Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I ran across the Facebook profile of a dead person today. His friend count hasn't changed month since his death nearly a year ago. Many people still have this deceased person as a friend and some post to his wall, even as recently as last week.

Do you remove dead people from your friends list or continue posting on their walls after they pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 11:11 AM

142 posts, read 505,850 times
Three of my Facebook friends are deceased, including my sister. I love keeping them on there, because that is the only connection I have left with them. I cherish going back and reading their posts and their communications with me. I will post on a couple of their pages, just to say I miss them. I feel like they are still a part of my life through FB.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Yes, but I don't go to their page or anything. I also have their phone numbers in my phone still.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 AM

367 posts, read 697,192 times
I did have 2 but, took them off my list. It was just weird looking at their profile knowing they weren't still alive. They weren't super close friends and I hadn't spoke to them in quite awhile before their deaths.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:48 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
After an acquaintance died of cancer a couple of years ago, it was odd to be reminded by Facebook, "It's Matt's birthday today! Wish him a happy birthday!" What was sweet is that people took the opportunity to post on his wall about their good memories. Even though he'd never see the messages, it helped his friends to remember and grieve.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
I'm still FB friends with a friend who was like a little brother to me who died in an accident a few years ago. It helps to keep his memory and love alive.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I am friends with a murder victim who would be 65 years old if she were alive today. Somebody has a profile for her and I friended her knowing she's been gone for a long time. If it were someone I know though, I don't see any reason not to be friends with their profile if they passed away and it were still up.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I think it depends on how well you know the person. I am still friends with someone who passed, people still post birthday wished and missing her. It is a way to remember.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:32 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I ran across the Facebook profile of a dead person today. His friend count hasn't changed month since his death nearly a year ago. Many people still have this deceased person as a friend and some post to his wall, even as recently as last week.

Do you remove dead people from your friends list or continue posting on their walls after they pass?
I still have a friend of mine & my husband's on my friends list, who passed away in October. I don't post on her wall. I thought about deleting her but I felt bad. It kind of freaks me out because people post on her timeline still, and will tag her in posts. I feel like a lot of people are having trouble letting go.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I have two people on my current friend list who are deceased.

One is a guy from my high school class who everyone loved, in high school and even into our 40s. He used to post great stuff on FB almost every day, but not the inane crap most people post. Last year he died of a sudden heart attack. I have not posted anything to him since, but I do enjoy reading the nice posts others put on his wall. Sometimes a person will just post "thinking of you and missing you today" and it makes me think of him too. He touched so many lives, and I guess it's kind of nice to still see him on my list. And I like to think he see the things people post.

The other person is a woman who was a close family friend, who was murdered by her husband last summer. I kept her on my list, because at first a family member was posting updates, about a memorial service and a donation effort for her little children. Also, when I was still shocked and trying to process what happened, I used to go to her page and look at her pictures, especially of her kids, and the very happy pictures with her & her husband. She is still showing up on my list, but I noticed recently I can't see anything on her page anymore. I think the police were involved in freezing her account or something, as there may have been evidence on FB for a few months before the murder (in her private messages).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships