Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:44 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times

Advertisements

I'm very much an introvert and have very few friends, if any. Really don't have anyone to talk to.
Life is lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I think everyone has a few friends, if you're lucky, and the rest are acquaintances. How many of your friends would give you a kidney, or adopt your children, or take you in if your house burned down? Not many, I bet.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:33 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,780 times
I have one friend: my wife. I have lots of acquaintances. I would appreciate a good man friend. I have shared my thoughts, in confidence, with men. They go on to share my thoughts with someone else. Yes, men are just as guilty of the behaviors that I hear women ascribe to women.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:37 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I'm an introvert. Here's the thing about being introverted: Because we enjoy our own company, we sometimes unwittingly give the impression that we don't need other people. I didn't realize this until someone got annoyed with me and said, "Why don't you ever let anyone help you?"

So I very carefully and very cautiously make a point of asking acquaintances for small favors. Most people want to be helpful. I don't really need to get restaurant recommendations -- I've got the web to consult -- but I ask peoples' opinions. Or ask what type of carpet I should buy for the house I'm remodeling.

You won't strike up lasting friendships with everyone but occasionally a spark catches fire and you gain a new friend.
This is very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:19 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
Me but I think that will change next year when I goto uni. Mainly just because i'm on a gap year so not really seeing people from my age, I was in a pretty nasty year group anyway.

From my experience the adults who still have lots of friends are the clique kind.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
There's a lot I could say on this topic....I have a couple of good friends who live far away and locally there is no one to share a meal with or a cup of tea or a conversation. I used to feel lonely but have learned to enjoy my own company. I used to think that folks didn't like me or that there was something wrong with me but now I know I AM fine as I am. I am a unique individual who is very creative and fun and upful. I do good things whenever I can. I care I love and would be very happy to someday meet someone who says "I like how you think"...but it hasn't happened yet and I am not holding my breath. I don't care anymore what others think. It is how I feel that counts and if thinking about others makes me feel bad then I don't think about others. I miss having a social life...as I once did but those people weren't really friends or they would still be in my life. Older and wiser. Alone in the forest with trees. A place where I feel at home and the tall standing ones are my best friends. I can talk to them and they listen. They are strong and tall and magnificent. They inspire me to be a better me...and that is what I call a true friend...one who inspires me to be me.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:37 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Yeah, I would say that I have more acquaintances than friends these days. I think this may especially be typical as you get older.

One of the many reasons for this is that I refuse to let myself be taken advantage of, talked down to, and/or criticized by so called "friends". I am also extremely opinionated, as those who have read some of my posts can probably tell - this definitely turns some people off, but I could care less.

What's especially interesting to me is that most of the threads on this "Non-Romantic Relationships" forum are people complaining about being criticized, used, and/or otherwise being taken advantage of by their so-called "friends". There are also a lot of threads where people are asking advice on how to break things off and/or distance themselves from their so-called "friends".

I read some of these posts and am reminded of the old adage, "With friends like these, who needs enemies?"

Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
No real friends or acquaintances these days. The post college years can be difficult for that because everyone begins moving around the country for work, and once they arrive they settle down and form new relationships. I have enough hobbies and interests where I don't necessarily need other people to entertain me.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:32 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Have several very good friends: they accept me for who I am; are never judgmental; are never self-serving; and that goes both ways. We are there for each other, rain or shine.

Lonely without a boat load of friends? Never! The worse kind of feeling alone is feeling alone when you're with the wrong people.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:31 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

Lonely without a boat load of friends? Never! The worse kind of feeling alone is feeling alone when you're with the wrong people.
Absolutely!!! Finding the right pack to fit in may take time and at the end when you do, it's worth it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships