Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:14 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LT View Post
May not be true for you or anyone else, but for me it has been.. People that go out of their way to be offended by any little thing have the issues, not the people they accuse. School teachers that are pro Union often exhibit this behavior. It's like programmed into them to complain rather than change jobs. They just can't part with the summers off though. Again this has been my subjective experience.. Everyone has different experiences and no one can say with authority whether or not this is true.
"School teachers that are pro Union often exhibit this behavior. It's like programmed into them to complain rather than change jobs. They just can't part with the summers off though. "

Sounds like a pretty narrow range of experience.

Speaking from a broader range of experience, including across several countries, I find that truly clever sarcasm has been appreciated everywhere I've been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 03:38 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Quote:
Wow, you people are amazing. Did you ever stop and think that the reason someone in your life is always using "excessive" sarcasm with you is because it is YOU that is the controlling, abusive, manipulator? Of course you didn't, because you are always right about everything. Grow up and get a sense of humor. They should make a post about a-holes that DON'T have a sense of humor. And news flash: those that don't understand sarcasm have a lower intelligence level. Studies have proven this.
If you're not funny, you're not funny.

Actually, it is usually the sarcastic person who has to be right all the time, which is why they use sarcasm to try and bring others down a notch. Not liking mean spirited sarcasm has nothing to do with not understanding it, and everything to do with the person making the mean spirited sarcastic remarks being insecure. Or just mean.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Let's first distinguish between sarcasm and humor. They aren't the same.

Well, people who are sarcastic typically think they're funny but aren't. In truth, they're just sad and mean people and don't even realize it. Sarcasm, by its very definition, is intended to belittle others. I mean, it's a form of humor used by eight-year-olds, so it's not exactly the soul of wit.

On the other hand, humor is more typically a device that breaks tension. It's really a way to dealing with those situations that are sad, tragic, or inappropriate.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
This being country has lost its sense of humor. I love sarcasm. It's a great way of having fun with a situation without depressing the mood. You have to have a higher level of intellect to pull it off. I enjoy being around people who can sarcastically banter with each other without being offended.

It is possible to go too far. It probably is a protective measure for some people.
Then you don't understand the definition of sarcasm:

1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark:

It is derived from the Latin word sarcasmus, or to rend flesh or sneer.

There is nothing nice about sarcasm. There is nothing kind about it. By definition, sarcasm is intended to put others down, to wound and belittle. If you describe yourself as sarcastic and live up to that definition, that simply means that you're kind of an a-hole.

So you might want to rethink that.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Wow, you people are amazing. Did you ever stop and think that the reason someone in your life is always using "excessive" sarcasm with you is because it is YOU that is the controlling, abusive, manipulator? Of course you didn't, because you are always right about everything. Grow up and get a sense of humor. They should make a post about a-holes that DON'T have a sense of humor. And news flash: those that don't understand sarcasm have a lower intelligence level. Studies have proven this.
Hardly. The average six-year-old is proficient in sarcasm. Don't flatter yourself. People who defend sarcasm are much like those with abusive personalities, which is actually appropriate. It's always the fault of the other person when they are offended by it.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Even that isn't serious. We all die one day.
Well, in certain moments for certain people it can be really, really badly serious. So, I stand my ground on this small thing.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:41 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Well, people who are sarcastic typically think they're funny but aren't. In truth, they're just sad and mean people and don't even realize it. Sarcasm, by its very definition, is intended to belittle others. I mean, it's a form of humor used by eight-year-olds, so it's not exactly the soul of wit.

On the other hand, humor is more typically a device that breaks tension. It's really a way to dealing with those situations that are sad, tragic, or inappropriate.
There are different types of humor and sarcasm is one of them. Also all types of humor can poke fun at another person and can then be interpreted as bullying by listeners. It can be witty but it depends on the person using it. Dry/sarcastic type of humor is my favorite because it tends to be more subtle..it's not in your face like knock knock jokes which I don't find funny.

Of course not all sarcasm is humor..as I say sometimes it's just a way of expressing discontent without being blunt but some sarcasm is.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:05 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
There are different types of humor and sarcasm is one of them. Also all types of humor can poke fun at another person and can then be interpreted as bullying by listeners. It can be witty but it depends on the person using it. Dry/sarcastic type of humor is my favorite because it tends to be more subtle..it's not in your face like knock knock jokes which I don't find funny.

Of course not all sarcasm is humor..as I say sometimes it's just a way of expressing discontent without being blunt but some sarcasm is.
Sarcasm is not always person-directed. The most witty sarcasm is situation-directed.

The problem today is that there is a lot of sarcasm going around because people think it displays wit...and good sarcasm does, but most people are simply not that witty, so most sarcasm is bad.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:26 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
This thread is really making me rethink my use of sarcasm.

I use it all the time and it's because it's the one thing that consistently seems to make people laugh, and I absolutely love laughter, it's probably my favorite thing in the world. I am always looking to find the humor in things. Life is so hard. I'm always in search of the funny so I'm not bogged down by the hard.

But if it's making people unhappy and I never knew that...well...ugh. That's horrible.

I have marked my spot in this thread and will keep looking.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:07 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
There's a huge difference between directing sarcasm toward a person and directing it toward frustrating/absurd situations or institutions.

I use sarcasm a lot, but to point out or express frustration about situations I and others are stuck in (I work in a field largely funded by and controlled by government entities; 'nuf said) It cracks people up, breaks the ice, and brings us all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships