Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times

Advertisements

I know that it's customary when you leave a message for someone to say "Please call me back at your earliest convenience." This is in a professional setting. The "earliest convenience" thing is an attempt to be polite, and not demand an immediate call back for something that is not urgent.

But lately I've noticed that some people, on their own outgoing voice mail message/greeting say "Please leave a message and I'll call you back at my earliest convenience." To me, that sounds self-important and haughty.

In my greeting, I say "Please leave a message, and I'll get back to you as soon as I'm able" or "as soon as possible." To me, that conveys that I'm going to make an effort to call them back as soon as is humanly possible. To say I'll call them back at my "earliest convenience" sounds like "when I feel like it" or "when it's convenient for me."

So I guess what I'm saying is that referring to "your earliest convenience" is a polite thing to say, while referring to "my earliest convenience" comes off as very impolite.

Do you agree or disagree? Again, this is in a professional setting, not with family & friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 11:31 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
You are overanalyzing.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:34 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

So I guess what I'm saying is that referring to "your earliest convenience" is a polite thing to say, while referring to "my earliest convenience" comes off as very impolite.

Do you agree or disagree? Again, this is in a professional setting, not with family & friends.
It is a bit nitpicky but I agree. "Please call me back at your earliest convenience" is polite, like "don't go to any trouble." "My earliest convenience" does seem to imply "I'm not going to any trouble for you" which isn't usually the impression you want to give a business contact.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:34 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,016,050 times
I don't think I've heard a message saying "my" earliest convenience, but I'd probably think it was a bit self important.

My favorite message had to be a lady from SC and in her very southern accent said:

"Hi, this is "X", I'm currently occupied at another task. Leave a message."

It always cracked me up...but yea, the caller should say it, not the voicemail!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Oh Eve,
Perhaps. But hearing it made me bristle slightly, so I was really analyzing my reaction that I felt, and determined that it was because it came off as rude.
It doesn't bother me enough to get angry or say anything to a person who does this. It was just a little nagging thing, like a little pebble in my shoe.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
I think you're over-thinking things, and looking for things to bother yourself about.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I think you're over-thinking things, and looking for things to bother yourself about.
No, like I said. I wasn't looking for it, and I'm not that type of person who is in search of being offended like so many seem to be.

It just made me "bristle" like I said earlier. So I self-examined, and realized that my perception was that it was rude. Not overtly, over-the-top rude. But just slightly, almost subliminally rude.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Oh Eve,
Perhaps. But hearing it made me bristle slightly, so I was really analyzing my reaction that I felt, and determined that it was because it came off as rude.
It doesn't bother me enough to get angry or say anything to a person who does this. It was just a little nagging thing, like a little pebble in my shoe.
Well, I have gone to the other extreme, I fear, lol.

I no longer have the warm greeting as most of the calls I get are either from solicitors or people I really don't relish talking to on the phone, anyway.

Everyone I am close to either texts me or leaves me a message on FB chat.

I think I did probably have a message prior to this last year -- that either said "at our earliest convenience" or "as soon as possible."

I then decided - nope. Not going to promise that I will call back the minute I walk in the door and catch my breath. So now, my message is something like (no greeting such as - Hi< you have reached Anifani). . . my message states my phone # . . . You have reached xxx xxxx. If you wish, leave a message after the BEEP.

That's it. I don't say I will call them back as soon as possible or at my earliest convenience, either. I make no promises at all, lol.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:47 AM

Again, this is not on a person's home phone or personal cell phone that I'm talking about. But office phones in professional settings. In those cases, neither of my greeting messages is "warm" at all, but basically "leave a message."

Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Again, this is not on a person's home phone or personal cell phone that I'm talking about. But office phones in professional settings. In those cases, neither of my greeting messages is "warm" at all, but basically "leave a message."
Yes. Well, it is all the same for me. I use my cell and home phone both for business, and get personal and business calls on each of them.

I believe that my outgoing message on my business VM back when I was COO of an organization did state that I would "return your call at my earliest convenience" and also added, "if you need more immediate assistance, press X for a transfer to my assistant, Mandy."

I never considered that this would sound haughty or condescending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships