Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,892,563 times

Advertisements

go with the 4. Its a win /win for the 4 over the 6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,243,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
go with the 4. Its a win /win for the 4 over the 6
Why?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,243,637 times
Do the V6 models offer features that the I4 does not? Will you be towing anything, or loading the car with people and stuff for trips? Does the I4 model make more noise in the cabin at highway speed? Do you often need to merge at highway speed, where the V6 may be the better option?

All reasons to consider the V6.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
"4 cylinder" does not mean V4. I don't even think a V4 engine exists?
There are a handful of motorcycles with V4's.

It's too bad there aren't more V4's out there. I-4's suck.

And now back to your regularly-scheduled thread: Unless you absolutely need to feel that big rush of power when you mash on the gas (and some drivers do), then go for the 4-cylinder.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,892,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Why?
cheaper by thousands to buy and cheaper to run on a day to day basis. Saving thousands over the life of the car just to not be able to merge at the speed of the v6? Are you kidding me?

BTW we load our 4wd Rav4 four cylinder with 5 people and it easily cruises at any speed we want effortlessly while giving up to 30 mpg on the highway. its a no brainer

Old 11-12-2012, 12:23 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,877,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
"4 cylinder" does not mean V4. I don't even think a V4 engine exists? When people say "V6" or "V8" it means the cylinders are aligned in a V shape. The cylinders in a 4 cynlider car are usually aligned in a straight line, hence "Inline-4" or I-4.
No offense intended to the OP, but saying "V4" is a dead giveaway the person talking about it does not know much about cars. If it is a salesman, he's an idiot because he should know his products. And if it is a buyer, it just lets the salesman know you are not as well versed on cars, and consequently he might give you more BS about them to try and make a sale. As the customer, you should know a lot about a particular car when you go to buy it so you don't belive something that isn't true. I've respectfully disagreed/argued with a few before, and now a smart phone is great to pull up a company website or auto review to educate them about what they are trying to sell me!

Oh and I would get a 4 cyl unless you just need the extra power of the V6 or you just want the higher performace model that only came with a V6. In the past I've always said I would only drive a V8, but I can say now that getting almost twice the MPG is much smarter with today's gas prices.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:43 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,181,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There are a handful of motorcycles with V4's.

It's too bad there aren't more V4's out there. I-4's suck.

And now back to your regularly-scheduled thread: Unless you absolutely need to feel that big rush of power when you mash on the gas (and some drivers do), then go for the 4-cylinder.
This. I love LOVE LOVE the sound of a V4 bike, most of 'em anyway.

If not having the extra pick-up doesn't bother you, go with the I4. Generally speaking, and these are very broad statements, an inline 4 will be cheaper to run (better mileage), cheaper to own (less/easier maintenance), cheaper to insure (less power = less risk), and last longer (inherent to the nature of an inline engine).

Mike

Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,536,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
No offense intended to the OP, but saying "V4" is a dead giveaway the person talking about it does not know much about cars. If it is a salesman, he's an idiot because he should know his products. And if it is a buyer, it just lets the salesman know you are not as well versed on cars, and consequently he might give you more BS about them to try and make a sale. As the customer, you should know a lot about a particular car when you go to buy it so you don't belive something that isn't true. I've respectfully disagreed/argued with a few before, and now a smart phone is great to pull up a company website or auto review to educate them about what they are trying to sell me!

Oh and I would get a 4 cyl unless you just need the extra power of the V6 or you just want the higher performace model that only came with a V6. In the past I've always said I would only drive a V8, but I can say now that getting almost twice the MPG is much smarter with today's gas prices.

As the OP, Ohhhh believe me, I am prepared when I by my cars. My wife crawls under the table when i speak to these salemen. Hate to be that way, but I seen too many people get ripped off by THOUSANDS!!! When it comes to financing, price, negotiations, that no problem at all.

I just needed a simple opinion on the V4 or V6 (NO TO ALL: Do the V6 models offer features that the I4 does not? Will you be towing anything, or loading the car with people and stuff for trips? Does the I4 model make more noise in the cabin at highway speed? Do you often need to merge at highway speed, where the V6 may be the better option?)

My reason for the V4

BTW, I used the Penfed buying program. Saved over $3k From MSRP & .99% financing for 60 months.
I saved almost 2k just in financing. Dealer wanted 2.49%

Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,181,820 times
OK, but stop saying 'V4'. It's not correct.

Mike

Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 PM

802 posts, read 1,368,937 times
V4?
u mean I4 right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Nissan and Infiniti