Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:20 AM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No frozen dinners? No microwave? Stove top percolator coffee? Powdered milk?
Meh... We do not eat frozen dinners. We rarely use a microwave. We do not even drink coffee... or milk.
No biggies.

Quote:
As it is, most have never experienced my 60's living.....the smells of living with cats scare them off.
What?
Cat odor has nothing to do with 60s living. W\ill you be doing something about that, or are you content with the odor and with the 'scaring off'?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:24 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
My family knows how I live, because they come for dinner!
And while people may do their own thing when they're by themselves, when they're expecting guests, most people will make sure that their homes are clean and comfortable and that there is appropriate food and drink available. If you're expecting company to brush aside your dirty laundry to sit down, and the house smells like cat pee, there are bigger issues at hand.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:55 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,281,108 times
The lack of a microwave or frozen dinners isn't anywhere on my list of deal breakers when staying in someone's home. To each their own. Doesn't bother me. Offensive cat odor? Completely different story.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:08 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,660,270 times
I'd like to nominate the OP as having the oddest posts on CD, and that's saying something.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:10 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,776,612 times
Your house should not smell like cats. A clean home does not smell like cat urine. Do you use scoopable cat litter? Do you scoop daily?

I have 2 cats, and my home does not smell like cats. I scoop my scoopable litter daily.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:25 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,281,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Your house should not smell like cats. A clean home does not smell like cat urine. Do you use scoopable cat litter? Do you scoop daily?

I have 2 cats, and my home does not smell like cats. I scoop my scoopable litter daily.
It's often not just a matter of the litter. Cats often spray, or they urinate in odd places. And it has to be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner or the odor will not go away. It will only get worse as it ages.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,752,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

I am getting a hoarder vibe here...anyone else?

Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I'd like to nominate the OP as having the oddest posts on CD, and that's saying something.
I second that emotion.

Don't want to come down hard on the dear woman (surely, it is not a man), but honest to Pete. Blaming your family's standoffs attitude on you lack of TV dinners is a stretch.

Could this be someone just having a good time with us?

Old 09-21-2014, 10:31 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yep. I used to be on a Hoarding Task Force.

My heart goes out to these folks. They honestly do not see their homes through the same eyes (or nose as the case may be) as the rest of the universe.

What looks like a pile of mildewed junk to everyone else, looks like valuable items that could prove useful in the future to them.

The powdered milk is the first clue. Some hoarders use powdered milk after one too many experiences with sour milk.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:33 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,776,612 times
Quote:
My brother came to visit me. I fixed up the place so he could stay. He walked in, took one sniff, declared he couldn't live where the cats were, started looking for a hotel room..........it cost him some. This is a weekend tourist town and rooms aren't that easy to find.

But I just picture a niece or nephew coming into town, check the frig, and declaring there is nothing to eat.....because my ice box is stuffed with frozen meat and fish, not instant dinners. Usually my bread for dinner are croutons. My milk is in reusable containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
YES! An "ice box" should not be "stuffed" with anything. Neatly organized, yes. Using croutons for bread?!? Rather hard to make a pbj with croutons, isn't it?
Milk in reusable containers? And powdered milk? No, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's often not just a matter of the litter. Cats often spray, or they urinate in odd places. And it has to be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner or the odor will not go away. It will only get worse as it ages.
True. If this is happening, she should be cleaning thoroughly immediately as it happens (and throwing out unwashable/uncleanable items that may have been sprayed), and then immediately taking the cat(s) to the vet to find out why this is happening....are they not spayed or neutered? Are they suffering from UTIs or crystals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships