Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:04 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am unemployed View Post
Now that he is an adult, the relationship is still cold and distant unless they want some money from him for some financial emergency. He had loaned his parents and sisters lots of money to try to buy their love and rarely is it paid back. The "loan" made them friendly for a short while but then coldness returned.
Wow. Your husband is such a good person for still trying to help them out after all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I never understood how people avoid someone for years due to significant reasons, but after they've passed on, they're at their funeral? They've got to sort it all out in their own minds and hearts whether they want the person in their life or not way before the funeral!

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 04-26-2014 at 05:00 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 06:29 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
When my husband was growing up he had a very cold and distant relationship with his parents and sisters. No one really liked each other and his parents would not show any interest in my husband's hopes dream and feelings. In fact they rarely talked at all and if they did it was just to direct him to do something. "Get ready for school!" "Clean your room" "Turn down the TV"

Now that he is an adult, the relationship is still cold and distant unless they want some money from him for some financial emergency. He had loaned his parents and sisters lots of money to try to buy their love and rarely is it paid back. The "loan" made them friendly for a short while but then coldness returned.

Last time the parents request was too much and he said no. They hung up the phone and have not talked for almost two years. (They live 200 miles apart.)

If it were you, would you try to make contact with them or wait for the funeral or family emergency?
Stay out of it. People become estranged for good reasons.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:39 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Life is too short for toxic people. Shared DNA does not make a family. I would leave things as they are and enjoy the peace of not being pestered for money.

Totally agree! I grew up in an extremely toxic household --- hatred, animosity, jealousy, abuse, etc etc etc. There is no reason for me to be in touch with any of my living siblings (one is deceased). I left as a teenager and never looked back. I like to think of it as escaping the loony bin just to keep my own sanity.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I never understood how people avoid someone for years due to significant reasons, but after they've passed on, they're at their funeral? They've got to sort it all out in their own minds and hearts whether they want the person in their life or not way before the funeral!

Some of us go to those just to make sure the stinking, lying, alcoholic, abusive, less than human is actually dead.
Besides there is always free food after the funeral.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:53 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Some of us go to those just to make sure the stinking, lying, alcoholic, abusive, less than human is actually dead.
Besides there is always free food after the funeral.

Hehe.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
They have made it clear they aren't interested in nurturing the relationship. I would only get involved when there is an emergency or death.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:17 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
They have made it clear they aren't interested in nurturing the relationship. I would only get involved when there is an emergency or death.
Not even then. Some people do not deserve that courtesy.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 AM

13 posts, read 25,285 times
It is so sad that someone who brings a child into this planet ends up being so cold and cruel to them. I could understand it if my husband was a difficult person or a criminal but he is very nice, friendly, successful and has a very mainstream personality. He is a conservative Accountant with a successful career and a life of good deeds.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:31 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
It is so sad that someone who brings a child into this planet ends up being so cold and cruel to them. I could understand it if my husband was a difficult person or a criminal but he is very nice, friendly, successful and has a very mainstream personality. He is a conservative Accountant with a successful career and a life of good deeds.
I agree.

Now, on a different subject, how is your nephew's job search going? Is she still working for minimum wage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships