Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 08:28 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

How does it feel? How much of a stranger do they feel?

I'm talking about someone you know well, you've bonded with, talked to for some time.

For me, when I met my friend I'd known for 5 years online (talking regularly), while it took a little time to get used to, I felt it was just like meeting any other old friend. We already knew each other from the 'inside out', shared a lot, the emotions we shared online were still real, as was the bond. Some people think these relationships aren't 'real', but even though I've only spent 3 days with him IRL, he's one of my closest friends. Sure, there's no substitute for face to face, but we're just on a very similar wavelength. He seemed pretty similar to how he was IRL.

What about you? How familiar did they seem? How did you get along? Were they how you expected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 08:52 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
I met only one person from online and it didn't go anywhere. She looked almost nothing like the person I was chatting with and she was much too heavy for my taste, so she lied about her weight. That was a one and done experience for me and haven't done that since.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I met only one person from online and it didn't go anywhere. She looked almost nothing like the person I was chatting with and she was much too heavy for my taste, so she lied about her weight. That was a one and done experience for me and haven't done that since.
Lol, basically a date?

Yeah I've been on a few dates, none worked out, but I did make a friend with one. She did have the temerity I guess to tell me after the third date that it probably wouldn't work out, but that we could still be friends. We did remain friends, although kinda lost touch with her since I moved.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How does it feel? How much of a stranger do they feel?

I'm talking about someone you know well, you've bonded with, talked to for some time.

For me, when I met my friend I'd known for 5 years online (talking regularly), while it took a little time to get used to, I felt it was just like meeting any other old friend. We already knew each other from the 'inside out', shared a lot, the emotions we shared online were still real, as was the bond. Some people think these relationships aren't 'real', but even though I've only spent 3 days with him IRL, he's one of my closest friends. Sure, there's no substitute for face to face, but we're just on a very similar wavelength. He seemed pretty similar to how he was IRL.

What about you? How familiar did they seem? How did you get along? Were they how you expected?
Very familiar, but fascinating at the same time to put actual physical mannerisms and features with the person I knew but didn't.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:52 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Well...since this is in the "Non-Romantic Relationships" forum, I assume we are not talking about going on a date with someone you met online. Rather, it's platonic friendships.

I've met a few people that way. We got to talking online, then we eventually met up. In each case, it went very well. I'm amazed at how the internet can bring people together who never would have met otherwise!

Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
It was ca 1997 that I first had this experience, i.e. meeting in person (non-romantic) friends I had met online. It was all good, and we're to this day close friends.
How very odd, imo, that this is still a discussion topic all these years later...

Old 06-19-2014, 01:23 AM

513 posts, read 799,375 times
I met some friends online. Two other women who were pregnant and on the same mommy website as me. We were all pregnant and due within a month of each other and talked a lot about all that encompasses. We meet up occasionally and let the kids play and they have fun while we talk. We have gone out to eat, to the park, etc. It was nice having people that were going through the same stuff I was.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:13 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
Anytime I met a friend from online in person it's always been really natural. We got along as well in person as we did before actually meeting.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:09 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
I met my BFF online 8 years ago. We talked online for 2 years then her and her husband flew down to meet me and mine. We all hit it off great and they visit us 3x a year and we go up there 1x a year. I talk to her every single day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships