Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I meant it for the "millenials", not the OP.
The OP made the thread and he is not a millennial. Are some of you really that desperate to dump on millennials? Pretty sad and pathetic to have that much animosity for a group of people. You guys need to let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
The OP made the thread and he is not a millennial. Are some of you really that desperate to dump on millennials? Pretty sad and pathetic to have that much animosity for a group of people. You guys need to let it go.

Not going to dignify that with an explanation. Draw your own conclusion.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:08 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I am 41 and listen to rap and heavy metal all the time. In my minivan. I have a tattoo and have been pierced. I am fluent in Valley Girl and do a mean impression of Lumpy Space Princess.

I don't think the old people care as much as you think.
Similar with me. I'm 41 and enjoy a little youth culture and poking fun at it. Keeps me young and is just in my personality to have fun without making fun because you know...it's EPIC!

I thought of some other stuff:

How’s ‘bout texting while I talk to you? Or just checking something on the mobile phone while we are interacting.

Also, sleeping until noon is a good one. Oh, and watching age inappropriate television content (e.g. SpongeBob). And saying hashtag (when did the pound sign become "hashtag" anyway?).

Personally, I enjoy turning it around and asking teens ridiculous questions about technology:

What is my Username or What is my password?
I only received 3 emails today, do I have a virus?
Why is the my Phone Internet so slow?
Calling the Internet Google, as in “What’s the Google address for Joe’s Pizza?”
A highly recommended conversation:
Me: My phone does not have the letter M
Teen: It’s right next to the N!
Me: I don’t think I have an N either
Me: Why are the letters not in the right order?

Old 04-30-2015, 09:56 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
When I was an adolescent nothing was too complicated in terms of irritating your parents and making people of their generation - and beyond - shake their heads and sigh. "Get a haircut, young man! You look like a girl!" "You're going to school dressed like that?!" "TURN THAT MUSIC DOWN!!! Not that it should be called music..."

I suspect that for people in high school the last two universal quotes from parents are still uttered all the time. Where music is concerned, that's why hiphop stays popular despite years of hopeful predictions that it's fading away. Misogyny, murder, and "M-F" shouted all through the "rhymes" definitely hits ALL Mom & Dad's buttons. Plus it was invented and largely contributed to by BLACK PEOPLE. (Speaking of which, I'm addressing guys specifically now, it never fails to get an easy rise out of your folks if you and all your friends are anything besides African-American BUT you affectionately call each other by the N-word [ending in "a" instead of "er."] "Bro" is a cool term and so is "bud" - in the latter case, not only because of the dual if not triple connotations. "Dude"? It's a perennial classic. Your father and his friends used it on one another, so did your mom when talking to a guy. Zero shock value.

Here's a more tried-and-true way to get on "old" (aged over about, say, 35) people's nerves by just using your mouth. Butcher the language with Bloated Sentence English, BS English for short. Throw the word "like" into every sentence, preferably more than once, when it doesn't add anything or belong. Needlessly include adjectives and adverbs such as "totally" and "literally" (the two most chronically abused.) End each sentence as though it's a question. This is guaranteed to aggravate a lot more persons than just teachers. Be sure to incorporate meaningless entire phrases or sentences into your conversational chatter, too: "I know, right?" "Know what I'm sayin'?" "There's that, and/but..." "Right, right." "For real, though." "Just sayin'." What's that? You already do this? I'm shocked, I'm telling you. Shocked!

Your parents and elders will surely blow a gasket if you get gauges in your ears, the bigger the better. Dad might secretly think it's great that you got a Godzilla tattoo all over your back, as well as the entire bodies of fire-breathing dragons all up and down both arms. But Mom is sure to freak out. Even better than "body art" is letters from another alphabet, Chinese being the most popular, when you don't know what the symbols mean but you think the characters look sick-in-a-good-way. The same goes for "tribal" markings.
Piercings are perfect drama starters, not so much if you have them in your ear lobes (even as many as a dozen.) Through the septum - your "nose divider" - or lip or tongue or nipple(s) or navel or "private area"? Let the screaming quarrels begin.
What's that? You already do both? I'm shocked, I'm telling you. Shocked!

BS English...tattoos...piercings...what else is perpetrated not only to conform to peers but also to shock and irritate thos
e born well ahead of you? Fess up. No one's going to call the Traitor To Your Generation cops.
LOL, as the parent of former teenagers, I must offer my own observation that these kids don't do all these things to deliberately annoy their elders, they're much too self- centered and obsessed with fitting in and approval from their peers to even be thinking of parents or other elders. At this point if you happen onto these kids' radar as an "elder", ie an authority figure, they will just be annoyed at your existence, and probably highly embarrassed because after all, you as a parent had to be put on this earth to embarrass them, you're the dumbest being that ever walked Planet Earth. Useless unless, of course, they want money or transportation anywhere.

The good news is that most of them do grow up and become decent himan beings.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:20 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
LOL I am in my 40s too and I've noticed and been annoyed by the loud music at red lights (when it actually makes the other cars shake and the person has their window rolled down) and also when people keep checking their phones during a conversation. The absolute most annoying thing to me is the people that text and drive. They usually cannot stay in their own lane and tend to go 30 miles below the speed limit causing all the other drivers to go insane trying to get around them.

The thing is that more often than not the people doing this are close to my age or just a bit younger or older. I haven't really noticed anything that annoys me that is specific to Millenials.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:11 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
I'm not Millennial (missed it by a couple of years), but that generation seems to be masters of passive-aggressive behavior. They're less confrontational than Gen-X and older, and say a lot of words while communicating something else.

Maybe because they were raised in a zero-tolerance, anti-bullying era in public school, their generation learned to pick on people with word choice and body language, which is harder for faculty and parents to detect and punish. Just guessing.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
And confusing a text with an email is fun too. Ask the teen about an email that you had and that is now missing and swear up and down that you had it. Make sure to have plenty of subfolders and they'll spend tons of time searching though all of them and through the deleted and sent items and all that. Then, when they are ready to give up, say something like "man, I could have sworn that I got a text from that person". The teen's eyes will get big as dinner plates and they'll ask if it was a text or an email and you say that you didn't realize there was a difference.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:27 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yeah, kid, do that, get gauges, ink your entire body, mark yourself up, pierce everything that hangs. It will pretty much guarantee you won't get a job outside of a tattoo parlor.

Someone who purposely does something to annoy somneone he or she doesn't know just for ****s and giggles really needs to get a life, or a hobby, or both. (SMH)

WTH ever happened to "respect your elders?"
Or BETTER yet..RESPECT yourself.....

Old 04-30-2015, 12:52 PM

496 posts, read 396,020 times
Your post made me laugh. I must say that sometimes teens who are trying to irritate or aggravate have the tables turned on them.

When my son was seventeen he and his gf showed up on my doorstep looking like clowns. Her hair was died a bright raspberry, his was green, they both had piercings everywhere I could see, and I'm certain many places that I thankfully couldn't see. They both had on clothes that was a mash of goth/clown (at least to my eyes). When I opened the door I started to laugh, I was laughing so hard that I had to excuse myself. I headed up the stairs with tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks. I think it took half an hour or more to stop laughing, Everytime I thought I had myself under control I would see them in my mind again and the laughter just kept bubbling up. I really felt bad afterwards. I am sure they were expecting me to be shocked but they were the ones that got the shock.

A word to the wise, young people. You have never been where we are (oldsters) but we have been where you are. There is truly nothing new under the sun so be prepared to possibly have the tables turned on you. After all you get to suffer the consequences of youth and we get to laugh at you because we've been there done that!

Old 04-30-2015, 04:09 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I'm sure my parents thought my brief foray into metal when I was a teenager was to explicitly annoy them. My parents were Deadheads through their late teens and twenties so they don't have much to complain about in that regard!

I will admit, I did enjoy telling my mom I got a nose piercing a little *too* much, but it came out before I got my first job as was always the plan. Lo and behold, several of my chemo nurses had nose piercings when I was diagnosed with cancer a few months later. Now I've been thinking about getting it repierced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships