Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:41 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times

Advertisements

What do you think of people who don't say "hi" or anything back when you greet them?

I just moved into a brand new apartment building where there are not a lot of tenants yet, and while most people have been friendly, there's a few neighbors that when I see them and say hello, they just look stone cold, avoiding eye contact, and never greet me back. Some even stare at me like rapists/murders, and I tried to break that creepiness by saying hi, but nope, nada. It's practically each time, so now I just don't say anything to them, and it creates such an unfriendly environment because I see these people every week.

Also, some people at work are like that. I say hi and good morning to them, but they just
go on their own way and don't greet back. I find it rude and very unfriendly, but hey, I shouldn't be surprised. There seems to be more bad than good out there these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 07:58 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
I try to be understanding and not take it personally. I try to think okay, maybe that person has major depression or a personality disorder that makes them unresponsive. But overall I find it irritating--I mean, how much energy does it take to say a single syllable back? It's not like you're asking them to be your BFF.

I give them one chance and then I don't waste my "Hi!" on them any more.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:28 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,562 times
Sure, it happens...I just shrug it off. I figure they are either rude, or perhaps there is more to it. You never know if they are going through something bad and are perhaps too distracted to even notice you. It's not worth it to obsess over it.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:30 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I try to be understanding and not take it personally. I try to think okay, maybe that person has major depression or a personality disorder that makes them unresponsive. But overall I find it irritating--I mean, how much energy does it take to say a single syllable back? It's not like you're asking them to be your BFF.

I feel the same way. I work at a small college in a small city in a predominantly rural area, and the faculty and staff at the college form an even tighter community within the larger one. Saying "hi" or waving to your neighbors or acquaintances is just what people around here do, only more so around the college because we mostly all know one another.

There's one woman who works in my unit, though, who doesn't speak to anyone any more. I'm guessing it's something psychological because she was pretty normal when she was first hired (or seemed that way?). Over the years, she just started shutting people out and not talking to them, which was very hurtful to many people, me included, who couldn't figure out what they had "done" to her. I think most people have figured out by now that it's her and not them.

She walks down the hall and looks right through people. She never says "hi" to anyone. She never ever participates in special events like retirement celebrations, lunches out, football pools, etc. I don't think she's had a single social conversation with anybody in our department (all 6 of us) in probably 5 years. It's her life, though, and if she chooses to wall herself off from society -- or allow her psychological issues to rule her to that extent -- there's really nothing anybody can do to about it.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:20 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
What do you think of people who don't say "hi" or anything back when you greet them?

I just moved into a brand new apartment building where there are not a lot of tenants yet, and while most people have been friendly, there's a few neighbors that when I see them and say hello, they just look stone cold, avoiding eye contact, and never greet me back. Some even stare at me like rapists/murders, and I tried to break that creepiness by saying hi, but nope, nada. It's practically each time, so now I just don't say anything to them, and it creates such an unfriendly environment because I see these people every week.

Also, some people at work are like that. I say hi and good morning to them, but they just
go on their own way and don't greet back. I find it rude and very unfriendly, but hey, I shouldn't be surprised. There seems to be more bad than good out there these days.
Blow it off, and move on. It is almost a guarantee it has nothing to do with you, and if it is... what is your fretting over it going to change?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post

You're too nice.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Blow it off, and move on. It is almost a guarantee it has nothing to do with you, and if it is... what is your fretting over it going to change?
Well, hello to you too.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:38 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
OMG I'm soooo guilty of this!

Many times I'll say hi back but sometimes my voice is probably too low to hear or it gets mumbled. Sometimes I just don't react quick enough...

I'm incredibly introverted and sometimes that takes over and I just hope no one thinks I'm trying to be rude. Based on the responses here, I can see that is exactly what people think.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
I tend to smile, and that means hi in my book. I'm not the most vocal person, I cannot even say good morning. Like ever. And if I MUST utter it, it feels SOOO unnatural. But yeah I know I'm weird that way.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM

I'm introverted too, but I will say and smile back to people. This just bothers me more today because one of those neighbors left me a passive-aggressive note on my garage stall this morning. I think if people were more friendly to begin with (like a hello, welcome to the neighborhood), they wouldn't have to be so passive-aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships