Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times

Advertisements

No you should not. I am thinking this person is already self conscious and you will only hurt her feelings by saying anything.
I also question when a stranger wants to say something along these lines to someone that they don't know. Is it really out of care and concern or more about being nosey or that you are person who always has to say something even if it is not your place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 10:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Well for starters, you can go to a clinic at any major university with a dental program for almost free.
(snip)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well for starters, you can go to a clinic at any major university with a dental program for almost free.

------------------------------------
I tried looking into that. The hours that dental students work with patients are very limited. For example, I was told that I could only come in Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Plus, if I needed extensive work (which I did) I would have to come once a week at the same time. For example, every Tuesday between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m. Not everybody is able to do that. In my case, the job I had at the time would have meant taking time without pay plus if I insisted on taking this time off, I would have been told "no".

Not to mention, not everybody lives near a dental school.

Depending on the area where the clerk lives, she might not have a job with those benefits you mention.

All this is a moot point. The OP asked if s/he should say something to her, and the answer is "no".
We live near a very large dental school. First of all the costs at our dental school are not "almost free" but are 50% what a regular dentist in our area would charge. A $3,000 root canal that would take one two hour scheduled appointment and a brief scheduled follow-up appointment with your regular dentist would take several visits and you would not have a scheduled appointment. You either are assigned 8 AM or 1 PM and you just sit around and wait, with the dozens of other patients, until someone can see you and it still would cost $1,500.

Yes, dentures that would cost $6,000 from your regular dentist would "only" cost $3,000 but we were told to expect it to take many half day "appointments" and probably "a lot" more pain.

Now, it is true that once or twice a year the dental school has free clinics for homeless people and people in extreme poverty. I was told that last year patients started lining up several hours before the free clinic opened and hundreds were turned away.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Some do, many don't.
Those that do, don't give them to part-timers.
Almost all grocery stores hire part-timers rather than full-timers.
Long story short, dental benefits are a long-shot for grocery workers.
I think it depends on if the market is unionized. If the union is strong, there are probably some dental benefits. When my son worked for a market during HS he had to join the union and pay dues. I assume that even part time workers received some benefits therefore. I could be wrong. But I think pay and benefits depend on where the grocery clerks work, and what companies they work for.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:02 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
There's a young woman I see occasionally (she's the cashier at the store where I buy groceries weekly) for the past 3 years. We ... don't have a personal relationship. I think she has a pretty serious case of gingivitis. Her front top gum is swollen and bright red. Its so very evident when she smiles. She's in her 20's, married and has a young baby -- we have exchanged a few words. I think its pretty serious and if she doesn't get it checked out she might start losing her teeth. Do you think I should say something or just assume people in her personal network will likely say something to her?
Therefore, you are in no position to say anything.

[paper or plastic?]

Old 07-12-2014, 05:55 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
This, how can you pay for dental work when you have no benefits, and only make $400/week?
Heh, you mean $320/week - before taxes. And that's if they pay you $8/hour instead of the $7.15/hour minimum wage.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:27 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Heh, you mean $320/week - before taxes. And that's if they pay you $8/hour instead of the $7.15/hour minimum wage.

I live on something similar to that but luckily I have insurance. I had two emergency root canals done this year and I still had to pay hundreds out of pocket. I have a dentist that has a flexible payment plan which helps a lot. I neglected my oral health for years and had to learn the consequences the hard way.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:49 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
A little off topic, but it's pretty bad that in this country people can't get dental care they need and end up losing their teeth and/or getting bad infections due to lack of dental care. Why isn't dental care considered part of a person's general health? I don't understand that. I'm in a similar position now, as are many others. Dentists offer only a negligible cash pay discount (if any), and the only discounts they want to offer are for new patients. I have great medical insurance, but no dental insurance. I have a dentist I really like, but I can't afford to see him anymore for just my general cleanings, x-rays, and exams every six months. It ends up costing almost $300 just for that. So I have to see a new dentist every six months to get a new patient discount just so I can afford dental care. And I'm of course crossing my fingers that I don't need a major procedure at any time. . .

Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
ok, won;t say anything and I was only considering it because some people might not understand that neglecting teeth is a health issue, not a cosmetic issue.

Kind of like if you see someone with a skin mole that looks like melanoma (that's even more serious) do you say something?

Old 07-12-2014, 07:11 AM

223 posts, read 300,346 times
Dental schools are not "practically free" anymore, but dental hygiene schools in community colleges are practically free for at least the exam, x-rays, and cleaning part. Some of them have evening hours.

Most cities have community clinics that provide dental services on a sliding fee scale. When your income gets very low, your work is at no cost. I have a friend who works at one.

I would never embarrass someone by pointing out that their teeth or gums are bad and that they should see a dentist. I'm sure she is aware of the situation and dreams of having beautiful white teeth.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:51 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
ONLY 400 a week? How would you know how much she makes or how many hours or overtime.

And if her only problem is gingivitis, it can easily be dealt with not all that expensively. Unless she needs full mouth reconstruction in which case she needs to have them pulled and false teeth because if you cap your teeth in your 20's you better be WEALTHY to keep them up for life.

And don't be so sure about no dental benefits.

It's HILARIOUS how people are so condescending about grocery store jobs, no offense. But I worked in one and the clientele were UNBELIEVABLE.

Giving me pep talks and lectures about how to improve myself when they didn't even KNOW me and that I had just closed my business, have two degrees and was only working there overnight because my BF was in ICU for 3 months and I wanted some night job so I could be there during the day.

Anyway, GROCERY STORES HAVE BENEFITS INCLUDING DENTAL. Grocery stores have a career path. Grocery stores are a solid job especially for people with no skills and even people with disabilities like dyslexia. A chain like Publix even has programs hiring people with Down Syndrome etc. Grocery stores are well known for people starting as kids as baggers and working their way up to store manager and higher. Most of the people I worked with had over 10 years service. Except for the overnight stock crew who were work release from the local prison and they were hilarious to work with. I actually LIKED that job.

A bagger in my local Publix is NINETY SIX YEARS OLD and started when he was EIGHT FIVE!! LOL (yes he was a grocery store lifer from elsewhere)

I was making $14.50 per hour plus optional overtime at Giant way back in 1999. That's 580.00 per week for the math challenged. 30K a year without OT and there is always OT for a cashier especially on overnights.

Publix AND Giant just to name TWO - have very good benefits the same as I had as a manager for AT&T.

FOR THE 17TH YEAR IN A ROW, PUBLIX IS ONE OF FORTUNE MAGAZINES TOP 100 COMPANIES TO WORK FOR.

Benefits | Why Publix | Careers | Publix Super Markets

Core Benefits for All Eligible Associates

Employee stock ownership plan that contributes Publix stock to associates each year at no cost to them
An opportunity to purchase additional shares of our privately held stock
Annual holiday cash bonus
All hourly associates are paid weekly
Quarterly retail bonus for store associates
401(k) retirement savings plan with a company match
Group health plan (with prescription benefits)
Group dental plan

Group vision plan
Free flu shots
Direct deposit in up to three separate checking or savings accounts
Credit union membership
Tuition reimbursement
Service awards
Employee assistance program
Opportunities for advancement
Opportunity to participate annually in a survey to let management know your opinion on a wide range of workplace quality issues

Additional Benefits for Eligible Full-Time Associates

Vacation pay
Six paid holidays
Company-paid life insurance (with accidental death and dismemberment benefits)
Bereavement pay
Jury duty pay
Long-term disability plan
Holiday exchange (select another day off when you work a holiday)
Other Financial Assistance

Tuition reimbursement and tuition assistance for interns from certified culinary schools

Training Opportunities

Job class training provides every new store associate with structured, on-the-job training facilitated by a designated expert within the associate's department, as well as a reference library for ongoing support.
Formal mentoring programs are available for new retail managers and new support staff associates. These programs emphasize the importance of continuous learning and allow us to pass on our Publix culture to those new to our company or new to management.

Ongoing development occurs throughout the year as associates receive targeted training related to new initiatives Publix implements that update the way an associate performs the job.

Leadership development programs provide the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully fulfill the role of managing and leading others. Examples of topics included in our leadership programs include mastering effective communication, exploring leadership styles, handling conflict resolution, and coaching others to success.

Technical and operational training programs are provided to ensure our managers are proficient in managing the technical and business aspects of their departments. Examples of some of the technical training programs we provided include "Food Safety;" "Store Accounting: Gross and Net Profit;" and "First Aid and Bloodborne Pathogens."

All associates have access to a library of books, videos, and CDs that support personal development and growth. These materials support areas such as building effective relationships, focusing on self-improvement, driving results and increasing productivity, making decisions, planning strategy, promoting change, and managing talent.
More courses are under development.

Other Benefits

Free, hot lunches, served buffet style for corporate, manufacturing, and distribution associates who work at facilities that have a cafeteria
Discounts on goods and services, including computers and electronics, wireless phones, security systems, vehicles, roadside assistance, hotels, cruises, movies, theme parks, jewelry, athletic shoes, books, home loans, tax preparation, and identity theft protection
Business casual attire at most non-store locations
Free parking
What are you, HR for a grocery store chain? I don't really doubt any of this but that doesn't make it ok for the customer to say anything to the clerk about her teeth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships