Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:42 PM

917 posts, read 1,384,364 times

Advertisements

The one memory I will cherish the most is when my grandpa (who I was very close to) went to pick me up from my kindergarten class. It was my 2nd day. I remember him greeting me with a hug, scooping me up on his shoulders and running to his mustard yellow truck while I was on his shoulders!!! Note, my grandpa was about 65 when this happened. He picked me up from school till I was in 7th grade and the horrible disease known as Alzheimers took over. His kids didn’t want him driving so my grandma started picking me up. My friends would tease me because he would pull up in his mustard yellow truck and would be there about an hour before anyone elses parents & when I walked out he’d rush to the door to help me with my backpack. Lol I used to be embarrassed but I would do ANYTHING to have one more day with my grandpa now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 03:55 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregir View Post
spending 12 hours outdoors in the summer- running in fields- exploring the woods, lakes, and streams- working for the neighbors farm for .10 an hour, mostly tending sheep, gleaning corn, cleaning stalls, etc. loved it never felt exploited as we had horses to ride and I loved the animals and being around them.
Sunday dinner with my parents and 7 siblings around a big dinner table.
Idyllic

Old 09-11-2014, 06:09 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,927 times
I remember big holidays, where we had to go around a room of many people and give everybody a hug hello and good bye.
I remember watching that big fire that burned for days and days, ashes were falling all over everything.
I remember going to the store with a note and buying smokes for my mom.
I remember my father no longer around, always letting me down. Holidays changed. My mom had to work all the time.
I remember every year my grandpa would go out in the woods and cut down a Christmas tree and send it to us in the mail.
I remember every summer, my grandpa would drive down and we would spend a week driving back up north, we would swim in the rivers along the coast, go fishing, many memories with my grandpa.
I remember pitching in little league and in bobbysox, making it to the all stars.

So many memories of childhood.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:40 PM

866 posts, read 630,115 times
[quote=cremebrulee;36454389]I remember a lot of FEAR, PAIN, SORROW, SADNESS, more FEAR, UNHAPPINESS, DISAPPOINTMENT and a little FUN AND HAPPINESS.
wish I could offer lots of fun and happy memories, they are there but overshadowed by bad stuff. Sorry.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:03 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I remember spending a lot of time with my dad. If he was working on a project, I was right there with him. If he had to go to the hardware or lumber yard, I was his little sidekick.

Things really didn't change as I got older. Well the things we did changed. As I got older I would help him in the garden and we would can things together and things of the like.

The excitement I would get when my Grandma came for a surprise visit.

Spending the night at my aunt and uncles house and going to the speedway beside their house. Also playing in their barn with the cats and baby chicks.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:25 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
I remember the rare times my father acted like a decent father when I was younger. When we went to visit his side of the family in North Carolina. When we played baseball. When he took me to the NASCAR races. When we went fishing. Right at the time I started middle school, everything went to in our relationship, I remember that was the time he moved to NC full-time and it was never the same.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:59 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Wintertime elementary school sliding contests down the largest playground slide. Each kid would go down slide tucked and wear there slipperiest soled shoes for the ice. over time the ice path became longer. Since I was average height but light and had some great shoes I set the record one year making it across the asphalt about 70 feet to the bicycle racks near the school building.

Block versus block snowball fights. About half a dozen boys per block would practice our igloo / fort building skills and then commando raid skills to sneak up on our opponents. Hiding from the Christmas crowd by barricading myself behind some of the gift boxes under the tree in the corner of living room.

Being my older brother's gopher (he's 13 years older) while he did automotive work on his car which he adapted for racing (1/4 mile). Stacking firewood which my dad cut up from 2 x 4 and 4 x 4 packaging crate materials he'd bring home from work. Making 'manure' runs to the local park stables for free fertilizer early on Saturday mornings and the certain smell [Nature's Sweet and Sour] of morning dew (sweet) with rain soaked horse manure (sour).

Being so glad when I finally had a growth spurt around 15 that my mom couldn't use me as 'model' for the girls night gowns she'd sew. The wonderful smell of material bolts of cloth when I'd be tagging along with mom at the craft store that sold it. Threading the sewing machine needle for her because my small fingers and eyes were better.

Chopping wood to develop 'real muscle' the Rocky Balboa way. Playing endless made up games with the other kids around my age on the street during the summer. Honing my batting eye swatting lightning bugs at dusk with a thin yellow whiffle bat. Water balloon fights with sisters on hottest days of summer. Rides out to country in late summer for large amounts of local produce. Skipping stones contests across the local river metro park with my dad.

Those endlessly long goodbyes at large family gatherings with people I never knew because they were mostly all way way older than me.

That's some of what comes readily to mind

Old 09-11-2014, 10:24 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
My parents beating me for every little thing and my dad frequently pulling my mom off of me because the beatings would go on and on.

Being made fun of my teachers

Old 09-11-2014, 11:10 PM

477 posts, read 801,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winrunner View Post
Like luvmyhoss I remember being poor and not knowing it. We lived in a neighborhood where everyone was poor.

My mom making a dessert using spoiled milk.

Peeing on myself in elementary school and when the teacher came to put newspaper all around me I started looking around like I had no idea what was going on.

Hoping for but not getting a train set for Christmas.
Most of my "childhood" memories are not fond either. I feel like I never had a childhood. I grew up in the 70s and 80s. Kids weren't as babied, but things normal kids did or my own sister did, I would get punished for. I remember always wanting to be an adult to just leave the house. I remember my sister always getting her own way, but never really being happy about it. I remember my father leaving and the last time I saw him was at my grandmother's funeral. I was too sad to be mad at him. I can still hear my mom saying "Daddy's here..." I didn't respond and she said "He's not with Karen (his new wife)". Like it would make things better. I remember going to Sunday school and the teacher making fun of my clothes and just being so mean to me, because I was poor. I remember always being the tallest girl and not being able to wear cute clothes (as I was too tall). I remember a teacher in second grade whispering to another teacher "She's big and ugly, but she is very sweet". I just always remember until around high school or so (and even then still at home), my best was never the best, but any little mistake was always like I committed a crime. When I was sixth grade, I got answer right and it was accidentally marked wrong. I asked the teacher why was it wrong. It matches the book. She said I was being sassy and told me to mind my ps and qs or I would be sent to the office.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:18 PM

477 posts, read 801,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
The one memory I will cherish the most is when my grandpa (who I was very close to) went to pick me up from my kindergarten class. It was my 2nd day. I remember him greeting me with a hug, scooping me up on his shoulders and running to his mustard yellow truck while I was on his shoulders!!! Note, my grandpa was about 65 when this happened. He picked me up from school till I was in 7th grade and the horrible disease known as Alzheimers took over. His kids didn’t want him driving so my grandma started picking me up. My friends would tease me because he would pull up in his mustard yellow truck and would be there about an hour before anyone elses parents & when I walked out he’d rush to the door to help me with my backpack. Lol I used to be embarrassed but I would do ANYTHING to have one more day with my grandpa now.
I'll never forget being I forgot my notebook one day. I was in fourth grade. My grandmother came to drop it off. In curlers. Everyone laughed at her. I told her "I don't want to ever be seen with you again. You're so embarrassing". I made her cry. She got cancer shortly after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships