Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 PM

45 posts, read 107,558 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who acts hot and cold whenever we hang out. One day she's super excited, happy and fun to be around. But sometimes I don't know which personality I'm going to get. Because there are other times where she'll have an attitude and give me one word answers. Its like pulling teeth and I absolutely hate it. She even rolled her eyes when I introduced her to a guy that I was dating.

After this happened, I became fed up and decided not to invite her out anymore. Then several weeks later, I get a text from her saying "OMG long time! Lets hang soon! Spring is finally here... I'm ready for day drinking and boys!!"

I have yet to respond to her.

Here is some background history... We were once roommates for 2 years. We also fell out in 2011 because of some drama that she started about me. But once I cut her off, she came running back to me begging to be friends again... so I gave her another shot.

So my question is...what is this about? How do you deal with hot and cold people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
I don't know. I will be anxious to see if someone has an answer to this
behavior...bec turns out these people are also very charismatic.

My way so far on how to deal?
1. Stay detached at all times.
2. Never believe a word they say.
3. If I can't just have fun in the immature moment with them...then give an
excuse and bow out.
4. Don't judge 'em...God loves their being in the moment...even if I don't.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:48 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
People I know that are like this, I keep it very simple...

You can try to be friends with them, but never trust them, and never let them get too close. Keep your friendship with her on the surface if you must hang out with her...

Ive been friends with people that were toxic. They were toxic to some other friends but never to me. You know why? Because I kept my distance and realized all I could do with them is go out and have drinks and party, NOTHING more.

Let her make the effort to hangout with you.

Bottom line, dont tell them your secrets, dont ask them about dating/sex advice, dont talk about your dating/sex life. Talk about non personal things, like shopping or something.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
We call people like that sometimey around here. You can either stay away from them, ignore them when they act unsociable, or bring it to their attention and ask them why they act like this.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:19 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLili84 View Post
I have a friend who acts hot and cold whenever we hang out. One day she's super excited, happy and fun to be around. But sometimes I don't know which personality I'm going to get. Because there are other times where she'll have an attitude and give me one word answers. Its like pulling teeth and I absolutely hate it. She even rolled her eyes when I introduced her to a guy that I was dating.

After this happened, I became fed up and decided not to invite her out anymore. Then several weeks later, I get a text from her saying "OMG long time! Lets hang soon! Spring is finally here... I'm ready for day drinking and boys!!"

I have yet to respond to her.

Here is some background history... We were once roommates for 2 years. We also fell out in 2011 because of some drama that she started about me. But once I cut her off, she came running back to me begging to be friends again... so I gave her another shot.

So my question is...what is this about? How do you deal with hot and cold people?
Drop them. They're selfish and they're not really interested in making the friendship good for YOU. They only care about themselves, and they want to stay miserable so the attention remains on them.

Say buh-bye!

Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 PM

367 posts, read 696,759 times
You can call them out on their behavior or cut the cord. I'm tired of self centered people and I have recently learned to say good bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships