Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,567 times

Advertisements

It happened to me twice in two days. I'm not overly concerned but this is just getting a little weird. Of course I assume most of us have occasionally been mistaken for someone else but it seems to be happening to me more and more. I'd say for the last 3 or 4 years it's been happening maybe a few times a year. I don't go out a lot, just usually when I have to, work, shopping, the occasional movie. I've had people I don't know come up to me, look at me really closely and say hi. I'm sure I don't know these people and after I say "I think you have me mistaken for someone else", they just say "you really look like someone I know" or something like that. I've also had people wave at me, say hi passing by me. Yesterday while waiting for my car to be fixed, I had someone come up to me and say that I looked exactly like someone else (he mentioned his name and occupation). Today at the store the cashier asked me where my family was. I almost always go to that store alone. Maybe once in a great while with my wife but I have no kids. A couple months ago I had a conversation with someone who stopped me because she though I looked like someone who worked at a credit union (IIRC). Also these are all kinds of people that think I'm someone they recognize: old, young, men, women, various races, occupations.

Hmmm, it's kind of funny sometimes and I'm just wondering if anyone has similar experiences. Maybe I have a face that's common but I've never really seen anyone else that looks like me, at least not enough to confuse most people. I have a unsettling feeling one day I'll run into my mirror image and it will be kind of creepy. If others have similar experiences, at least I know I'm not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 11:25 PM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
When people mistake you for someone else, is it the same person? For example, do they think you look like John Doe who works at X company? Or do they mention more than one person? If it's one particular person, aren't you at all curious to see this person? I know that I would be. For example, I remember there used to be a cashier at a supermarket I regularly go to. The first time I was in her line, she kept staring at me. Finally, she said that I looked just like her sister. I even asked her if she had a photo of her sister. She didn't have one but I would have liked to have seen it.

Some people just have faces that are common, I guess. One day, I was on the subway and right across me sat a man who looked exactly like my husband. He was even wearing glasses that looked like a pair my husband once had. While living in that city, people we knew would often come up to my husband and say, for example, "I saw you yesterday on Main Street" when my husband was nowhere near there.

Where we currently live, many people told my husband that he looked like a priest at the local Catholic Church. I kept telling him that he should go to a mass to see for himself---but he didn't want to do that.

If you keep getting the same "You look like John Doe", try googling him to see if there is a photo of him. Nothing wrong with doing that to satisfy your curiosity, as long as you don't try to contact him.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:43 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
It happened to me twice in two days. I'm not overly concerned but this is just getting a little weird. Of course I assume most of us have occasionally been mistaken for someone else but it seems to be happening to me more and more. I'd say for the last 3 or 4 years it's been happening maybe a few times a year. I don't go out a lot, just usually when I have to, work, shopping, the occasional movie. I've had people I don't know come up to me, look at me really closely and say hi. I'm sure I don't know these people and after I say "I think you have me mistaken for someone else", they just say "you really look like someone I know" or something like that. I've also had people wave at me, say hi passing by me. Yesterday while waiting for my car to be fixed, I had someone come up to me and say that I looked exactly like someone else (he mentioned his name and occupation). Today at the store the cashier asked me where my family was. I almost always go to that store alone. Maybe once in a great while with my wife but I have no kids. A couple months ago I had a conversation with someone who stopped me because she though I looked like someone who worked at a credit union (IIRC). Also these are all kinds of people that think I'm someone they recognize: old, young, men, women, various races, occupations.

Hmmm, it's kind of funny sometimes and I'm just wondering if anyone has similar experiences. Maybe I have a face that's common but I've never really seen anyone else that looks like me, at least not enough to confuse most people. I have a unsettling feeling one day I'll run into my mirror image and it will be kind of creepy. If others have similar experiences, at least I know I'm not alone.
You probably have a common face.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When people mistake you for someone else, is it the same person? For example, do they think you look like John Doe who works at X company? Or do they mention more than one person? If it's one particular person, aren't you at all curious to see this person? I know that I would be. For example, I remember there used to be a cashier at a supermarket I regularly go to. The first time I was in her line, she kept staring at me. Finally, she said that I looked just like her sister. I even asked her if she had a photo of her sister. She didn't have one but I would have liked to have seen it.

Some people just have faces that are common, I guess. One day, I was on the subway and right across me sat a man who looked exactly like my husband. He was even wearing glasses that looked like a pair my husband once had. While living in that city, people we knew would often come up to my husband and say, for example, "I saw you yesterday on Main Street" when my husband was nowhere near there.

Where we currently live, many people told my husband that he looked like a priest at the local Catholic Church. I kept telling him that he should go to a mass to see for himself---but he didn't want to do that.

If you keep getting the same "You look like John Doe", try googling him to see if there is a photo of him. Nothing wrong with doing that to satisfy your curiosity, as long as you don't try to contact him.
Usually when they say hello in passing or just wave to me I just give a "huh?" and act a little surprised. I think most of the time they realize I'm not who they think they are and move on. There are several times when I've actually had a conversation with someone who mistook me for someone else. Based on my conversations I've had an old lady mistake me for one of her in-laws, yesterday a random guy mistook me for someone who worked at a fish distributor (he's the only one who gave me a name of the person), another lady mistake me for someone who works at a credit union (I asked, she didn't know his name), so I don't think it's the same person I'm being mistaken for. Before I used to just shrug it off but now I'm becoming more and more curious and try to ask questions rather than just shake me head and say "wrong person". In the future I'll just try to ask for a name and other information to see if there's one person people keep mistaking me as. I'm not even sure I'd want to meet someone who looks very similar to me, that would be kind of creepy. But it's good to know I'm not the only one who is often mistaken for someone else, I guess I just have a common face, like some people say.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:05 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,872 times
That happened to me once. A friend of mine and I were at a bar to see a local band play and this girl I've never seen before came running up to me. She goes, OMG Rachel!?! I can't believe it, where have you been?

My name isn't Rachel, so I told her that, and she didn't believe me! In fact she argued with me about it! Before you ask, no she wasn't drunk. So my friend who I was with confirmed that I wasn't this Rachel person and the girl left.

A little while later my friend when into the bathroom and that girl was there talking to someone else saying, I know that's Rachel and I can't believe she is pretending not to be! I'm going to kick her ass!

She didn't thankfully but my friend ran out of the bathroom and told me about what the girl said so we decided to leave. It ruined my night cause I really wanted to see this local band.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,681 times
This used to happen to me a few years ago. The chick even drove the same car as me. We look so much alike that family members saw her and thought she was me. Creepy!!

Old 02-23-2015, 04:36 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
It happened to me twice in two days. I'm not overly concerned but this is just getting a little weird. Of course I assume most of us have occasionally been mistaken for someone else but it seems to be happening to me more and if anyone has similar experiences..
Oh don't I know it...I've been mistaken for Antonio Banderas and that guy from Entourage. It's annoying but you get used to it.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:08 PM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Oh don't I know it...I've been mistaken for Antonio Banderas and that guy from Entourage. It's annoying but you get used to it.
If you really do get mistaken for a famous person, then you should sign up with one of those agencies that hires celeb look-alikes

I once read that the actor, George Siegel was shopping in Macy's in NYC when he was approached by someone who worked for such an agency. The agent told him that he could make money because he looked so much like George Siegel. I can only imagine his reaction when George let him know that he was, indeed, the real thing!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
A little while later my friend when into the bathroom and that girl was there talking to someone else saying, I know that's Rachel and I can't believe she is pretending not to be! I'm going to kick her ass!
Haha, that's pretty funny but a little disturbing someone would want to kick your ass just because of a case of mistaken identity. This "Rachel" person must be your long lost twin or something. The strange thing with me is that though I'm often mistaken for someone else, I've never seen anyone in my life who could possibly be mistaken for me. Once in high school someone mistook me for one of my coworkers, who looks nothing like me. He was about 3 inches taller, had facial hair (I didn't), wasn't even the same race as me. He stopped me in the back room of a supermarket and was angry as apparently my coworker was messing with something of his. I was caught by complete surprise as I just started my job a few days ago and eventually convinced him it wasn't me and he let me go. I mentioned it to my boss and that's how I found out it was my coworker who was messing with the other guy.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Apparently I look like some guy named Erik. A few random people have called me Erik.

I feel like I must hunt down and kill Erik, as one should not let a doppelganger live. But when the moment comes, could I look such a handsome man in the face and kill him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships