Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:34 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

She did blow you off and I'm guilty of doing the same thing once in a similar situation.

Don't tell people you want to take them to church with you, or talk about your faith to them. If she asks you about it then you can have a discussion, but if she doesn't just don't bring it up. It's really one of the most uncomfortable topics for me to talk about with people I only know casually because I'm an atheist, but I also go out of my way to not make people feel uncomfortable. I'm always polite if someone brings up their faith but they often they interpret that as me being interested when it's really me being a decent person and doing my best to not shout "YOU FOOL!!" and causing a scene. Like you, many people don't pick up the hints (not so subtle IMO) or are willfully blind to them.

It's a horrible position to put people in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:15 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
Oh!!! I'm sorry. When my wife and I first read the title of this thread we thought it was about "foolin around" in the workplace. If it really is, the answer is, 'no way'.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:21 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
just to clarify the situation, I told her that I was going to bring her to church and she laughed it off but I told her that I am not joking .I brought it up few times during the week and I asked her if its okay for me to call on Saturday so we can finalize the plans and she nodded her head and said sure.Why didn't she just decline my invitation if she wasn't intrested?
Leave her alone. Church is not for everyone. And if she wants to be angry with someone, let her work that out. Anger is not always a bad thing. Do you even know what her father did to her? Some things cannot be forgiven.

If you think that way, you are living in la-la land.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:36 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
just to clarify the situation, I told her that I was going to bring her to church and she laughed it off but I told her that I am not joking .I brought it up few times during the week and I asked her if its okay for me to call on Saturday so we can finalize the plans and she nodded her head and said sure.Why didn't she just decline my invitation if she wasn't intrested?
Stop.

You are going to lose your friend if you don't stop.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:05 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
First, you TOLD her? You did not ASK her? Yikes. I'd inwardly cringe, too. Nobody TELLS me to do anything, outside of my boss sometimes with work duties.

She did decline. She laughed it off. That's declining.

However, you kept pounding the point, so she finally gave up and decided she would ignore you from that point on.

Do NOT mix work and religion. Or work and romance.

So let it go.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Because you pushed and pushed and pushed. You didn't take no for an answer. Really you cannot be mad at her. Someone says no, it means no.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,510 times
OP:

Pushy controlling people irritate me.

Telling someone that you are going to take them to church is being pushy and controlling.

Asking them if they would like to go to church is not.

There is a difference.

Being willful irritates me.

Stop acting like this.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 AM

709 posts, read 766,436 times
Quote:
She said it was ok for you to call. She didn't say she was going to answer the phone.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:55 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:

Because you sound like a nutty religious stalker, and she doesn't want to deal with this kind of crap at work, much less on her days off. Leave her alone.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:02 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
I have to admit, if someone TOLD me that they are GOING TO BRING ME TO CHURCH, my back would go up in a nano-second. Really? Why do you think I need to be dragged to church?

She sounds as if she is goodnatured, and just didn't know how to tell you "no, thanks," and didn't want to be "rude", but also anticipating that you would then begin a campaign of "Well, why not? You need this . . . " blah, blah, blah. Especially since you kept bringing it up several times during the week. Way, way too intense, my friend. You probably scared her to death.

Consider yourself "told" that she doesn't want to go to church with you. End of discussion. Sometimes actions speak louder than words. Your friendship is at work -- keep it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships