Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 2,531 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is innate or taught to many guys.

I've been wondering ever since I had this conversation with my younger 13 year-old brother (while I'm nearly 17). As of now, I'm currently the taller(5'11 while he's only at 5'5), stronger, heavier and have been in self-defense classes for the longest.

Anyway this was after we were watching a movie several weeks ago or so. Though my brother knows I would be focusing on getting him to safety if on a lifeboat, only 1 person could fit in....according to him, he would refuse to get on the lifeboat and instead put me there. He also said it himself that if there was some upcoming avalanche from far, he would be pushing me aside while putting himself in front of it and dying. He ended with saying he wouldn't let me do it.

Basically for him, he wouldn't be ok with moving on in life and living with the memory of his dead sister. I don't think anyone taught him this but I'm kind of curious that if it's not just strength only as the sole reason, where does this comes from...to put the girl (esp if she's his sister, gf or someone else he cares about) to safety in such a terrible crisis while he either gets injured badly or dies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:23 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,050 times
What an interesting and thoughtful question.

I believe it's innate. I'm sure fathers teach their son this...but mostly, at least the men I've known, seem to have a desire or need to protect women. Admittedly, I'm speaking of my father, brother, husband, male cousins (mostly family) and some male friends. I can't speak to all men...not even close.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
It's really tough to say what's "innate" to "many" guys. How would you even test for this? I agree that many guys do feel protective in that way, but whether it's learned or inborn is not clear. Remember when that guy in Colorado shot up a theater? Obviously he had no protective feelings toward women and children, and there was the guy in the audience with his girlfriend (and baby, I think, or maybe she was pregnant?) who just fled the scene and left her there while he ran all the way home.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:11 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I don't think it's any more innate for men, than it is for mothers who would willingly die to save their child. I think men form that sense of responsibility either by having it instilled by a man they respect, or through the media. The word "hero" is thrown around more than warranted these days, but who wouldn't want to see it attached to their name?

Old 05-13-2015, 10:52 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
Did he say it was because you're a girl? Or does your little brother just not want you to die and he'd do anything he could to prevent it?

I think maybe male sympathetic nervous systems (the flight or fight response thing) are maybe wired a bit different than women?

Of course, if an avalanche was coming toward your brother, wouldn't you try to push him out of the way as well?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:15 PM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Been this way forever. Women and children first.

Taking all the romanticism out of it, there is probably a biological imperative. Women carry and care for children and can only have so many children during a reproductive life. A single male however can breed multiple times and father many children. So from a pure nature perspective, females are more valuable than males and need to be protected. Not because they are weak (the feminist argument) but because of the relatively limited amount of offspring individuals provide.

Not very romantic is it. But probably some part of the underlying cause.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:36 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Taking all the romanticism out of it, there is probably a biological imperative. Women carry and care for children and can only have so many children during a reproductive life. A single male however can breed multiple times and father many children. So from a pure nature perspective, females are more valuable than males and need to be protected. Not because they are weak (the feminist argument) but because of the relatively limited amount of offspring individuals provide.

While this is all true, I doubt that a 13 year-old boy has consciously considered it.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Did he say it was because you're a girl? Or does your little brother just not want you to die and he'd do anything he could to prevent it?

I think maybe male sympathetic nervous systems (the flight or fight response thing) are maybe wired a bit different than women?

Of course, if an avalanche was coming toward your brother, wouldn't you try to push him out of the way as well?
He doesn't want me to get hurt or killed and would let in the way before I even have a chance to.
Yes, off course I would do the same too.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Very interesting and good point. Haven't thought about that one but yes, it does makes sense. Thank your for sharing this.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
While this is all true, I doubt that a 13 year-old boy has consciously considered it.
If it's innate it isn't something that would need to be consciously considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships