Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
you here a lot of people not liking the person their best friend or their son or daughter being with , has there every been a point where you have disliked someone your friend or family member has been with?
Yes, but I realized that the choice is theirs, not mine. I can only change how I react, not other people's thoughts or behaviors. I just simply chose to ignore those whom I found extremely unpleasant. Life is too short to associate with unpleasant people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 12:08 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Yes, my sister's first husband and many guys she was involved with prior.

A couple of friends dated jerks. I was always honest about my feelings about people they were involved with, especially if they came to me with issues or problems, but I neverr overstepped my bounds. It was their relationship and it was up to them to "see the light."

One of my close friends ended up dating, then marrying, a jerk/sociopath that I was involved with. She hated him when I was with him, but I guess her tune changed. Unfortunately he made things awkward whenever my husband and I would get together with them, so I backed off on the friendship. Her getting together with him was the best thing to ever happen to me! From what I can tell, based on FB updates, they seem to be doing very well together and have a beautiful family. I just hope what it is being shown is truly how their relationship is. (He's a lawyer & politician.)

Old 01-03-2015, 01:16 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Other than that, how do you feel about her?

I do not like her due to the fact of the way she treats my brother. I've heard them fighting over the phone and the things she says and does is ridiculous. She acts like she's 16 with getting mad on stuff on FB that is completely harmless.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:25 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
omg yes my brothers gf bought us underwear for Christmas one year and she was tacky and nasty and told me how I did such a bad job with my kids and she did not even have any cause she did not want to ruin her body like the rest of us ...so she is gone now cause my brother had a come to jesus moment with her and he finally realized it was not everyone else it was her . He has a really nice gf now she is an er nurse and she works her butt off and she and I have several conversations through email about everything and she will tell me some of the things she sees in the er . I have a good relationship with her and we will stay friends regardless of what happens btwn her and my brother .

Old 01-03-2015, 03:05 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I learned this a long time ago that it is not a good idea to butt into your family members' personal businesses.
I don't want to stuck in a Damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I think each and everyone is responsible for his or her personal choice. Nothing you can do about it.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:57 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Yes. I think at one time or another, everyone may do this or have it done to them. In my case, though a friend might state their feelings about someone I was seeing, I found I would not do the same, yet not caring for their husband or boyfriend, and would eventually back away from the friendship. I've done this three times that I recall.. it was not that these guys were even tolerable, but just such a turn off for me that I could not keep it up. It's funny how some will feel it is okay for them to just blurt out something, though I feel they would have been so offended if I had said the same to them.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Lol the only person I can think of that my family didn't like much was my own husband. They were polite and supportive. But as the years went on I could see that the fact he didn't really 'fit' was an indication of the mis-match of our values and priorities, which were reflected by my family. They were sad to see me divorce but glad to see him go.

I'm not very close to most of my family, but when I'm dating someone, I do think about how he would 'fit in' with them. Especially my brother and sister in law, who have lots of friends and are generally liked by everyone. If a guy wouldn't fit in with them, I probably don't need him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships