Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 01:44 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times

Advertisements

Today I have a request from an classmate from grade school wanting to add me. The thing is I never hung out with him and he was one of the tough guy sorta bully types. I vaguely remember him threatening to fight me in 8th grade because his sister didn't like me. He had 2 sisters and we were in 8th grade. His one sister had an issue with me and i never even talked to her she was in 6th grade i believe. They were just a typical troublemaker family I guess. He didn't mess with me or anything really besides that one time i think he said " i'll f you up if you mess with my sister or something" I don't remember really I'm 36 now way too far back.

Anyway why would he want to add me?

And this brings up another subject. What if you found an old classmate on Facebook that actually got into a physical fight with you? Would you be compelled to say something to them? I found a guy that sucker punched me and ran away and used to mess with me in the lunch room. He used to spit in my lunch tray and say are you gonna eat that?

We were in 4-5th grade and again we are 36 years old now.

When i was a kid in late grade school high school i admit i was a dork and an easy target. I was tall and stick skinny and my teeth were kinda messed up. All that has changed now that I'm older.

So do you forget these things because we were kids at the time? It doesn't bother me I just have a great memory I remember the good and the bad things from my childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:53 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
I only use Facebook for the people that are in my life now. I had a friend request the other day from someone I went to school with . I ignored it. If I wanted to keep in contact with those people I would have all along.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I wouldn't accept it, especially if someone gave me trouble or we were not close.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM

336 posts, read 589,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If I wanted to keep in contact with those people I would have all along.
This.

Sometimes they're just adding you to see what you're up to. Most don't have any plans on talking to you. I tried reaching out to those I added and also to those who have added me, but I always got no responses. I never said or did anything creepy. Facebook has a timestamp of when they read your messages so I know they saw what I wrote, but didn't really care enough to reply. I know I'm not always the best at replying, but I'll usually try to say something.

This is part of the reason I don't add people who request to be my friend on Facebook. If they have gone so long without keeping in touch, then I'm not sure why they would try to contact me out of nowhere.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:09 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
I'd probably just ignore the person. Let them wonder if you even remember who they are.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:10 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I only have friends in real life as friends on Facebook.

(and yes, some are grade school/high school classmates...)

Old 10-20-2014, 02:20 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Today I have a request from an classmate from grade school wanting to add me. The thing is I never hung out with him and he was one of the tough guy sorta bully types. I vaguely remember him threatening to fight me in 8th grade because his sister didn't like me. He had 2 sisters and we were in 8th grade. His one sister had an issue with me and i never even talked to her she was in 6th grade i believe. They were just a typical troublemaker family I guess. He didn't mess with me or anything really besides that one time i think he said " i'll f you up if you mess with my sister or something" I don't remember really I'm 36 now way too far back.

And this brings up another subject. What if you found an old classmate on Facebook that actually got into a physical fight with you? Would you be compelled to say something to them? I found a guy that sucker punched me and ran away and used to mess with me in the lunch room. He used to spit in my lunch tray and say are you gonna eat that?

When i was a kid in late grade school high school i admit i was a dork and an easy target. I was tall and stick skinny and my teeth were kinda messed up. All that has changed now that I'm older.

So do you forget these things because we were kids at the time? It doesn't bother me I just have a great memory I remember the good and the bad things from my childhood.
Why he want to add you because he already grown up and he has no grudges. If some thing happened at grade 8 I don't even care now as a grown up woman now days. I am sure he wont send any friend requests if he knew that you are still not grown up. I have met one of my kindergarten friend on twitter last week. That is such a sweet memory. If I were you I would add him and let him see that you grown up.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:27 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,769 times
Someone that far back in life wanting to be your FB friend? And when he wasn't even your friend back then but only a local bully? Ignore him! He's just scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to look good on FB which isn't worth even being on in the first place. How pathetic...

Old 10-20-2014, 02:32 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post

I have friends on Facebook from grade school through college even though we lost touch. Sometimes "life" happens and people don't stay in touch as much as they would have liked to. The only friends I added were people that I actually want to stay in touch with because I have fond memories of them. Anyone who I vaguely remember or just didn't like, are not added.

Why did that person send you a friend request? Who knows? Maybe they grew up and want to re-connect? Maybe to them it wasn't a big deal and you were kids? Only that person knows why they sent you a friend request. If you're not interested, just ignore the request. I'm an adult. Whatever happened when I was in grade school is in the past. I couldn't care less what those people are up to now. Let it go. You're an adult. They may even have forgotten what they did.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I have friends on Facebook from grade school through college even though we lost touch. Sometimes "life" happens and people don't stay in touch as much as they would have liked to. The only friends I added were people that I actually want to stay in touch with because I have fond memories of them. Anyone who I vaguely remember or just didn't like, are not added.

Why did that person send you a friend request? Who knows? Maybe they grew up and want to re-connect? Maybe to them it wasn't a big deal and you were kids? Only that person knows why they sent you a friend request. If you're not interested, just ignore the request. I'm an adult. Whatever happened when I was in grade school is in the past. I couldn't care less what those people are up to now. Let it go. You're an adult. They may even have forgotten what they did.
Read my original post all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships