Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 03:27 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

Just saw a sad story in the newspaper of a girl I dated back my junior year of high school - arrested for disorderly conduct. A lot of drug addiction, attendant health problems, more medical issues, legal issues, poverty, etc. It's sad because she could have done so much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 03:53 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Some people are just naturally low class. I avoid them.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,565 times
Perhaps they look at you and wonder the same thing. It's best to clean your own doorstep before you start on someone
else's. Your perception of how their life turned out could be 100% different than what it appears to be to those on the inside. Learn to let it go - you will feel better.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
As we get older, it's easy to look back and assess what could have and should have been, against what the situation is now. We run across friends and acquaintances from long ago and judge them, at least implicitly. I've run across various people lately I either grew up, went to college with, or was in a relationship with, and it's sad how many never did much with the potential they had. Dreams were abandoned, hopes were crushed, and people are just settling for less.

Do you ever want to tell them to snap out of it, to get back in the saddle and go after it? How do you feel about situations like this?
Its none of my business, frankly. I have enough to do with my own life and family without adding a bunch of stuff to take up space in my head about the lost potential of former friends.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:42 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
Quote:
As we get older, it's easy to look back and assess what could have and should have been, against what the situation is now. We run across friends and acquaintances from long ago and judge them, at least implicitly. I've run across various people lately I either grew up, went to college with, or was in a relationship with, and it's sad how many never did much with the potential they had. Dreams were abandoned, hopes were crushed, and people are just settling for less.

Do you ever want to tell them to snap out of it, to get back in the saddle and go after it? How do you feel about situations like this?
Don't think I do that or that I even would do that. I only wish them well.

Now I might assess what I should have been.

So I just don't get where you are coming from on this one.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:44 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
Quote:
Just saw a sad story in the newspaper of a girl I dated back my junior year of high school - arrested for disorderly conduct. A lot of drug addiction, attendant health problems, more medical issues, legal issues, poverty, etc. It's sad because she could have done so much more.
there but by the Grace of God go us all

Old 05-12-2015, 05:19 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,468 times
Sad, I think about it all the time, ask myself how can I contribute to this world, better my own life and help others. I'm not even 30, but I don't want to have the question of "What could have been" hanging heavy on my shoulders when I am 80.

I believe we should all take risks and chances and give things I try. If they don't work out, then no problem. Better to try and fail then to never try.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:26 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,589 times
Life is short, and if a person is happy, that is all that really matters. Being a doctor, a lawyer, a high-powered businessman, or a politician is stressful. Some people just want to live and savor their life and family along the way. Maybe their potential is to make the lives of their families better. What is more important than that?

Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
It's their business.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:

I think it's just sad! I recognize people all the time don't know their own personal power and what they possess to change the world. They let their insecurities and fears get the better of them. I just think wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships