Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it bother you if people show up with out calling?
Yes 174 74.04%
No 61 25.96%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:20 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times

Advertisements

IMO, the only possible truthful answer is "It depends on who it is!"
Our son has a tendency to drop by now and then, and just walk in without knocking. That's OK. Our daughter does the same, but less frequently. That's OK, too.
Very few other people drop by. That, too, is OK by me., I don't feel that UPS or Fedex can be expected to call ahead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 09:49 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I was painting the dining room when I have people show up to stay for a few days without a call. My house was not up to par as I had to take down wallpaper and scrape off all the glue .. I was frazzled at that moment they showed up with suitcases in hand. They were supposed to come a few days later and came a few days early.
Oh he11 no! You cannot come to stay with me and show up days early. First, my schedule is not such that I am going to drop all my plans and entertain them because they can't make a simple phone call to ask if it's convenient. They knew it wouldn't be, that's why they didn't call first is my guess. If I've made a commitment to friend A to do something and friend B shows up unannounced and expects me to change my plans (and my other friends') to make him happy, just not cool. The world does not revolve around the inconsiderate person, and I don't like to reward that kind of behavior.

In this world of everyone having a cellphone, there's really no excuse for not calling ahead. Now if it's just a neighbor from the street dropping by for a minute to ask something, that's no big deal, and if I'm not busy I might ask them in for a beer or ice tea. But coming early, whether it's a half hour or a couple days, is just not cool. People need time to clean up the house and themselves and prepare food or what have you.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:51 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
We never have drop-ins. We make plans in advance and it seems all our friends and family do too, or in rare cases someone might text to see if we're around if they are going to be nearby later that day.

I know drop-ins seemed more common when I was a kid, but I wonder if because my mom and so many others were SAHMs that they weren't doing housework, laundry, etc on the weekends and had a Saturday more open and available to drop by for visits.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:07 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
No, not at all.

I might be a little embarrassed at laundry in the den, etc., but if you're my friend, that shouldn't matter. And if you don't call before you come, what you see is what you get. :-)

Old 09-13-2015, 10:13 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
Drove me berserk. I'd show up to the door with my proverbial "guns loaded". It was always a stranger peddling their wares. I'd be nice but firm.
It' so "rural", be it a friend...

Old 09-13-2015, 10:43 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Hell yeah, I'd have an issue with it. I would hope my friends would have enough respect for my spot to call and ASK if they want to come over to my apartment. Popping in on me like poof, I have a friend whose probation officer is more respectful than that.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:52 AM

48 posts, read 42,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
I have had people do this to me, and it drives me insane. The way my house is set up you can see my front room through the door so I can't pretend I am not at home. I don't mind close family parents or grand parents but any one else bugs the crap out of me.
It would be unheard of. How grossly rude to do that to someone. I would ignore the doorbell. And I would get a new door so people couldn't see in. Sounds like if you can tell when you're home, you can probably tell when you're not, and might as well hang a sign for a burglar: "Free stereo! Free TV!"

Old 09-13-2015, 11:24 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
I always prefer to call..."Hey, are you busy right now?" I think it's just common courtesy, and I expect the same from others.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:01 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I hate it when people come to my door without calling.

I will not answer my door.

However, I live in a secure building that you cannot get into without a code or a key.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:37 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
with me, its not about how I'm dressed, but I cherish my down alone time, and certainly want a call if your coming to visit. Now, family no, but others, absolutely, I want the option to say, this isn't a good time, I'm getting company, or I had plans for today.

and if someone shows up unannounced, that is exactly what I'd tell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships