Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 08:17 PM

1,058 posts, read 676,980 times

Advertisements

Update on Elderly neighbor that kept taking my parking spot-

He did stop taking my parking spot, hallelujah! BUT... since we just moved into a retirement community with people that have nothing but time on their hands, he decided to tell everyone in the community about how we wouldn't let him park in the spot that he had been parking in for 10 yrs. And now, half the neighborhood has been giving us dirty looks and barely speaking. And when they do speak, they ask about the parking situation.

I tried to say hello to him and he won't speak to me.

I stand by my choice about the parking spot, but how do I be diplomatic to my fellow neighbors. We have a community 4th of July shin-dig, possibly we can win some of the neighbors over.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Wow, I am sorry. That’s crazy he is so awful!

Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I stand by my choice about the parking spot, but how do I be diplomatic to my fellow neighbors. We have a community 4th of July shin-dig, possibly we can win some of the neighbors over.
You were within your rights to insist about the parking spot. He was wrong. He is embarrassed and angry that you called him on the carpet for it and now he can't intimidate you because of it.

With your neighbors, attend the shin-dig, cheerfully offer to help with the preparations, contribute to food, fireworks or whatever. Don't mention the spat at all. Ignore him but don't be blatant about it. He's been relegated to the level of a backyard weed. Behave as if it has rolled off like water off a duck's back and you won't spend a moment more on such petty stuff. Be as friendly and pleasant as you can with everyone. Some of them might secretly envy you for being the one to stop the nonsense and you might just hear that. Prove your sour puss parker wrong. His blood might just boil, but no one can fault you for being a friendly engaged neighbor. He may retain a few loyally indignant supporters but frankly, would you really miss those people?

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-28-2018 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You were within your rights to insist about the parking spot. He was wrong. He is embarrassed and angry that you called him on the carpet for it and now he can't intimidate you because of it.

With your neighbors, attend the shin-dig, cheerfully offer to help with the preparations, contribute to food, fireworks or whatever. Don't mention the spat at all. Ignore him but don't be blatant about it. Behave as if it has rolled off like water off a duck's back and you won't spend a moment more on such petty stuff. Be as friendly and pleasant as you can with everyone. Prove your sour puss parker wrong.

Good advice.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:10 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
I agree with Parnassia

Old 06-28-2018, 09:10 PM

32,660 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Apologies, OP, but I find this rather funny. What a nasty old coot he is.

Me, I would have made some sympathy noises and asked if I should tell the old man that they offered to let him take their parking spots.

It will blow over. I suspect it will blow over rather quickly.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:17 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Bring a beef tenderloin to the party.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 PM

17,760 posts, read 9,215,344 times
Is it really surprising that the community is giving you the cold shoulder?

I understand that it's your parking space, but you moved into an established community and started making demands of a long time resident. That's never a good idea. And it's an 80 year old man that you are inconveniencing.

Again, I do understand it's your parking space. I just think that some battles shouldn't be fought.

Last edited by redplum33; 06-28-2018 at 09:39 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 09:43 PM

741 posts, read 590,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

I understand that it's your parking space, but you moved into an established community and started making demands of a long time resident. That's never a good idea. And it's an 80 year old man that you are inconveniencing.

Again, I do understand it's your parking space. I just think that some battles shouldn't be fought.
Seriously? He had no right to that space. Any reasonable adult understands that the previous arrangement ended once the unit was sold. Parnassia has the best advice for how to handle the rest of the neighbors going forward.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:51 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Completely disagree. The OP shouldn’t be miserable because someone wants what they want. That’s ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships