Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 07:32 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Well, first of all, you shouldn't be yacking on your cell phone in a public place because nobody wants to listen to it.
But it would take blatant rudeness by the server to cause me to not tip, not something beyond their control, like slowness from the kitchen.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
1. Not refiling my glass. I will set the cup practically on the edge of the table so that you can see it. If I have to ask for a refill more than once, the tip goes down dramatically.

2. I had a waitress not bring us silverware! She bought the food out (and it took forever, I might add), then we had to sit and watch our food get cold while she went to get silverware.

3. Rude service in general.
Arghhhh.....no silverware. A HUGE pet peeve. But if my food comes and there is no silverware after I've asked for it, I march into the kitchen or serving area and get it myself.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:12 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
Seconds count in service. It's a little thing you don't seem to have **RESPECT** for people's time. It's called being **CONSIDERATE** of people's time, hunger, and thirst.
No, seconds don't count. It's a glass of water, not brain surgery. And your expectations are completely out of whack if you think this is true - which is clearly the case based on what I've read of your posts. I also pity the servers whom you seem to mistake for your personal servants and food tasters.

And shame on anyone who goes out to eat looking for an excuse to not tip. Whether you like it or not, tipping is calculated as part of the cost of dining out with table service. If you don't like it, find places that have alternate compensation methods for their servers. And write letter to the editor of your local paper encouraging more establishments to do that. But don't think you are so special that you are entitled to have someone bust their butt for you for $2.13 per hour. And yes, employers are supposed to make up the difference between that and minimum wage, but talk to anyone who works in the industry and see how that works in reality.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I've never not tipped. I have left a restaurant for poor service before the food arrived, but if I stay and eat, I tip the server.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No, seconds don't count. It's a glass of water, not brain surgery. And your expectations are completely out of whack if you think this is true - which is clearly the case based on what I've read of your posts. I also pity the servers whom you seem to mistake for your personal servants and food tasters.

And shame on anyone who goes out to eat looking for an excuse to not tip. Whether you like it or not, tipping is calculated as part of the cost of dining out with table service. If you don't like it, find places that have alternate compensation methods for their servers. And write letter to the editor of your local paper encouraging more establishments to do that. But don't think you are so special that you are entitled to have someone bust their butt for you for $2.13 per hour. And yes, employers are supposed to make up the difference between that and minimum wage, but talk to anyone who works in the industry and see how that works in reality.
None of this is in any way my problem.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:12 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Springs: Because you have some weird OCD obsession with SECONDS and some bizarre competition that your food MUST go in before the guy who came in 10 seconds after you....why?? Why do seconds count so much?. Most people don't go into restaurants racing the clock and other patrons, if we are in that much hurry we go to a drive through. It is ridiculous to penalized a waiter for asking if you're enjoying your vacation before he takes your order. You don't seem to understand the rest of us consider dining a relaxing time, we're not in a rush, especially on a vacation. Are you waiting to eat too long? Your attitude is highly bizarre, just saying.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:31 AM

917 posts, read 1,384,364 times
A few years back me and my friend were at Chili’s. It wasn’t busy and our table was by the bar. Our waitress took forever to get our drink order.. even longer to get our food order. But the guys who were right by us? She was making sure they got everything right away. She would spend most of her time there chatting with them. Our food was kinda cold when we got it. We ate it but didn’t leave her a tip. After we got our food she never came to see if everything was ok or if we needed refills on our drinks.. But she stood there with those guys just chatting away.. She didn’t earn her tip so hopefully those guys she was busy flirting with tipped her enough to cover what she could’ve gotten from us.

I usually have a starting point depending where I go ( ex: $5.00) you can go up or down from there…

Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I went to IHOP last night and the service was prompt and excellent. I tipped about 35%.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:07 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
. I went to the second establishment to grab a quick beer and was in the bar area on my cell phone, and the server told me to "keep it quiet." I don't think I was excessively loud and wasn't cursing, being rude, etc. I thought he was very rude and left without tipping. I can't remember the last time I was so irritated at the service that I didn't tip.

What makes you want to not tip?
Maybe you were louder than you realized and you were actually the one being rude.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:19 PM

140 posts, read 168,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
Yes IT IS. Did you read my story of the Mardi Gras example? I will post it again:

"4. Your server delays coming to get your order or delays you ordering due to personal conversation. We have had that before as well. Once, we had a waiter that we didn’t know after waiting 15 mins. for a table on Mardi Gras day ask us BEFORE we ORDERED ANYTHING “How’s y’all’s Mardi Gras” “Go to any parades.” See, I don’t mind chit chat with a stranger, but be considerate to do it AFTER we have our orders into the computer so you don’t take up our time."

I am not confusing ANYTHING. WHY you think there are SOOO MANY SERVERS on the internet complaining about when the servers ask how they are doing, they say "diet coke" rather than answering? Because PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED IN *******ORDERING****************, NOT CHIT CHATTING WITH THEIR SERVER AT THAT MOMENT. I like chit chatting with my servers that are GOOD to us, which you don't know that until they serve you at least once or at least until they get your order into the computer.

You act like seconds don't mean anything. One server at one computer can press the order in 1 second before another server at another computer beating that order into the kitchen by a mere SECOND. SECONDS COUNT. Are you really this dense?

Did you read my Red Lobster story as well, here it is again, which that is mere 5-10 SECONDS difference of cutting that got the waitress almost a stiff for cutting:

"1. Once, we had a Red Lobster waitress had our 2 entrées on the tray as well as 2 side salads that were for a couple that wasn’t even there when we ordered. Anyway, instead of bypassing their table to hand us ours first since WE DID ORDER FIRST(common sense would tell you that it takes more time to cook food than it does to fix a side salad anyways even if it wasn’t our server that delivered our food, but it was our waitress that delivered our food), she decided to hand them theirs first off the tray. THAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS IN THE SERVER’S CONTROL TO HAND OUT THINGS OFF THE SAME TRAY IN THE ORDER IN WHICH IT WAS ORDERED IN!!"

Seconds count in service. It's a little thing you don't seem to have **RESPECT** for people's time. It's called being **CONSIDERATE** of people's time, hunger, and thirst.

OK well first of all calm down and take a deep breath.

You said why would you greet your server when you haven't eaten all day at another post.... Practice better, healthier eating habits and don't abuse your server with your stinky breath and messed up blood pressure lol...

Just like somebody else said , if you are in a hurry and almost about to pass out from hunger, drive thrus or subways are your best bet.

I don't think any server can make someone like you happy no matter where you go... You seem like you had a rough childhood...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships