Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 06:43 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,024 times

Advertisements

I feel so lucky to have met my amazing friend at a bar randomly. I was in a particularly friendly mood that night and decided to strike conversation with a stranger, probably because he seemed like a very friendly fellow. He was actually on a first date with somebody he didn't like lol and he later told me he had more fun talking to me and my friend. I find him hilarious. But the best part? He finds me friggin hilarious. People have told me I'm funny since childhood but talking to this guy actually makes me feel funnier. I don't think I've met someone like that before. He cracks up at things I say that I wasn't even aware was funny. Maybe he just gets amused easily. Growing up I feel like I got more dry and straight-laced working jobs in corporations and being professional and that BS. Talking to some people make me feel like I'm boring. The conversations can be like pulling teeth and I worry that it's my fault. I'm just trying to figure out how to channel this guy and be able to feel funny every time even when talking to people who don't see me funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 06:59 PM

318 posts, read 516,495 times
.... Meh, sometimes feelings can be false (speaking for myself here now), though my sense from your description is that there was a genuine initial connection with you two. After all, what more do we really benefit from than the one we truly enjoy talking with? Hmmm? All the rest of that stuff is extra gravy. Just be who you are. Got a feeling that there could be some chemistry at work.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:14 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
similar sense of humour.
Or flirting
Or drunk

sounds like a good friendship

Old 02-01-2015, 10:22 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Sounds as if you might be kindred spirits, who spark off each other. Keep in touch with this guy - hanging out together will confirm if you really are kindred spirits who have the potential to become good friends.

Nothing weird or skeezy about this. Just people who see the world in the same way and enjoy each other's company. Be grateful for encountering someone who just might become a good friend, if he truly is a kindred spirit.

Now, the dark side: there are some people who are "chameleons", who automatically reflect the characteristics of those around them and whose own selves can remain deeply guarded. Most of these people are harmless and have issues of their own which make them fear self-relevation. A few are not harmless, and use their chameleon-like qualities for selfish, sometimes very hurtful, purposes. People with borderline personality disorder often demonstrate this characteristic, and BPD is a bear to suffer either personally or at second-hand. Sociopaths are even more likely to be chameleons.

So meet your new acquaintance in a place where others are around, where you can excuse yourself and leave his company quickly if you need to, until you know him better. I do hope he turns out to be a great guy, a kindred spirit, and a good friend.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
I have two friends like this. I can be funny. So can they. However, when I get with him or her, it multiplies 1000%. It's not us that thinks this - others have said they run for the popcorn whenever we get together.

I have another friend that is creative on her own - and so am I - but again, when we get together the ideas come so fast, it is difficult to keep up. Creativity sparks creativity. I just assume humor does the same when it's on the same wavelength. "Funny" is creative thinking, so it makes sense.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:52 AM

732 posts, read 969,071 times
Congratulations on finding such a friend. For some reason a lot of people these days are severely critical of everything, including humor, and thus not fun to be around, so I think you two found gems in each other.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:04 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,024 times
Haha we have already hung out many times and I've met his friends and roommates too. They're also pretty cool and funny but I don't have the same chemistry with them. I guess some people just get along better with each other, can't really help that. He's almost on the level with my brothers.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:05 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,059,726 times
We (my husband and I) have a group of friends (all couples) who we recently started hanging out with again. Well, I guess for the last year & a half or so. There is really only 1 couple in the group that I feel we are really close with. Everyone else just seems to be in their own little world, talking on & on & on, and god forbid you try to join the conversation...there are times they make me feel like I am boring. The couple we are close with live closer and we hang out together on a regular basis. They make me feel great...we make each other laugh so much and they make me feel significant. So yeah, I get it...it's been a while since I've been able to find a friend like that.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:26 PM

20 posts, read 17,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
similar sense of humour.
Or flirting
or drunk :d

sounds like a good friendship
:d:d:d:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships