Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:43 AM

233 posts, read 417,937 times

Advertisements

Clear it out of your mind and don't think about it. Getting involved in others people's family affairs is only going to get them mad at you, it's not going to "solve" anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 08:53 AM

692 posts, read 1,004,771 times
Quote:
I'm finding it hard to find the story believable.
Oh yes these people exist. I have a failure to launch bil who is 50 and only lived away from home for a year or 2. No job. hangs out with his buds several nights a week. Hasn't had a job since the 90's cuz he doesn't feel like working and mil foots all his bills, insurance and provides him with transportation. He pays no rent. BIL has no illness, social or mental. Some college. Very smart. Very talented, but very lazy and manipulative with MIL. Since she's knocking on 80 he now keeps her company along with her cats. He has an equally loser, inexplicably clingy girlfriend who hangs out at mil's house as often as possible cuz she desperately wants to live there and has no friends. MIL doesn't like her, but is afraid bil will leave if she doesn't accomodate the girlfriend. Leave and go where? We don't need judge judy or springer. We just stand back and watch them.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
A previous poster had the same situation, you should read his thread because he was given good advice when he posted the first time!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...ants-move.html

Old 09-03-2015, 08:54 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
None of your business. If your friend doesn't kick her out and likes that arrangement, don't worry about it.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:06 AM

127 posts, read 165,223 times
Itsnt bad having kids living with you in your old age. People pay money to companions, why not your own kid who feels lost? If one likes it and can afford it then what's the issue? Would you rather send them on street?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:07 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dividend View Post
Isn't it the role of a close friend to get involved when someone is letting them be taken advantage of?
You sound like a very meddlesome friend.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Should her friends or family get involved?
Mind your own business. The kid is a loser for sure, but there is nothing you can do about it.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:14 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
Default 50 year old Brother in Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Oh yes these people exist. I have a failure to launch bil who is 50 and only lived away from home for a year or 2. No job. hangs out with his buds several nights a week. Hasn't had a job since the 90's cuz he doesn't feel like working and mil foots all his bills, insurance and provides him with transportation. He pays no rent. BIL has no illness, social or mental. Some college. Very smart. Very talented, but very lazy and manipulative with MIL. Since she's knocking on 80 he now keeps her company along with her cats. He has an equally loser, inexplicably clingy girlfriend who hangs out at mil's house as often as possible cuz she desperately wants to live there and has no friends. MIL doesn't like her, but is afraid bil will leave if she doesn't accomodate the girlfriend. Leave and go where? We don't need judge judy or springer. We just stand back and watch them.
think of it as a live in caregiver, at least the MIL has somebody to watch over her and keep her company

some elderly people have nobody to help them, it's better than leaving her all alone.

she helps him, he helps her, they are all happy.

he's her protector, I bet he does chores and takes her to doctor appointments and shopping, etc.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times
Quote:
I am very concerned about a close friend of mine. She has a daughter who is in her forties who moved in with Mom and Dad after she lost her job in the Great Recession in 2009. Now 6 years later the daughter still lives with her parents and still does not have a job and not a dime to her name.

The daughter is living a life similar to a teenage girl but without school and a part time job to keep her busy. She does not drive and has no money and does not contribute to the household in any way. Other than sleeping, she just hangs around the house and watches television and reads. The daughter has no kids, does not involve herself in volunteer work or attend church.

My friend does not think it a big thing. Should her friends or family get involved?

Do you know any adults in their forties who live with their parents and don't work or contribute to the household at all?
There are LOTS of Gen X children in their 40's living at their parent's home after years of employment so I wouldn't make issue. I've seen this at the unemployment offices, speaking anecdotally with the agents there.

Reason being, many Gen X are not necessarily lazy, but they are the unlucky generation having lived through a 10 year period of economic turmoil during what should have been their prime earning years. First the dotcom bust after most graduated from college, and then the financial bust. Many Gen X were priced out of the housing market in the 2000's and if they bought, they bought the high and many went bankrupt or foreclosed. These life events can be traumatic. Gen X represents the highest indebted generation of the 3, (Gen X, Millenials and Boomers) as a ratio to each gen's total population count.

Another reason why this is happening and is common is because Boomers have disproportional wealth vs the latter generations. The Boomers were lucky to have bought homes in the 70's and 80's and saw their home values triple. Their 401k's have recovered and still stable, and now they are receiving social security that many don't even need.

With incomes rising so slowly, it behooves Gen X to just move back home. The estate is eventually theirs anyway, is the thinking.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
I am very concerned about a close friend of mine. She has a daughter who is in her forties who moved in with Mom and Dad after she lost her job in the Great Recession in 2009. Now 6 years later the daughter still lives with her parents and still does not have a job and not a dime to her name.

The daughter is living a life similar to a teenage girl but without school and a part time job to keep her busy. She does not drive and has no money and does not contribute to the household in any way. Other than sleeping, she just hangs around the house and watches television and reads. The daughter has no kids, does not involve herself in volunteer work or attend church.

My friend does not think it a big thing. Should her friends or family get involved?

Do you know any adults in their forties who live with their parents and don't work or contribute to the household at all?
Unless the friend complains to you a lot, or asks for advice, stay out of it. your friend may enjoy her daughter being around. BUt if she asks for advice, then give it as you see fit.

IF she complains to much, then tell her you what you would do, and then say "if you don't want to do what I think you should do, then stop complaining to me about it."

I have a friend whose 25 y/o finally is "moved out" and HAS a job, but parties away the money earned. Every month, guess who pays the rent on the child's apartment? Guess what hey do when the child shows up at their home saying "I'm hungry and have no food"? guess what my friend {and spouse} do when the child has their second car but can't pay the insurance part? guess what my friend does when the kid has no gas in the car?

I have told My Friend {he} what I think and have told him "NO MORE WHINING TO me about it, I DON'T Want to hear it anymore"i!!!! When He starts a new tale about the kid, I say "I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!"

That should stop your concerns,If not, STAY OUT OF it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships