Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 04:42 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times

Advertisements

This is just a random example. You drive a Lexus, large house paid off, don't have to work, married to money.

Your sister married a man who turned out to be a chronic gambler, is in debt, drives a 1995 Chevy truck, works full time, a mortgage that takes up half of her monthly income which she will be paying into retirement, and has car trouble.

You have a quarter of a million in savings alone, so if you bought her a car, it wouldn't hurt you at all. Or you could pay down her mortgage to reduce the payments so she's not stretched so thin into retirement.

Is there a moral obligation to help family members financially (could be immediate or extended)? Why or why not?

It seems there is taboo surrounding finances within families. People don't share their wealth, especially if they see someone in genuine need and are too prideful to ask for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 04:46 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
Nope. Don't do it.

now if she has dumped the gambler and is really actually making an effort to turn her life around and asks for a hand up (money for school, a more reliable used vehicle, a small money gift to make ends meet here and there), then its up to you.

But it isn't an obligation.

But what worries me most...you are married to your money? Now that is something to really put thought into.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:47 PM

and a 1/4 mil in savings isn't a lot. Even with a lexus, house, retirement and insurance.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I think every adult is responsible for the choices they make, so no, morality doesn't enter the picture under these circumstances. That doesn't mean if a family member is is dire straights due to poor health, job loss, or similar things beyond their control, that other members of means shouldn't step up and extend a hand. I just don't think it's a moral issue.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:49 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I try to help people who are down on their luck through no fault of their own and seem to have the prudence to want to do better. We all need a helping hand occasionally. As far as helping them because of some misplaced family obligation, no.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Nope. Don't do it.

now if she has dumped the gambler and is really actually making an effort to turn her life around and asks for a hand up (money for school, a more reliable used vehicle, a small money gift to make ends meet here and there), then its up to you.

But it isn't an obligation.

But what worries me most...you are married to your money? Now that is something to really put thought into.
Not in a sense that you married someone because they have money, but got lucky and married a successful man.

Or another example: You're a successful man, getting lucky with many investments that brought you more than enough revenue to live off of. You have a brother who is struggling financially, works full time but is scraping by (about to lose house, has a lousy unreliable car, and a family to support), and could use a financial boost.

This is all hypothetical.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Not in a sense that you married someone because they have money, but got lucky and married a successful man.

Or another example: You're a successful man, getting lucky with many investments that brought you more than enough revenue to live off of. You have a brother who is struggling financially, works full time but is scraping by (about to lose house, has a lousy unreliable car, and a family to support), and could use a financial boost.

This is all hypothetical.
I thought you meant married to *the* money (like it was your life). My bad, I get what you mean.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
I tend to agree. Not to mention if the "random example" married money, it's not really his to decide to use to support his sister. He and his wife (whose family money it presumably is) need to make that decision together. I too would be inclined to help out in small ways from time to time (activity fee for a child's activity or inviting a child along on a family outing) unless the sister decided to leave the loser husband. Otherwise it's simply enabling the husband's problems. I agree it's not an issue of morality.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-11-2015 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 04:59 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
This is just a random example. You drive a Lexus, large house paid off, don't have to work, married to money.

Your sister married a man who turned out to be a chronic gambler, is in debt, drives a 1995 Chevy truck, works full time, a mortgage that takes up half of her monthly income which she will be paying into retirement, and has car trouble.

You have a quarter of a million in savings alone, so if you bought her a car, it wouldn't hurt you at all. Or you could pay down her mortgage to reduce the payments so she's not stretched so thin into retirement.

Is there a moral obligation to help family members financially (could be immediate or extended)? Why or why not?

It seems there is taboo surrounding finances within families. People don't share their wealth, especially if they see someone in genuine need and are too prideful to ask for help.
If there is someone truly trying and consistently so, sure. One with a bum of a husband and refuses to rid herself of him? No. Those that are capable or work and refuse to do so? No. It's all pretty much common sense. For those that truly need, sure. The others? No f'in way.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Wasn't there a thread on this very topic a couple of months ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships