Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:48 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Whatever happened to just naming your son Bob, Steve or Mike?
Amen to that. As George Carlin once said "some people are really [bleeping] stupid," that's the explanation frankly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
{snip}

There's NOTHING you can do about ANYTHING or ANYONE EXCEPT prattle on aimlessly on the internet...the sun doesn't rise or set in your backyard, so please find the person who gave you that misinformation and ask them why they lied No parent in America has to answer to you so you can have smooth sailing through your monochromatic vision of life
Actually, I once WAS able to do something about it, to that freak who insisted on putting his NICKNAME on his timesheet and so I printed his paycheck that way and then he couldn't cash it. I suppose I'm being petty, but I actually took PLEASURE in that such happened to him, it served him right.

Wanting to name your child something other than "Jane Doe" to have a little spice of life, OK, but when you start going out of way to make up weird or unusually spelled names just to be a show-off, that's beyond being "creative" and it's being a pain in the rear to other people just for the sake of narcissism. Try dealing with these names in any sort of official capacity and THEN get back to me about how parents ought to be able to willy-nilly with this all the heck they care to do so. As long as other people have to deal with these names, they're going to have an opinion about it and they're going to express that opinion, in City Data among other places (within acceptable parameters). It's called having a dialogue.

Last edited by shyguylh; 02-18-2017 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 08:49 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Amen to that. As George Carlin once said "some people are really [bleeping] stupid," that's the explanation frankly.

Actually, I once WAS able to do something about it, to that freak who insisted on putting his NICKNAME on his timesheet and so I printed his paycheck that way and then he couldn't cash it. I suppose I'm being petty, but I actually took PLEASURE in that such happened to him, it served him right.

Wanting to name your child something other than "Jane Doe" to have a little spice of life, OK, but when you start going out of way to make up weird or unusually spelled names just to be a show-off, that's beyond being "creative" and it's being a pain in the rear to other people just for the sake of narcissism. Try dealing with these names in any sort of official capacity and THEN get back to me about how parents ought to be able to willy-nilly with this all the heck they care to do so. As long as other people have to deal with these names, they're going to have an opinion about it and they're going to express that opinion, in City Data among other places (within acceptable parameters). It's called having a dialogue.
[quote=shyguylh;47238830]Saying it doesn't make it so. It's no big deal. People who make a big deal over showing a card are being idiots.[/QUOTE

Old 02-21-2017, 10:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned resopnse

Anakin isn't that bad at all, probably the only time the (nick)name "Ani" would ever suit a guy.
The nickname was my concern when my youngest son - now 45 - and his wife decided to name their first born Anakin with a normal middle name. Now, quite a few years later that's just who he is and his name is certainly not an issue.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:11 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The nickname was my concern when my youngest son - now 45 - and his wife decided to name their first born Anakin with a normal middle name..
Is it Luke?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:35 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,335,299 times
Why must parents give girls silly spellings of their names, usually throwing in a bunch of y's instead of i's. It just makes it so the girl and later woman has to constantly spell her name throughout her whole life. It also doesn't look very professional to have a name with a goofy spelling.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:32 PM

287 posts, read 237,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

How would you like it if you filed records in an office and someone decided to be "creative".

Aww, don't worry, you won't have to 'deal' with people who have the audacity to think they can name their own children for much longer as low skilled jobs like yours are quickly being replaced by technology.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:02 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Why must parents give girls silly spellings of their names, usually throwing in a bunch of y's instead of i's. It just makes it so the girl and later woman has to constantly spell her name throughout her whole life. It also doesn't look very professional to have a name with a goofy spelling.
Exactly. They do so to be "unique" and for narcissism purposes, and it creates headaches for the other people who have to deal with them and it shouldn't be necessary to do so.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:12 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,841 times
Quote:
This is a pet peeve of mine. I know two women I work with who go by their first initial and middle name versus their given name due to this exact issue. One is a friend and has considered changing her first name legally. She doesn't like the way the initial middle name thing looks either - she worries that people might perceive her as pretentious.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:15 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:

who cares about looking professional, (it isnt about a corporate job all the time),

but it does make the parents look stupid for a crazy spelling, i agree

Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
The spelling of one's name has nothing to do with how odd some think it is.
I have a common first name and the first initial of my common first name is almost always started with the wrong letter by most I have to tell my name to.
So I have been properly spelling my common first name for most of my 56 years of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships