Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times

Advertisements

This is more of a rambling post with no point. Please ignore if you aren't into that.

I live in a rural area and I have "whined" about the pigs that litter on my road before. Apparently one of my neighbors has a little bit stronger feelings about the litter....

A few weeks ago I noticed an area that usually got a lot of litter had been cleaned up and a sign saying "Show a little pride- DON'T LITTER" . This area has always been bad because it is where you turn on to a two lane road and I guess the drunks like to get rid of empties and trash before they hit that road. Today I noticed another sign had been put up saying " Littering may cause lead poisoning".

This area is about two miles down the road from me and I don't know anyone there. (I keep to myself) I think it might backfire on the person since 1) Drunks love a challenge or 2) The Sheriff might take a dim view of threats. Either they will get a lot more litter in that spot or the Sheriff will be knocking on peoples doors to discuss the sign.

My solution to the litter problem has really worked out well for my peace of mind. I walk the road every day after work and on weekends. I have "adopted" my walking route and it is immaculate. No threats to shoot anyone, I just pick up the trash and hope that people notice how clean it is and stop.

I'm glad to see that someone else on my road is concerned about litter. I am just scratching my head about their approach to the problem. Empty threats of violence do nothing to solve the problem. If I were to put up some sort of sign I would ask the county highway department for one of their official "500 dollar fine for littering" signs and attach a sign below saying "Litter camera area" or something that might make people think they could get busted.

I would love to put up some cameras and find out who the drunks are. I constantly find the same brands of beer and whiskey bottles on my walks. It would be a public service (in my opinion) to call the Sheriff and tell them a drunk is regularly drinking and driving on my road in a particular make/model of vehicle. If they had the information maybe they could handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
put up a sign

if you litter "smile, you are on the police litter cam? littering will get you arrested..

Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
put up a sign

if you litter "smile, you are on the police litter cam? littering will get you arrested..
I don't know, sounds better than a threat to shoot them.

I am somewhat disturbed at what I find on the road every day. Someone is doing some heavy drinking while driving. For the most part I find beer cans/bottles but at least once a week I find "Jim Beam" Whiskey bottles. It ain't cool these people are endangering other drivers.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
put up a sign

This is a MUCH better and effective idea.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I don't understand your mentioning threats or shooting anyone. Is that what "lead poisoning" is supposed to mean? I would have thought someone was simply worried about dumping lead into the environment. Then again, I live in the suburbs. That stinks about the litter. We have a stretch of road near us that passes a 7-Eleven and liquor store, across from some apartments. There's always trash along that road.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't understand your mentioning threats or shooting anyone. Is that what "lead poisoning" is supposed to mean? I would have thought someone was simply worried about dumping lead into the environment. Then again, I live in the suburbs. That stinks about the litter. We have a stretch of road near us that passes a 7-Eleven and liquor store, across from some apartments. There's always trash along that road.
Lead poisoning = bullets

Old 02-27-2014, 06:42 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Huh. Why not just say, "Litterers will be shot"? Fewer letters and no confusion. Oh well.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:11 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
This is more of a rambling post with no point. Please ignore if you aren't into that.

I live in a rural area and I have "whined" about the pigs that litter on my road before. Apparently one of my neighbors has a little bit stronger feelings about the litter....

A few weeks ago I noticed an area that usually got a lot of litter had been cleaned up and a sign saying "Show a little pride- DON'T LITTER" . This area has always been bad because it is where you turn on to a two lane road and I guess the drunks like to get rid of empties and trash before they hit that road. Today I noticed another sign had been put up saying " Littering may cause lead poisoning".

This area is about two miles down the road from me and I don't know anyone there. (I keep to myself) I think it might backfire on the person since 1) Drunks love a challenge or 2) The Sheriff might take a dim view of threats. Either they will get a lot more litter in that spot or the Sheriff will be knocking on peoples doors to discuss the sign.

My solution to the litter problem has really worked out well for my peace of mind. I walk the road every day after work and on weekends. I have "adopted" my walking route and it is immaculate. No threats to shoot anyone, I just pick up the trash and hope that people notice how clean it is and stop.

I'm glad to see that someone else on my road is concerned about litter. I am just scratching my head about their approach to the problem. Empty threats of violence do nothing to solve the problem. If I were to put up some sort of sign I would ask the county highway department for one of their official "500 dollar fine for littering" signs and attach a sign below saying "Litter camera area" or something that might make people think they could get busted.

I would love to put up some cameras and find out who the drunks are. I constantly find the same brands of beer and whiskey bottles on my walks. It would be a public service (in my opinion) to call the Sheriff and tell them a drunk is regularly drinking and driving on my road in a particular make/model of vehicle. If they had the information maybe they could handle it.

It could also be some teenagers hanging out and drinking and just ditching the bottles there. There's really no proof that a driver is coming there just to ditch their empty bottles.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
It could also be some teenagers hanging out and drinking and just ditching the bottles there. There's really no proof that a driver is coming there just to ditch their empty bottles.
I didn't say a driver is coming there just to ditch empty bottles. I speculated that the drunks (or teenage drunks) dump a lot of bottles/cans at that point because it is just before they have to drive on a two lane road. Maybe they don't want to have empties in the vehicle on a road that the police are patrolling.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Where did I post that?

It is pretty clear that drunks (teenagers or otherwise) are driving the back roads drinking. I speculated the reason there is a lot of trash at that particular point is it is where the driver has to turn onto a two lane road. There is more chance of running into a cop on the two lane road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships