Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:03 PM

19 posts, read 14,726 times

Advertisements

I moved to NC with my wife. We did it for the sake of tax's, jobs and nice weather. Well i have only been here for 6 months and i have to say those things are true BUT! my family, friends and the Adirondack mountains are not here. I missed my first hunting season in 16 years. I missed walking through the woods with my pops. I miss knowing everyone! There is so much more to life then money, tax's and jobs. I have lived in every corner of NY State and yes there are some bad towns but there are also some good ones, just like every where else. NY state is by far the best state in the country! Where else do you have the greatest city in the world, the best food, the best people and the best mountains and lakes. I hope my wife gets NC out of her system fast, because I WANNA GO HOME!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 07:02 PM

229 posts, read 232,667 times
I hope you get your wish!!! Best of Luck

Old 01-05-2007, 07:30 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Trust me.... you aren't alone. Moved from Rochester to Raleigh 12 years ago and finally planning on returning. Upstate NY is home, and noplace can replace it for me.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:43 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
Have you told your wife you want to go home?

Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 13,055 times
I was living in Boston when I met my husband (2nd) and told him that when the kids were out of high school I was returning to my hometown of NYC. He didn't want to and I didn't want to stay in Boston. We went to California and then to Texas looking for a place we could both be happy. Now we're back in NY, I work in the city and he's got his fishing at the home we recently purchased in Orange County.

In Texas we had a 4000 square foot house on a lake and every conceivable amenity and it cost 1/3 of what our 2000 square foot house in NY is costing and no winters. And a lot more bang for the buck. But it wasn't home.

Some things money just can't buy.

I feel your pain.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM

I had more going for me back home, she had a harder time. I dont want to be selfish, so I figured I would give it a chance. Dont get me wrong, I think NC is great, especially the Asheville area. I just feel some things are worth sacrificing for others. I know the tax's are crazy in NY, and there are less jobs but there are so many other things that are great, like friends, family and the Adirondacks. The mountains are great in Western NC but there are hardly any natural lakes and there is to much traffic. Before I left I went hiking back to one of my favorite places and ran into a moose. Now how can i leave that. I would rather be poor and happy then rich and unhappy. Thats the problem today, everything is about money! Family's are spreading all over the place and getting smaller. O well I just feel like letting off some steam. I dont have anyone to talk to so I figured i would tell a bunch of strangers.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjm View Post
I had more going for me back home, she had a harder time. I dont want to be selfish, so I figured I would give it a chance. Dont get me wrong, I think NC is great, especially the Asheville area. I just feel some things are worth sacrificing for others. I know the tax's are crazy in NY, and there are less jobs but there are so many other things that are great, like friends, family and the Adirondacks. The mountains are great in Western NC but there are hardly any natural lakes and there is to much traffic. Before I left I went hiking back to one of my favorite places and ran into a moose. Now how can i leave that. I would rather be poor and happy then rich and unhappy. Thats the problem today, everything is about money! Family's are spreading all over the place and getting smaller. O well I just feel like letting off some steam. I dont have anyone to talk to so I figured i would tell a bunch of strangers.
Have you told your wife how you feel? I know that I have had a harder time adjusting to NC than my husband has. Sometimes ya just need to get it all out and really explain how you feel. Maybe she feels the same way but does not want to admit it. Talk to her.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:47 PM

We have talked about it so much that we end up arguing. My wife loves it here. She doesnt like the cold and the snow. She also likes the fact that there is more work here and its cheaper to live. I dont blame her, its just that I feel different. I grew up in the Adirondacks, hunting, fishing, icefishing and snowmobiling. Its hard for me to leave all that plus my family and friends. I dont want to be selfish, I want her to be happy to. I am going to give it a shot for a few years and if it dont work out maybe we will move back. I will just have to make the best of it. Thanks for your advice. I went to go fishing the other day in Lake Julian and someone told me not to eat the fish because they glow in the dark. Thats great! Instead of using my pole, maybe i will just shoot them through the water.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:26 AM

Sorry Rockjm - But I think you have a good attitude! I was like that about 6 months ago. I left three grown children in Michigan and everything is just so different here. Anyway long story short, I changed my mind somewhere between then and now. Sure I still miss Michigan, and someday I would like to get a small place and go back in the summers, but for now I kinda like the laid back feel of here. I have been out exploring more, looking for unique areas and just meeting people. I actually have found that I am happier here than I was the last few years in Michigan. But......the grass is not always greener. About the pollution, I hear you we went fishing last summer and I can't believe how dirty some of the bodies of water are here. And some of the living things you can bring out of the water! Yuck - but again just something to get used to. Try fishing at the ocean, we are going to this spring! Best of luck.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:27 PM

Hello!! Everyone that has been of support to by husband- I thank You !! He has just shared what he has been writting and I feel horrible that he feels he has to "talk to stangers" as he stated, instead of me. Sometimes you just need to get it out & hear from other people. Thank You again.
Anywho - Thought I'd share what happened to me today. NY is sounding pretty good right about now. Since I have been here - I have heard nothing but stories of women being murdered, crime, violence and cops not doing anything about it. Today I lived it! Today I got assaulted by a women with a tazer gun at a convenient store in the boonies! I work out there for a family care home providing community support for individuals with mental health isues. I called 911 and reported the incident. The cop informed me that nothing could be done. Well - He said I could go to the majastries office and file a complaint, but the people at the store probably wouldn't show up. He said the judge would look at it as a "he said, she said" incident and I would be wasting my time. It would be considered a misdomeanor and they do not investigate them. So - I was shot with a tazer gun (luckily I still have good reflexes and jumped back), called 911 and nothing was done. How cool is that? Never thought I would be assaulted by a cashier at a convenient store. Looks to me like everything I have been hearing about is true. Don't feel safe here anymore - Home is safe - Would rather be alive paying higher taxes with no job in NY. Thank You God for your protection today! My husbands coworkers told him to tell me I'm lucky to be alive. He said they could have shot me and got away with it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York