Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:47 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,058 times

Advertisements

Our extended family celebrated Easter early this year and met at the Uncles house for a big dinner and conversation. The lack of true curiosity and interesting conversation was shocking. Here is an example:

One of my sons had gone on a semester abroad in Europe last term and this was the first time many of the relatives had seen him since he returned. He had quite a few observations, experiences and adventures. He saw 9 different Countries in Europe during breaks and after he finished his studies. Here was a typical conversation with the relatives about his semester abroad and travels through Europe:

RELATIVE: "So Andy I heard you spent the Fall Abroad, good for you!"

ANDY: Yes, it was great, I went to College in Ireland and saw..........

RELATIVE: After listening for about 30 seconds. "Yah Yah Yah. Good. How about those Redskins?"

ANDY: "Do you want to hear about my semester abroad?"

RELATIVE: "Your mother told me about it already" (She didn't!)
=======

A similar conversation happened with many other relatives. They really did not want to hear about the young man's adventure of a life time, they just asked to be polite but then would cut him off and change the subject after a thirty second reply."

Is this typical?

Old 04-15-2014, 05:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

Is this typical?
For you, yes. It's almost identical to an earlier thread you started about a nephew whose college experiences were likewise ignored at one of these holiday family gatherings you love to write about so disparagingly. When you start recycling old material it's time to get out more so you have better fodder for your creative writing endeavors. But I like the thread title which appears to fit you like an old shoe.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:05 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
For you, yes. It's almost identical to an earlier thread you started about a nephew whose college experiences were likewise ignored at one of these holiday family gatherings you love to write about so disparagingly. When you start recycling old material it's time to get out more so you have better fodder for your creative writing endeavors. But I like the thread title which appears to fit you like an old shoe.
Yes, the situation is similar but these are two different people who have two different stories and we have new posters with new perspectives!

Old 04-15-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, the situation is similar but these are two different people who have two different stories and we have new posters with new perspectives!
Exactly. The audience who you first attracted with your many and varied tales is hard to hold onto when the basic material stagnates. Different venues on different days with fresh audiences is the only way to maintain the momentum.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,993,691 times
I don't like to have conversation while eating.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Quote:
Our extended family celebrated Easter early this year and met at the Uncles house for a big dinner and conversation. The lack of true curiosity and interesting conversation was shocking. Here is an example:

One of my sons had gone on a semester abroad in Europe last term and this was the first time many of the relatives had seen him since he returned. He had quite a few observations, experiences and adventures. He saw 9 different Countries in Europe during breaks and after he finished his studies. Here was a typical conversation with the relatives about his semester abroad and travels through Europe:

RELATIVE: "So Andy I heard you spent the Fall Abroad, good for you!"

ANDY: Yes, it was great, I went to College in Ireland and saw..........

RELATIVE: After listening for about 30 seconds. "Yah Yah Yah. Good. How about those Redskins?"

ANDY: "Do you want to hear about my semester abroad?"

RELATIVE: "Your mother told me about it already" (She didn't!)
=======

A similar conversation happened with many other relatives. They really did not want to hear about the young man's adventure of a life time, they just asked to be polite but then would cut him off and change the subject after a thirty second reply."

Is this typical?
I don't think it's typical.

Why not host your own gathering, invite the young people who have something to say, and show them how well you can listen to them?

Maybe some of your family members are jealous of those with opportunities for adventures, and therefore don't want to listen to them.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,818,906 times
Quote:

Could you PLEASE go back and update your thread about your nephew. We are still trying to determine if the nephew is a guy or girl, because you stated both, please clear up this before posting other fiction for us to read.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Could you PLEASE go back and update your thread about your nephew. We are still trying to determine if the nephew is a guy or girl, because you stated both, please clear up this before posting other fiction for us to read.
The ratio of his threads to posts and allowing for a few posts he contributes to others, shows that he only contributes approximately 3 posts (including the first) to each of his threads. Going back and updating would clarify a few threads and would also probably reduce the sheer repetitiveness - but would probably stunt the flow of "creativity" (a word I use loosely).

Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
What's typical? Personally, I avoid people who place expectations on me regarding what they think I should want to talk about. Sometimes I'm up for a deep-dive to learn everything I can about a person and what's going on in their lives, sometimes I just want to share a polite comment to let them know I care enough to know what's going on in their lives but not much else.

And all because someone thinks a topic or experience is interesting doesn't mean it's necessarily so, it just may be interesting to that person.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:37 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The ratio of his threads to posts and allowing for a few posts he contributes to others, shows that he only contributes approximately 3 posts (including the first) to each of his threads. Going back and updating would clarify a few threads and would also probably reduce the sheer repetitiveness - but would probably stunt the flow of "creativity" (a word I use loosely).
Which is the equivalent of him saying to us "yeah yeah, how about those Redskins"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships