Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:48 PM

15,177 posts, read 27,943,640 times

Advertisements

The entire time I was married - 21 yrs, my late husbands' cousin (she's 20 yrs. older) and I talked on the phone ALL the time, I visited, etc. - since he passed last year, I visited the cousins daughter (2nd/3rd?) - whatever. Her and I talked ALOT... but it has seriously slacked off.

I am realizing, sadly, that I guess I am no longer part of the family (even though they SAY I am), get togethers, etc. - without me although there was one for a 50th Anniversary that I was invited to but - 6 hr. drive away and hotel, etc., I couldn't do it.

I have no family nearby (and my family has issues/is not normal so loved feeling like I was part of them). Same w/late husbands' friends, who I thought were mine as well - only one keeps in touch, I get invited to the usual holidays, sometimes.

I am not looking for pity, I guess rather looking for "what do you do when you don't have family nearby?"

He wasn't terribly outgoing and we had a usual "Cheers" type place that we went to initially until it closed up - since then, we didn't go out much and although I'm outgoing, I didn't get to meet others (I'm on disability so don't work anymore and that seems to be how you meet folks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 07:27 PM

22,540 posts, read 12,121,305 times
I think it's sad that when one loses a spouse, the spouse's family seems to disappear. That said, I'm sorry for your loss.

My brother died over 2 years ago. When he passed, I let my SIL know that she will always be my SIL, no matter what. The sad thing, is that my other brother isn't talking to her anymore (long story---but she didn't deserve that).

What she does to keep busy is to get involved in activities that interest her and are near where she lives. Her mother is still alive so she spends time looking out for her mom.

Think about your interests, then look around for any activities related to them. From what I recall from your NoVA postings, you live in an area where lots of things are going on.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:30 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,429,169 times
It's been a year. People don't know how to respond when someone is grieving. They don't want to bother you and they do t know what to say to you. It's very common. You need to reach out. They will respond. :-)

Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 PM

48,643 posts, read 35,142,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
orphaned
Moderator cut: orphaned response

It's normal for family to drift off in these cases (I lost my first husband at 40).

You need to make friends, and at least start thinking about dating in the future.

Do you have any hobbies or interests? Classes you can take? Anything look good on Meetup.com?

Any ideas that appeal to you?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-14-2015 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Regal sin is no longer available

Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 PM

5,400 posts, read 6,576,536 times
I am sorry for your loss.

Is there something you can volunteer to do that would make you feel part of the community? For example libraries and sometimes schools have volunteer readers for story hour or volunteers to listen to children reading. There also may be adult education programs that assist adults with literacy improvement that might need volunteers.

You may consider joining a grief counseling group. Others have gone through similar situations and being part of a group might help you feel less alone. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,981,201 times
I moved to 2 cities s an adult when I knew nobody there. I made friends through work and neighbors. We "made" our family.[u]. I hosted holiday dinners for the singles or older couples. Potluck, I do the turkey, they bring everything else. I have also used meetup.com to find activities and some kindred souls. Don't sit back and wait for life to find you, go out and grab it! oh, and I was over 55 when I first moved.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:02 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,469,332 times
OP, Alexandria has some fantastic opportunities for volunteering and various classes that fit most interests. I think if you were to volunteer or sign up for some classes, you would meet new people and develop friendships.

I do think your cousin means it when she says you're still family simply because you were married to your husband for 21 years. After 21 years, you are part of the family! Because everyone grieves differently, perhaps they just don't want to say something that might upset you. I think you should continue to make efforts to regularly keep in touch with her. And if you guys are as close as you imply, perhaps you could talk about her about your feelings. That is what friends are for, after all.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:47 AM

15,177 posts, read 27,943,640 times
Thank you all Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-14-2015 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Rude poster's post is not here anymore.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:36 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,936,931 times
I'm really sorry. When my sister passed, we had a similar thing. Her friends became close like family to me. But over time they just sort of went on with their lives and I fell off the radar. And I have worked to keep them in my life. But...I guess all we had in common really was my sister. I also mourned a lot longer...I still do. I bummed them out, I guess.

As for no family around, you got to get out there as best as you can. As lonely as you might be, there are lots of others feeling the same way. And also looking for a connection. Volunteering, church, a regular watering hole, a hobby group.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:51 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,797,486 times
Sorry to hear about your loss. I agree with the suggestions to volunteer. Many organizations just need help responding emails so you could start slowly. The other thing I will suggest is to get a pet. You will still need to get out and meet new people but they provide good companionship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships