Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:35 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times

Advertisements

First, I'm no Luddite. I love my iPhone, it let's me do a lot of incredible things and saves me an incredible amount of time but...

(not my family just a picture I grabbed off the net)

I am sick and tired of family dinners where everyone is sitting around the table texting. I've tried everything from confiscating all the phones - you'd have thought I was a the wicked witch coming for their first born - I even suggested that the next time we would order food to be delivered to everyone's house and then we would just eat together using Facetime!

The use of smart phones and freaking social media has just become freaking nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
First, I'm no Luddite. I love my iPhone, it let's me do a lot of incredible things and saves me an incredible amount of time but...

I am sick and tired of family dinners where everyone is sitting around the table texting. I've tried everything from confiscating all the phones - you'd have thought I was a the wicked witch coming for their first born - I even suggested that the next time we would order food to be delivered to everyone's house and then we would just eat together using Facetime!

The use of smart phones and freaking social media has just become freaking nuts!
I feel your pain! My phone is off half the time. When my kids come to visit I turn it off, until they all start talking "car and Jeep parts" then I get on C-D......

That is a lot of people not caring what each other has to say.......

Old 09-15-2015, 11:45 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
I agree... I have an iPhone as well. To be honest though, it's overkill for me. I need to check email on it, and I have a few useful apps like American Airlines, our internet camera network, barcode reader, etc. I have FB on it, but didn't bother downloading the messanger part of it.

Older people (30's and up) aren't tethered to their phones nearly as much as teens and 20-somethings. So I don't have a huge problem with groups of friends texting constantly, they'll just check their phones occasionally, then put them away. In contrast, I've seen teens all in a group huddled over their phones and never look up at each other for 15 minutes straight.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:58 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Sorry, I was checking Instagram, did you say something?

In all seriousness, I leave my phone in my car while I'm at work, and sometimes will check it when I go on lunch. So I basically go from 9ish to 5ish without my phone, outside of checking it for important messages for about 10 minutes.

However, I'm pretty guilty of having my face buried in my phone when I'm in social settings, on dates (lol) or hanging out with ladies/friends. I joked with my roommate the other day about how once I find out I'm doing something social that night, I need to make sure my iPhone is charged to at least 90%.

Believe it or not, I'm not as tethered to my phone as much as I used to be (age 26).

Old 09-15-2015, 12:00 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
5 Ways to Deal With Dinner Party Guests Who Won't Put Down Their Phones | The Kitchn

Personally, I'm not spending days cooking an cleaning just have folks over who are going to sit around texting when they are supposed to be coming for dinner to BE we with family and friends. And being with doesn't mean just being physically present. Not going to happen, I'm done! Stay your ass home!!!

Old 09-15-2015, 12:12 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
I don't have one. I have a Blackberry Bold through work. It does phone calls, my work email, and texting. It's FREE. In fact, I've never paid for a cellphone or cellphone service. I figure I've saved $8000 or more. My girlfriend has an iPhone. I like the texting on my Bold a lot more. But we use her iPhone for navigation, so it can be helpful.

The BB Bold does internet, if by internet you mean waiting 3 minutes for CNN's home page to appear. The only time I think a smartphone of my own would be handy is when I'm waiting in a waiting room or a line, by myself.

We may very well reach a point where social interaction is primarily through devices, whether it's phones, social media, VR or AR, etc. Your figurative example (stay home and interact through video chat) may become literal in a decade or less. It's a new paradigm.

Smartphones make it very easy to feel "plugged in," and that feeling becomes psychologically addictive fairly quickly. It's a great way to push endorphins around the brain, little bits of cheese just from punching a button. Once you're habituated to that it's difficult to extract yourself, especially when you have little impetus for doing so and everyone's in the same cage. Humans have never had it so good / bad.

The question is, where do we see technology taking us in 10 years, 25 years, 50 years?

Last edited by Nepenthe; 09-15-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 12:46 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I have a Blackberry Bold. It does phone calls, my work email, and texting. It's FREE. In fact, I've never paid for a cellphone or cellphone service.
How did you do this?

Old 09-15-2015, 12:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Welcome to the new connected world.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:08 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
How did you do this?
Sorry, I left out the words "through work." I put them back in the original post.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:53 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post

I'm with ya. What really gets me, is when I see a couple out on a date (presumably), but both people are staring at their respective phones a good part of the time. How romantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships