Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM

493 posts, read 514,937 times

Advertisements

I am an officer for a collegiate service organization. This semester we have had a few Chinese international students join us. They're active members who have gone to all our service events, and they never require carpool which is great for us.

However, I'm concerned about their integration into the club. Like I said, they never require carpool from us so they always come together and miss out on bonding with the rest of us. While at events, they always keep to themselves, only speak Mandarin amongst themselves, and don't make an effort to socialize with the rest of us. Our school (a community college) is predominantly Hispanic and Asian and our club's membership reflects these demographics. However, the rest of us are either American-born or raised and we are stumped at exactly how to integrate them into our group.

Tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 11:22 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,675 times
Try to ask them to take you to a Chinese restaurant, meet them on familiar territory. Organise a ''China night'', ask them to explain their respective cites' histories, teach you some Mandarin. You can do a tandem, you coach them for Spanish. Get them to write their names in Mandarin on a board- Chinese people tend to be proud of their clans who share the same surnames- with the writing they are able to trace the area where their ancestors came from, sometimes right down to their villages!

They might be homesick, having culture schock and maybe not confident of their English or afraid of inadvertently being rude to the host country.

If all else fails, just tell them upfront that you would want to welcome them and how can you help them exactly? And don't forget the ''face'' factor (google i), you should let them have a certain amount of way out and not be always so direct, esp, in public when correcting or scolding one of them.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I am an officer for a collegiate service organization. This semester we have had a few Chinese international students join us. They're active members who have gone to all our service events, and they never require carpool which is great for us.

However, I'm concerned about their integration into the club. Like I said, they never require carpool from us so they always come together and miss out on bonding with the rest of us. While at events, they always keep to themselves, only speak Mandarin amongst themselves, and don't make an effort to socialize with the rest of us. Our school (a community college) is predominantly Hispanic and Asian and our club's membership reflects these demographics. However, the rest of us are either American-born or raised and we are stumped at exactly how to integrate them into our group.

Tips?
What's the problem and who has the problem?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM

183 posts, read 353,064 times
I'm assuming you are all of drinking age? Go Karaoke-ing, go out drinking.....alcohol is a universal ice breaker!

Or set up events (contest or team sport events) where you have to partner up (randomly or pre-set partners, like charades) so the Chinese students cannot band together and will have an opportunity to get to know the "locals" a bit more, or have dinner parties with pre-set seating arrangements (breaking up the group of students)

It's just easier and more comfortable for them to stick together and no reflection of them not wanting to integrate I think...you just have to be more proactive in putting them in those situations as they won't naturally go there themselves.

Last edited by tamlym; 10-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: ,

Old 10-17-2013, 06:00 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
We have a number of very young Chinese employees at work. Usually students in their first job out of college. Most work a few years and wind up going back to China.

They are quiet and reserved and rarely associate with other employees. They mostly talk to their fellow Chinese. They seem to have no interest in participating in any social activities at work.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
We have a number of very young Chinese employees at work. Usually students in their first job out of college. Most work a few years and wind up going back to China.
They are quiet and reserved and rarely associate with other employees. They mostly talk to their fellow Chinese. They seem to have no interest in participating in any social activities at work.
That is exactly the same at the University near us. To the OP, this large University has tried but
they tend to stick with their own no matter what events the college attempts. They are quiet and
reserved as 30to66 explained. Once they finish their education, they go back to China. They also
leave all belongings which they bought in the US other than their computer and cell phone.
Some agencies try to collect what is left behind (even very expensive cars) and auction them off
and use the proceeds to help the needy in the community or it goes to the landfill (not the cars).

Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
You write that this is a service organization - how about involving these students in one or more of the service projects, along with other members whom you think would make good friends for them? Give them something to do, and make sure they understand it. Perhaps bell-ringing for the Salvation Army, paired up with likely companions, or something actually hands-on, depending on what sort of projects your group does...make them feel a part of things, and thank them for their contribution.

Get to know them, and as others have suggested, ask them about themselves individually - what are their families like? What are their professional goals? What are their hobbies and personal interests? Show genuine interest, and if you identify with any of their personal traits, tell them - "Wow, I love to read mysteries, too! Who's your favorite author? Is there a Chinese Agatha Christie?", or, "Gee, I didn't know you played soccer - so did I when I was in high school! Do you still play?", etc.

Find more common ground, and don't let it lie fallow.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:40 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
....and my advice would be, leave them alone. They are adults and they have the right to decide how their college or work experience should go.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:59 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times
I have been an ESL teacher and taught many international Chinese students. You need to realize that a lot of Chinese international students come to Anglophone countries without any real spoken English (spoken English isn't really taught in China) and many of them (I hate to say ALL but a huge number) are here because their parents made them, and not because they want to be. Those with the money and opportunity to live abroad tend to be those who come from wealthier families and whose families push them hard with education. They are often "spoiled" and the prestige of being abroad matters more back home than any English that will be picked up. I hate to say it, but this is generally true for many students who are international from Asia. Now, Chinese immigrants, that is a different story as they have high motivation and require English skills for daily life - but not necessarily the young college kids whose parents shipped them to the US for a year.

In terms of practical immigration, you might want to try a buddy program, pairing them with a Hispanic or non-Mandarin speaking student. Otherwise good luck, I have colleagues trying 20 years to fix this. LOL.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:06 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
maybe invite them to your homes to celebrate American holidays. My daughter and her husband live near several universities and often invite Chinese students to her home to celebrate with them. She made them thanksgiving dinner, Invited them to come a decorate the Christmas tree and made them chilie. They loved it and all of them enjoyed playing with my granddaughter who was just a baby. They came over and cook chinese food for my daughter and her family. They almost always brought something for the baby. They became facebook friends and seemed to enjoy getting to know the American customs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships