Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 03:50 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times

Advertisements

Friends who are clueless as how they parent their kid(s) :ducks:

I was recently at a party. And witnessed a mother repeatedly smacking her curious toddler's hand for things she was getting into & overheard her swearing at her child. And the father of the child was almost as bad as well ignoring her babbling "dadda dadda" wanting to be picked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 03:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Friends who are clueless as how they parent their kid(s) :ducks:

I was recently at a party. And witnessed a mother repeatedly smacking her curious toddler's hand for things she was getting into & overheard her swearing at her child. And the father of the child was almost as bad as well ignoring her babbling "dadda dadda" wanting to be picked up.
Good point. This is a big one.
I have only now recently realized how much of this I have been seeing.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:52 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
These things would make me stop being your friend:

murder
theft
cruelty to animals
abusive behavior (physical, verbal, or sexual)
general sociopathic behavior (pathological lying, manipulating people to get what you want, harming others and not caring, etc.)

Old 08-30-2015, 03:55 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
There's a lot of reasons I would disown and have disowned friends, but for one that has not been mentioned:

Declawing their cat(s).

Old 08-30-2015, 04:08 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
Meanness and talking about me behind my back.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:06 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
PICK ONE? NO WAY!

Drug abuse
Alcohol consumption
Frequent inappropriate language
Treats others poorly
Annoying behaviors (talking/whining too much, eating with food in mouth, frequently late, etc.)
Unsympathetic towards my health issues
Unbelievers (I'm a Christian)
Practices sexual immorality (I don't want to hear detailed stories about your one-night stand and I won't cover for your affair)
Lying
Greed
Inability to forgive
Inability to apologize
Refusing to take responsibility for their actions
Lazy
Financially irresponsible

Old 08-30-2015, 06:33 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Good point. This is a big one.
I have only now recently realized how much of this I have been seeing.
Although, not having children of my own, I've taken plenty of Child Development classes in H.S. & College, done my share of babysitting & volunteering with kids, along with 18 months working with toddler-age children at a daycare center, curiosity is normal in children. It's how they learn. To encourage positive behavior, redirecting them to age-appropriate activities works well.

I don't see anything wrong with an occasional spanking or swat on the hand. As a primary means of punishment, yes, it makes me cringe & feel bad for the kid.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:55 PM

607 posts, read 602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
Lying about anything? You wouldn't have any friends left. Lies about what?
Agreed - because everyone tells little white lies, at least...it's human nature.

I would cut a friend off for lying, too--but about really big things/issues. Also, for viciously bashing me behind my back/lying ABOUT me, and for badly hurting someone I love on purpose.

I recently had something happen with someone I've known since 2008, who I thought was a good friend...we HAD been good friends, or so I thought--until she made a Facebook post about me & another friend, saying mean things about us and lying about us in regards to an incident that came up between us all. I found out because, although she filtered me & the other friend out of the post so we couldn't see it, she forgot to filter my sister out of the post, and my sister showed it to me.

I was really shocked and hurt--I couldn't believe she would go behind my back and do that, instead of coming to ME and voicing her concerns/upset (the issue was ridiculous, too - it was over something that happened that was an accident, and she acted like it was on purpose). I told her how hurt I was, and all I got was, "I'm sorry you feel that way" and then she unfriended me on Facebook, and subsequently in real life, too. I was extremely angry that she treated me like that after all I did for her and how much I was there for her; but even more than that, it was sad and disappointing. She suffers from really bad depression and always has problems in her relationships--and now I realize the common denominator is her. I just happened to avoid being on her "bad side" for that long.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:56 PM

607 posts, read 602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
PICK ONE? NO WAY!

Drug abuse
Alcohol consumption
Frequent inappropriate language
Treats others poorly
Annoying behaviors (talking/whining too much, eating with food in mouth, frequently late, etc.)
Unsympathetic towards my health issues
Unbelievers (I'm a Christian)
Practices sexual immorality (I don't want to hear detailed stories about your one-night stand and I won't cover for your affair)
Lying
Greed
Inability to forgive
Inability to apologize
Refusing to take responsibility for their actions
Lazy
Financially irresponsible
.........do you have any friends?! lol

Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
Agreed - because everyone tells little white lies, at least...it's human nature.

I would cut a friend off for lying, too--but about really big things/issues. Also, for viciously bashing me behind my back/lying ABOUT me, and for badly hurting someone I love on purpose.

I recently had something happen with someone I've known since 2008, who I thought was a good friend...we HAD been good friends, or so I thought--until she made a Facebook post about me & another friend, saying mean things about us and lying about us in regards to an incident that came up between us all. I found out because, although she filtered me & the other friend out of the post so we couldn't see it, she forgot to filter my sister out of the post, and my sister showed it to me.

I was really shocked and hurt--I couldn't believe she would go behind my back and do that, instead of coming to ME and voicing her concerns/upset (the issue was ridiculous, too - it was over something that happened that was an accident, and she acted like it was on purpose). I told her how hurt I was, and all I got was, "I'm sorry you feel that way" and then she unfriended me on Facebook, and subsequently in real life, too. I was extremely angry that she treated me like that after all I did for her and how much I was there for her; but even more than that, it was sad and disappointing. She suffers from really bad depression and always has problems in her relationships--and now I realize the common denominator is her. I just happened to avoid being on her "bad side" for that long.
Facebook will eventually destroy relationships and I'm glad I don't have one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships