Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:11 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
My grandpa died yesterday and I had just booked a ticket to Germany the night before. I was going to hangout in Berlin for a while and ride my bike up to Copenhagen to visit my cousins, maybe jump over to London. All in all about 6 weeks. I haven't committed anything besides about $350 for a 1-way ticket. Now I feel a bit torn about going since I don't really have much purpose to being over there except to goof off, and maybe my dad and grandma would like me to be around for the rest of the summer (I live about 10 min away from them). OTOH my dad is usually annoyed by my presence otherwise, so maybe he'd rather me be on a different continent during the grieving process. Also, I am sort of sad and maybe I shouldn't be alone by myself in a different country at this time. What would you do?
ASK dad and grandma...If you make it to the funeral, you should be good to go.

BUT: you are right they may want you around,,so JUST ASK ALREADY!

Your Grandmother may say "your grandfather would want you to go, so get out of here already"!!!

Turn your trip into something educational...check out colleges there, and something else like that.

good luck and have a great time...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Go. A week after the funeral? Just do it.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 AM

379 posts, read 359,384 times
I'd ask but would be pretty awkward, we're not really a 'talking' kind of family.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
I'm 40 and live in the same suburb as my parents, grandparents, and a number of aunts and uncles. If I stayed I'd just be working. My relationship with the grandparents is pretty good, but gramps didn't really remember who I was the past couple of years.
It's time you grow up and make your own decisions about how to live your life.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:25 AM

379 posts, read 359,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's time you grow up and make your own decisions about how to live your life.
Thanks for the kind words, random internet loser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships