Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
If she has a will, she may get the last laugh on you by leaving you $1.00.
My own will, will shock the hell out of people. The one who thinks he will benefit the most from it will be graced with the last laugh. It specifically states that to him I leave all my unpaid debt and bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
If you look at my other posts you can see my situation is desperate. Broke, unemployed, depressed, etc.

The only saving grace is a relative who is near deaths door at age 95 who has lots of money and property. She has few living relatives and most of them are not in contact with her. She is unmarried, has no children or living brothers and sisters. My brother and I are about the closest relatives she has. Except for two nephews, who also are very nice to her because she is rich!

I would like to tell you we go over to her house and visit with her because she is such a wonderful person and we love her so much. But I can't. In all honesty the old gal is kind of hard to deal with but we keep trying. One, she is one of our only relatives living from my parents generation, and two she will more likely leave us lots of money if we stay close to her.

Am I terrible, or just practical?

(How many of you have kissed the XXX of bosses or other powerful people because doing so helped your career and pocketbook?)
Terrible. For one she may sense that you're only showing up for the money, and she may have a more worth cause, some charity for example to leave her money. So then all your efforts to get her money would be in vain.

And why not just work and get your own money? Why just go after someone else's? If she has has her wits about her, do you think she's going to see you as someone without a job as a worthy heir?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
My own will, will shock the hell out of people. The one who thinks he will benefit the most from it will be graced with the last laugh. It specifically states that to him I leave all my unpaid debt and bills.
Debt and bills can't be passed down. They can go to the estate and have to be paid off before assets can be passed to heirs, but you can't "will" debt to someone specifically.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:42 AM

442 posts, read 615,437 times
OP, if you are looking to this situation to be some sort of quick fix, which is what I'm gathering from your OP, it may not be.

If she has property, it may take months or even years to sell before you see the proceeds.

Do you know who the executor of the will is? An executor can be very slow about making things happen. This happened to me once, it was very bizarre, but it didn't seem there was much I could do about it.

I wouldn't count on money that you might inherit in the future to help you deal with your present situations...I'd be looking for other solutions.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post

The only saving grace is a relative who is near deaths door at age 95 ... One, she is one of our only relatives living from my parents generation, and two she will more likely leave us lots of money if we stay close to her.
Morally and ethically I think you stink. But that's just my opinion. However, let me relate to you a little story.

My mother despised HER mother. I never met the old lady so whether or not my mother was justified or not I've not a clue but my mother did go on to totally alienate her own children and the few friends she ever had so maybe she got that from her mother. Anyway, my grandmother lived to be 101 years old and in the last couple of years of her life my mother started going to see her after many decades of staying away from her. It wasn't out of any sort of love or affection that she went to visit her but because she was well aware that the old lady was quite wealthy, courtesy of the demise of two out of three wealthy husbands. There was a sister who'd been out of the picture for years but it was clear that my mother was after the money and assumed she'd be left the dough.

When the old lady died she left my mother a very small house, its furnishings and some jewelry which I would guess in today's economy would amount to about $75K. The icing on the cake, though, was that the old lady bequeathed the bulk of her estate (close to $1M today) to the local cat shelter. Don't be counting that money, honey. Karma is something else ...

Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
IMO, what you are doing is wrong.

I have a relative, as we speak, dying from terminal cancer and she has requested the I give her a list of the things I would like from her estate. I can not fathom doing that, I find it very creepy. I told her that I would be happy with whatever she chose to leave to me and my family.

I do hope that this lady knows your motives and leaves you nothing. Kissing up to a boss is much different that kissing up to a relative just so you can get your grubby hands on their money.

Why don't you go out and either a) get a job or b) get another job and make your own way rather than relying on someone else to dig you out of your hole?

Old 09-17-2012, 12:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Definitely be nice to her -- but only b/c that is what we are supposed to do as human beings - be kind to others.

In the end, I can guarantee you, it won't matter, b/c you won't be in the will, lol.

I have known so so many people who kissed butt of relatives or folks in the community, thinking they would be rewarded financially and not once have I seen it work out. NOT ONCE.

But I loved watching it b/c I knew the elderly person was enjoying all the attention whereas otherwise, he/she would have gotten none. So that was a good thing.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:38 PM

75 posts, read 107,434 times
I want to defend the orginal poster because I know that most people are only nice to people because they will do something for them. The OP is just being like everyone else is, just more honest than all of you.

The OP can't for sure determine if his or her friendship will make any difference but it is like an investment in a business. You play nice with coworkers, clients, customers, bankers, consultants, and anyone else who will help you because it may make you money in the end.

Last edited by regular folk; 09-17-2012 at 12:50 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I want to defend the orginal poster because I know that most people are only nice to people because they will do somethign for them. The OP is just being like everyone else is, just more honest than all of you.
Actually, since I was a child, I have known many - literally dozens - of folks who were quite open with friends that they were "courting" old Aunt so and so b/c they figured it would lead to an inheritance.

My own husband's family has someone in it who openly courted a couple for 10 years, including them on family vacations, holidays, etc even when they were horrid to be around . . . and when they died, the millions went to charities. THe woman who was so certain she would inherit a bunch of money got 6 plates, worth about $100 a piece. And that was it. LOL

Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular folk View Post
I want to defend the orginal poster because I know that most people are only nice to people because they will do something for them. The OP is just being like everyone else is, just more honest than all of you.

The OP can't for sure determine if his or her friendship will make any difference but it is like an investment in a business. You play nice with coworkers, clients, customers, bankers, consultants, and anyone else who will help you because it may make you money in the end.
I am sorry, but I would never sit around pretending that I care for someone in the hopes that when this person died I'd get something from them.

I'm certainly glad you said "most", because I for one am not like that, although I do know a few with this kind of attitude and they are horrid people. Not everyone does nice things expecting something in return.

Maybe the poster should put his/herself in the relatives position. How would they feel if someone just pretended to care about them, all the while counting the days until their death so they could collect their money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships