Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
One reason I like texting is I have hearing issues. I also hate being tethered to the phone - but I have people that if I don't answer that second, they have a cow and think I'm not available, etc. But I like being able to go to the bathroom without taking my phone! If they text, then I can reply in 5 minutes or so and they don't freak out that I don't answer, etc, and it's not a big deal. Yes, I actually have people that whine or get mad if I'm not answering their call. But if I need a few minutes to respond to a text, then it's not as noticeable. I feel like the phone is a leash sometimes and I hate it. I don't use the phone while driving, at dinner, etc so a text is nice because I can respond at my convenience.

My phone also has issues with voicemail, I don't know why. So again, texting just works better. Also I often cannot hear well depending on what is going on so texting is better. I find many do not have patience with me when I cannot hear them the first time.

I do like seeing in person too, yes. For good long conversations and big news I prefer it too. But for when we can't, I do enjoy texting. Honestly I prefer a good long email but no one seems to like to do that with me.
I like texting for those reasons too. I don't want to call and disturb someone if I don't have to and the hearing issues as well, so seeing what they're saying helps. However, that depends on how brief the texts are and/or spelling. Those smart phones changing the wording could make the text mean something entirely different than the sender intended if they're not careful to look before hitting that 'send' button.

I've noticed that iPhone users have a calendar inviting recipients, too bad that it can't transverse over to Android users as well. Currently, it's iPhone - to - iPhone users only. Still, nice feature, providing all your friends and family members have iphone but that's not true in my case. Probably not in many either. Not sure if Android has an invite feature just for other Android users? Keep forgetting to ask DH that. Say for example, DH and I are thinking of going out next weekend to somewhere close to where some of our family/friends live. I could do the invite feature and cover our contact/s (using iphone) and DH who has Android, [IF, same feature is available] could do the same, covering same contact/s and that way whether they have iphone or Android, they'd be sure to get the invite. Then, our contact/s, can at their convenience, check their phone and see the invite and respond. Hopefully, the sender gives at least a 24 hour's notice. Seems like a nice way to get together You're doing a little texting and then eventually (maybe) seeing one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:35 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Hadn't used my cell phone for months before ditching it entirely a couple months ago. You don't like texting, follow my lead. Spontaneity > accessibility. I'm 27 btw.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
I'm 33, and grew up around computers and technology. My career involves technology.....and I despise texting/instant messaging conversations with a fiery passion.

I get the value in texting/IM, to a degree. I think it's great for quick things like "I'm running late", "I'll meet you at 6", "Remember to pick up milk on the way home", "text me your address", etc....But I have zero desire in having full length conversations via text/IM. I understand the younger generation that grew up on texting, or when texting plans first became available for unlimited texting for something like $15/month, and minutes were still ungodly expensive.

I've told people that I dislike texting, and I much prefer a phone call, or *GASP*, actually seeing each in person! Heck, I even have friends that say they feel the same way as me, yet continue to text me. When I call them, they send my call to voice mail, and immediately respond with something like "what's up?" They tell me they're just watching TV, or wasting time on the computer, so it's not like they're somewhere that they can't talk on the phone. My last two GFs were also chronic texters, and it's largely why I chose to split.

The short of it is that I just don't want to be tethered to the keyboard or cell phone for hours, pecking away at those tiny keys, plus it just seems so impersonal.

Why is it seemingly everyone is only capable of communicating behind a computer screen or cell phone these days? I've gotten to the point that I don't run any IM programs any more, and my Facebook chat is turned off. I've posted on Facebook that if you can't be bothered to call or visit, I'm likely to ignore your texts. Quite a few people I don't have communication with anymore as a result. It's not I'm bitter or stressed out over it (in fact, I'm far less stressed out now that I've started ignoring texts and IMs, lol), I'm genuinely curious at this point.

Which is why I now delete people who only like to text and never call. Don't have time for it

Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not everyone likes phone calls. I despise them with a passion. For one thing, most cell phones do not sound crisp and clear to me and I often am straining to understand the garble.

Secondly, phone calls are interruptive. That is why most of mine (unless it is a client I need to respond to) will go into VM.

Thirdly, if I need to know something, I can text or IM and get a quick answer and not feel I am interrupting the other person. They can respond when it is convenient (as DR 2012 mentioned above). I love getting a text b/c I can then determine if a more complex conversation needs to take place and then I can text back and say - Should I just call? That way, I know I am not interrupting should I need to make that call.

Because I work at home, it seems many people think I am not really working! I do have a sporadic work "schedule" but no, I don't like social calls during the day. Just text me, then when I am at a stopping point, I will text you back.

This has in no way changed anything to do with my seeing people face to face. I get together with folks the same amount I always have. If texting has meant not spending time with people b/c you are texting rather than seeing each other, that is a basic relationship problem. Maybe the other person does not want to spend as much time as you do "face to face."

Some people love talking on the phone. Some people, like me, don't. Should I be forced to talk on the phone when I don't want to? Nope. I pay for the service and if my preference is that you leave a VM, and I get back to you, then that is what I will do. There is no reason for anyone to get insulted! I surely don't -- and the majority of folks I know let most of their phone calls go into VM.

I think what folks are having a hard time dealing with is . . . maybe the people who are using texting instead of phone calling NEVER DID like calling and chatting . . . and now they have the perfect solution to staying in touch - without phone calls. If someone finds that insulting, then I guess they are just going to lose out on relationships, b/c not everyone likes talking on the phone!

So that must be why this girl sent me a text message tonight asking a question and when I called to answer it she didn't pick up the phone?

BTW: I decided to delete her dumb a$$ for that.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 PM
FBJ

Texting is fine when you are not home.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times
My house is usually noisy. Small apartment, five people, 2 dogs. A phone call means I have to go off and try and find a quiet space and announce to everyone that I am on the phone, please keep it down. Then it all goes to hell when someone knocks on the door while I am on the phone and the dogs are set off into a barking frenzy anyway.

I prefer email, texting, and face to face interaction. I don't like to have long texting conversations -- that's what email is for IF you can't get together face to face.

Also my phone is crappy and cuts out and in a phone call I cannot always hear all that is being said. I can't afford to replace the phone right now either. It is currently "broken" and the phone function only works in speakerphone mode. Ugh! It is awful.

I have a friend that INSISTS on calling for everything. I've told her over and over about the phone issues. She has a brand new Iphone so she doesn't understand my crappy refurbished Samsung issues. I'm not talking about calling for a chat, she just insists on calling for something like "Hey I am free Friday, see you around 2:00?" which is just as easily handled via text or a Facebook message or something, but she is sort of phobic about texting I guess.

It will usually start with a FB convo along the lines of "Hey, we are thinking of doing blah on Saturday, have you seen that show?" and inevitably she'll stop the FB convo and call me just to say "Hey let's meet at 7pm" and I personally don't understand why that requires a phone call.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 AM

838 posts, read 1,353,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Which is why I now delete people who only like to text and never call. Don't have time for it
I don't answer phone calls unless it's my dad. Everyone else knows to text because I don't like talking about nonsense bs for the first 5 mins until they decide to get to the point of the call. The only reason I have a phone is for work and my dad. Texting in my case takes less time, gets to the point and is more efficient.

My cell is for my convenience, not anyone elses.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:09 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
I don't answer phone calls unless it's my dad. Everyone else knows to text because I don't like talking about nonsense bs for the first 5 mins until they decide to get to the point of the call. The only reason I have a phone is for work and my dad. Texting in my case takes less time, gets to the point and is more efficient.

My cell is for my convenience, not anyone elses.

What is all this less time about???

Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 AM

5,207 posts, read 4,668,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
I've told people that I dislike texting, and I much prefer a phone call, or *GASP*, actually seeing each in person! Heck, I even have friends that say they feel the same way as me, yet continue to text me. When I call them, they send my call to voice mail, and immediately respond with something like "what's up?" They tell me they're just watching TV, or wasting time on the computer, so it's not like they're somewhere that they can't talk on the phone. My last two GFs were also chronic texters, and it's largely why I chose to split.
The problem isn't texting. The problem is that you failed to see the subtext. You are not important enough to them for them to drop everything and devote 100% of their attention to talk to you on the phone. I don't understand how two people who genuinely wants to talk to each other will let the form of communication get in the way. More often than not, the person complaining about the form of communication failed to grasp that the other party just isn't as interested in talking.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
The problem isn't texting. The problem is that you failed to see the subtext. You are not important enough to them for them to drop everything and devote 100% of their attention to talk to you on the phone. I don't understand how two people who genuinely wants to talk to each other will let the form of communication get in the way. More often than not, the person complaining about the form of communication failed to grasp that the other party just isn't as interested in talking.

He did grasp that which is why he split
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships