Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times

Advertisements

I have a family friend, I am 30ish and she is in her 50s. She has always seemed normal but once her kid did tell me "my mom is full on crazy" but didn't tell me more then that.

She and I talk 1-2 times a month. It's always been normal...she is lovely and sweet.

3 or 4 calls ago she started to tell me how aliens have been breaking into her house, doing all sorts of crazy things. I validated her, wanting to hear more. Boy, did I hear more. Gps tracking, stealing and returning years later, etc. it's a lot of odd stuff.

A couple days ago she really opened up and now I know she is very delusional. She told me she doesn't tell her family these things because they just think she is crazy.

My worry is this is something new and could be a medical or treatable issue that her family needs to know about. I don't want her to know I am not on her "side" because I want her to tell me what is going on so I can tell if things get worse.

So I feel like I should talk to her family. Options

1) let it go and assume they know

2) contact her husband (I don't have his contact info so it would be hard)

3) contact her daughter, oldest, but tends to be focused on "perfect" family

4) contact her son and talk to him. He is guarded but the one that told me she is crazy.

5) any other options I haven't thought of.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 09:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
I wouldn't let it go. While it's possible her family is aware she is delusional, they may not know she is talking to other people about her paranoia. If you don't have contact information for her husband, start with one of the kids, let them know you are concerned about their mother, and ask if they can they put you in touch with their father.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:35 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,485,072 times
She might be off her meds. Let her family know. There is not much else you can do. I met a lady once that seemed perfectly fine during out quilting meetings. But once, while her meds were not working well, we got an earful of her paranoia. She even told us of an encounter with police where they called for a code (she did not know what it was) and we knew it was a mental health referral.

Otherwise she was fine and living on her own. It was kind of scary realizing how she could bounce from one state to another when the meds were not in her.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:33 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I wouldn't let it go. While it's possible her family is aware she is delusional, they may not know she is talking to other people about her paranoia. If you don't have contact information for her husband, start with one of the kids, let them know you are concerned about their mother, and ask if they can they put you in touch with their father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
She might be off her meds. Let her family know. There is not much else you can do. I met a lady once that seemed perfectly fine during out quilting meetings. But once, while her meds were not working well, we got an earful of her paranoia. She even told us of an encounter with police where they called for a code (she did not know what it was) and we knew it was a mental health referral.

Otherwise she was fine and living on her own. It was kind of scary realizing how she could bounce from one state to another when the meds were not in her.
I agree. Tell her family.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:39 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,317,297 times
Anonymously mail/write a letter to her family.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:03 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
I would contact the son who told you his mother is crazy and let him know that she's having serious delusions. Then leave it alone.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I would contact the son who told you his mother is crazy and let him know that she's having serious delusions. Then leave it alone.
I agree with this. It sounds like the family already know about it - but if you think she's getting worse, or stopped taking her meds, and is hiding it from them, I would talk to the son since he is the one who sort of opened up to you and told you she is crazy. But once you give him a heads up, stay out of it. The family have obviously been dealing with this for a while and probably know how to handle it.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:09 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Thanks everyone. I contacted the family and they are aware of what is going on and are on top of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships