Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:59 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There are people I am friends with on Facebook who just can't seem to grow up. There are two in particular who stand out - both graduated high school in 2003, and are just now getting around to going to college, majoring in "soft" fields. One is living out of her car, and bouncing around from place to place as she can. The guy is more concerned with playing music and going to shows than getting on things on the road.

Do you know people who absolutely cannot grow up? What do you think of it?
I just don't associate with people like that. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 11:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
There are people I am friends with on Facebook who just can't seem to grow up. There are two in particular who stand out - both graduated high school in 2003, and are just now getting around to going to college, majoring in "soft" fields. One is living out of her car, and bouncing around from place to place as she can. The guy is more concerned with playing music and going to shows than getting on things on the road.

You should deactivate your facebook account and let others tend to their lives and make their own decisions and keep your opinions to yourself.

No matter what you think people should do, what they actually do is none of your concern.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:53 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,206 times
Exactly. If they are not asking you for money or wanting to live with you then why is there a problem with how they are living?

Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
There are people I am friends with on Facebook who just can't seem to grow up. There are two in particular who stand out - both graduated high school in 2003, and are just now getting around to going to college, majoring in "soft" fields. Lots of people never GET AROUND to going to college at all. One is living out of her car, and bouncing around from place to place as she can. sounds like something bad happened to her or she is a loser. The guy is more concerned with playing music and going to shows than getting on things on the road. Don't really understand that one.

If I don't agree with their life(style), I would end the friendship.

My bf can't grow up, he is like 12 sometimes but I think it is awesome. He does funny things like a kid but has his finances in order and his job. I would not associate with people who have no goals in life and mooch off me or the government or just constantly drain my battery.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:56 AM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:

I think they are lazy and immature and I tend to hold them in a bit of contempt. (Hey, you asked my opinion, right?) My view on this can be summed up in the Bible passage of 1 Corinthians 13:11 -- "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me."

Back in World War II, men who are the same age as your Facebook friends were in command of major warships, or led platoons of soldiers in combat against the enemy. I can only imagine what men such as they would think of your "man-child" friends.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
One person like this bothers me. She is in her 40's, married with kids and her parents pay all of their bills including rent, utilities, food, private school for the kids (she hates public school) and she is very self righteous on many issues. The family is on Medicaid and they get food stamps. It makes me crazy to hear her when she is on one her self righteous kicks. I mostly avoid and distance myself from this person.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Let's examine the phrase 'grow up'.

If you use it to define someone of adult age who is either pursuing an education or is able to pay his own way in life, then sure.

If you are using it to critique someone who isn't following the path you would, then you're the one who needs to grow up. I get my hint from your use of the term "soft" major. Plenty of people make excellent livings with degrees outside the STEM curriculum. And plenty of people hit their strides in their late 20s after having a little fun and some perspective on their lives.

I've noticed that you devote a lot of energy worrying about what others do.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,533 times
My definition of not growing up is based on how they behave with others. If they are bullying others or being insensitive or overly emotional towards people then they are immature even if they are successful professionals in their fields. Someone can have very low expectations from their career & that's fine. For them money is not everything & they seek their happiness some place else like their family, religion, helping others, etc. They might be struggling to find their true talent & going through a phase. People who gave up their wealth & family to live an adventurous life are not immature. They have out-grown the mundane things in life & want to experience something new. Some of the saints lived like poor vagabonds but you can find a lot of wisdom in their words. I ran into a friend of mine who was a school topper but she didn't go to college & decided to get married & raise a family instead. It was shocking to me but seeing her so happy with her kids made me change my mind. She might not be rich or successful as her other friends but she was happy & didn't seem to regret her decision at all. Having a family meant everything to her as she came from a broken home & craved to have a normal life. Her parents were rich & career-minded but divorced & unhappy. She must have blamed their professional lives for her miseries & decided to be a stay at home mom. Its not our place to judge people's maturity by their choice of lifestyle.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:21 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:

Doesn't matter what I think of it -- they are not my concern, and how they choose to live their life has no effect on mine.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,400,016 times
How dare someone not go to college or want to go see shows!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships