Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 04:37 PM

17 posts, read 72,212 times

Advertisements

Not common, superficial friends you hang out and chat with, (though I don't have even that kind of friend), but someone who really, really cherishes you. Someone who understands you better than you can understand yourself. Someone who may well give his/her life to save yours. Novels, movies, anime series abound of such friends but I've never had nor seen a real-world example. I have had ppl in the past used and to pretend to be my friend to get
benefits off from me. Everytime i tried to make a friend, they really don't take the friendship serious enough. They are not interested being friends with me. I don't know what to do about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,607 times
It's very rare to find a true friend. I've had maybe, 3 in my lifetime. My best friend of 32 years, died not too long ago. I have no one now to chat with and no one who totally understands me. Sometimes when she would call me, she would burst out laughing as I answered the phone. OMG
I would have to put the phone down because we would both be laughing hysterically. I know I will never have that again.

Any friends made in the last 15 years have been users and takers.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflamesx View Post
Not common, superficial friends you hang out and chat with, (though I don't have even that kind of friend), but someone who really, really cherishes you. Someone who understands you better than you can understand yourself. Someone who may well give his/her life to save yours. Novels, movies, anime series abound of such friends but I've never had nor seen a real-world example. I have had ppl in the past used and to pretend to be my friend to get
benefits off from me. Everytime i tried to make a friend, they really don't take the friendship serious enough. They are not interested being friends with me. I don't know what to do about this.
Do you find it hard to connect to people deeply?

I have several friends who I love like family, and have told them so (and vice versa). These friendships came about by establishing a level of honesty and intimacy, and that comes through meaningful conversation and sharing the real person inside of you.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
oh my yes, they do exist. I have several friends who have been friends for years; some since childhood.
Too bad you haven't experienced such but it can still happen.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Having been a military brat I was always reluctant to enter into close friendships because in my experience most were here today, gone tomorrow as people were transferred elsewhere. Those whose paths crossed ours periodically often didn't seem to remember our past times together which I found hurtful. I always remembered them. In all fairness I do have to point out, as I discovered years later, I have encyclopedic recall. But as a child I felt that if I remembered, they should too.

Interestingly enough, it was only in 2008 and in my last year of work that I finally gained a true friend. She's 20 years my junior, never worked directly for me but really wanted to and after I retired we began communicating with one another and met for coffee once a week before I moved 2,000 miles away. We ask nothing of one another and have become each other's true fans. We still email regularly, talk occasionally and cherish and value one another. My wife is delighted that I finally have a real friend (she has two of long standing) and she and my friend have also talked and get along great. I truly enjoy it and now I know what I missed all those years.

In answer to the OP, "Yes!" Real friends do really exist.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Yes real friends exist, but not in abundance like Facebook friends. Friendships take time to cultivate. All of those attributes that you listed you want in a friend...are you willing to be all of those things too? If you want a real friend, you have to be a real friend. You need to be more selective in who you trust if all of your friends are taking advantage of you.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
They do exist. Fall down in life at some point, like many of us do at some point and see who is standing over you reaching to help you. Those are real friends. Always do the same for them. Facebook people you don't see, and drinking buddies are not real friends. You will also miss your real friends when life gets busy and you see them less for a period of time. Its that connection at work. Hold on to it.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
In the Bay Area, there are many who won't even talk to you if you don't have money in your hand. I really treasure the friends I do have but time goes by, and one by one, they are no longer with us. Time to reshuffle and make new friends but the old will not be forgotten. My best friend is my husband who is always there for me.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:07 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflamesx View Post
Yes, I have one I'm sure he will help me in any situation, and I will help him too.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:55 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,727,362 times
Yes, they do exist. They are pretty rare....but they do exist. Sometimes I think WE have to become better friends though, in order to HAVE better friends.

Unfortunately, many of the people who complain about not having friends, are not really good friend material themselves. What they REALLY want, is to have more people whom they can "count on to be there when they need something". Sadly, they themselves, are not the kind of people who can be counted on to be there, when their "friends" need something from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships