home due to a Lake Effect band or White Out. (ie, keep a change of clothes in the car, blanket, and food). Accumulation can vary by community in as little as a mile for a variety of reasons, even from season to season, due to weather patterns.

Farther north in NYS the weather is colder and they get less snow.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
We haven't called them 'settlements' since before the War of 1812.

It's mostly the whole of Oswego County and the southern part of Jefferson County (Tug Hill Plateau) that register the most snow in the lower 48. Lake Effect snow, big moisture laden flakes, are dumped at the rate of 1-4 feet avg a night with the worst generally around the end of January. Snow patterns follow the prevailing winds across the lake to the SE portion of Lake Ontario.

'White outs' (this is where you can't see past the windshield) are common and can run in 'bands' as does snow accumulation. That's why you can drive 30 minutes to work and see little snow when you start off with the possibilty that you might not be able to get all the way home due to a Lake Effect band or White Out. (ie, keep a change of clothes in the car, blanket, and food). Accumulation can vary by community in as little as a mile for a variety of reasons, even from season to season, due to weather patterns.

Farther north in NYS the weather is colder and they get less snow.
Well, I really don't know what to call "towns" of 100 people.
There are ~300 people living in my apartment building over here alone.

And actually, this isn't the snowiest part of the lower 48.
Parts of the Wasatch mountains in Utah (like Snowbird ski resort) get 500+" annually.
Towns in the Sierra Nevada also register over 250" a year

Man I love snow! I wish the job market in that part of Upstate was better.. I'd move in a heartbeat.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:17 PM

I should give you a call next winter when the BF wants to go to Fla and needs someone to stay in the house and keep the stoves going.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:17 PM

LOL... I'd be happy to!!

Old 05-12-2007, 07:46 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,672,668 times
Man we'd love to rent a house for a month ( or less ) just in time for one of those giant snowfalls.

After a few weeks just head on back South but it would be great to enjoy a blizzard

Old 05-12-2007, 10:17 PM

Gee! I'll have to post for a house swap. I had no idea that anyone would care to 'vacation' here that time of year.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Gee! I'll have to post for a house swap. I had no idea that anyone would care to 'vacation' here that time of year.
Hah, well, I see you didn't spend your winter here in nyc.

we got around 10 inches this year, total.

5 of which came from accumulating ice pellets from march's ice storm

ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York