Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

Maybe she was just stressed out about dealing with a loss (which I'm sorry about, but how was I to know and does that excuse any kind of behavior in public)?, and taking it out on someone else. Has anyone else had this type of incident happen?
Let's see. You called her out. Then she told you she'd just lost a family member. And you're still calling her out.

Get over it. People who are dealing with the loss of a family member are walking around in a fog and do things they wouldn't do under normal circumstances. For all you know this was unusual behavior for her child (children react to death too) and she was distracted (grief does that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 09:11 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Let's see. You called her out. Then she told you she'd just lost a family member. And you're still calling her out.

Get over it. People who are dealing with the loss of a family member are walking around in a fog and do things they wouldn't do under normal circumstances. For all you know this was unusual behavior for her child (children react to death too) and she was distracted (grief does that).
Or she lied.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:

I can appreciate what you're saying and sympathize with the situation, but in fairness, I didn't know anything about her loss when I said something to her. My responses here have been directed more at responding to people's comments concerning when something is or isn't appropriate to say in general in a similar situation. I think I've made that clear in several posts.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Or she lied.
Yes, because pulling the Fake Death card is what people do when talking to a total stranger in a restaurant.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Or she lied.
My thought exactly.

Quote:
Yes, because pulling the Fake Death card is what people do when talking to a total stranger in a restaurant.

But, it wasn't the "loss" of 8 tables full of people, was it? Not their problem. Take your loss where it's appropriate, if that loss includes badly behaved children who will disturb a large section of a restaurant.

I can't stand this way of thinking - that if the excuse is good enough, then bad behavior is acceptable.

Life is not an excuse contest.

If the kid can't behave in public right now - don't take the kid out in public.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Op; your really worried about being called rude by rude people? There are more and more places that do not allow kids at certain hours and some that have one e area only. Others ask to be moved you don't have to pay to put up with them.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
too many people come up to me after being reprimanded for doing something wrong-- not with an apology but with a justification for their bad behavior.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:01 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
You did NOTHING wrong and I probably would have done exactly the same thing. Inconsiderate parents, who think their little darlings can do no wrong, need to be told when their behavior spills over into other people's enjoyment.

In fact, I did exactly what you did one time. My Son and I were trying to talk while enjoying our lunch and a woman a few booths behind us was playing games with her baby, making it scream at the top of it's lungs. She was encouraging the baby to do it, so after taking it as long as I could I walked over to her. I said "Ma'am, do you realize that your child is creating so much noise it is impossible for anyone to sit and eat peacefully ?" Her comeback was "It's a BABY !" To that, I said, "Yes, but you are the adult who is teasing the baby, making him act up like that !"

I went back to my table and the rest of the meal was quiet. One lady diner walked past me when she was leaving and said "Thank you !"

I have also asked to have another booth or table when a hostess tries to seat me next to a table with a few kids sitting there. I know it is not going to be pleasant, so why suffer through a nice meal I paid good money for.

Maybe the lady you confronted will think twice the next time and spare someone else having to go through what you did.............but I doubt it, inconsiderate people think they are the ones who are right.

Don

Old 12-07-2014, 10:07 PM

412 posts, read 545,768 times
Quote:

It can happen. A lot of times people don't want to be in the wrong and will come up with anything (or make a situation seem worse than it is) to make others feel bad.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 PM

420 posts, read 704,494 times
I had a mom call me jerkface after I reported her to an usher. Her toddler started crying during Maleficent and to pacify the tot the mom handed over her cellphone and let the baby take selfies. So for like 5 minutes all I saw was flash! Crazy baby pic. So I told the usher. Phone was put away, baby starts crying and dad had to take her out (like he should have the first time the baby started crying).

After the movie the woman marches up to me with her elementary age school son and calls me a jerk face. Obviously a nice woman, nice parenting.

I am pregnant, BTW. I hope my common sense doesn't go out the door upon delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships