Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:58 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,718 times

Advertisements

When y'all go out for family dinners, how/who takes care of the bill! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 02:00 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
When y'all go out for family dinners, how/who takes care of the bill! Thanks.
My two brothers

Old 12-19-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My two brothers
Thanks. Mind me asking how old you are?

Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Mind me asking how old you are?
I am 28 now

My two brothers always take care of the bills though. Both of them are very successful financially, that is why.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I am 28 now

My two brothers always take care of the bills though. Both of them are very successful financially, that is why.
I understand when you say they can afford it but do you ever offer to pitch in whatever you can?

Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
My wife has 7 siblings. We usually split the bill up per each nuclear family if we are all out together based on what was ordered. (basically we all pay our way... there would be no expectation for one person to pay for 10+ people (depending on how much of the family was there).

Old 12-19-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I understand when you say they can afford it but do you ever offer to pitch in whatever you can?
Honestly no. My brothers always offer to pay so willingly and happily.

They won't expect us to pay for meals at all.

My brothers even paid for my college tuition and my rent. They are awesome and I am blessed!

Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Honestly no. My brothers always offer to pay so willingly and happily.

They won't expect us to pay for meals at all.

My brothers even paid for my college tuition and my rent. They are awesome and I am blessed!
That is awesome of your brothers but a serious question for you. Please don't take this offensively but I'm just merely trying to understand the mentality. As an adult, why do you feel that is appropriate? Again, I understand that your brothers can afford it and not to say that you shouldn't accept their generosity, but why not offer to pitch in even if it's a paltry sum of whatever you can afford. Granted knowing they won't accept anything, but wouldn't that be the right thing to do as an adult? If you never offer to pitch in, wouldn't they somehow some day feel that your taking things for granted and taking advantage of them?

Old 12-19-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
That is awesome of your brothers but a serious question for you. Please don't take this offensively but I'm just merely trying to understand the mentality. As an adult, why do you feel that is appropriate? Again, I understand that your brothers can afford it and not to say that you shouldn't accept their generosity, but why not offer to pitch in even if it's a paltry sum of whatever you can afford. Granted knowing they won't accept anything, but wouldn't that be the right thing to do as an adult? If you never offer to pitch in, wouldn't they somehow some day feel that your taking things for granted and taking advantage of them?
This is just our family tradition. It has always been this way. That does not mean that we treat my bros like doormats (Trust me, they are not)

I love my brothers. If my sister and I or mom and dad offer to pay for the meals, it would be just, well, weird.

This doesn't mean that we take them for granted. For example, I always made a big deal about my two brothers' birthdays, special occasions, my mom and I planned my brother's wedding. Now my brother is in the hospital, mom and my sister in law and I take turns taking care of him. When my other brother was in the Marine Corps, I sent him gift basket, care package, letters. etc. That kind of stuff.

My brothers paid for my tuition and my rent when I was in college. When they were single, they took us out every Friday night. We are a very close family. They told us once their money is our money, and honestly, my money is their too. I can do anything and everything for my families.

That is why we don't really dwell on who is paying for the meals.

However, I think I understand where you are coming from. If one family member is taking advantage of everybody else, then that is another story. By no means, am I suggesting that one person should pay for everybody's meal, this is just our family tradition. Not a lot of families are like ours.

I am a very protective little sister. Nobody is going to take advantage of my two brothers! =)

Old 12-19-2013, 02:38 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
My wife has 7 siblings. We usually split the bill up per each nuclear family if we are all out together based on what was ordered. (basically we all pay our way... there would be no expectation for one person to pay for 10+ people (depending on how much of the family was there).
7 sibs in my family, too, and we do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships